What was the best winning brassline of the last 25 years?

171 members have voted

1. 1. What was the overall best winning brassline of the last 25 years?

• 2012 Carolina Crown
    • 2011 Carolina Crown
    • 2010 Blue Devils
    • 2009 Carolina Crown
    • 2008 Blue Devils
    • 2007 Blue Devils
    • 2006 Cavaliers
    • 2005 Cadets
    • 2004 Blue Devils
    • 2003 Blue Devils
    • 2002 Cavaliers
    • 2001 Blue Devils
    • 2000 Cadets
    • 1999 Blue Devils
    • 1998 Blue Devils
    • 1997 Blue Devils
    • 1996 Phantom Regiment
    • 1995 Blue Devils
    • 1994 Blue Devils
    • 1993 Blue Devils
    • 1992 Star of Indiana
    • 1991 Star of Indiana
    • 1990 Star of Indiana
    • 1989 Phantom Regiment
    • 1988 Madison Scouts
  2. 2. What was the loudest winning brassline of the last 25 years?

• 2012 Carolina Crown
    • 2011 Carolina Crown
    • 2010 Blue Devils
    • 2009 Carolina Crown
    • 2008 Blue Devils
    • 2007 Blue Devils
    • 2006 Cavaliers
    • 2005 Cadets
    • 2004 Blue Devils
    • 2003 Blue Devils
    • 2002 Cavaliers
    • 2001 Blue Devils
    • 2000 Cadets
    • 1999 Blue Devils
    • 1998 Blue Devils
    • 1997 Blue Devils
    • 1996 Phantom Regiment
    • 1995 Blue Devils
    • 1994 Blue Devils
    • 1993 Blue Devils
    • 1992 Star of Indiana
    • 1991 Star of Indiana
    • 1990 Star of Indiana
    • 1989 Phantom Regiment
    • 1988 Madison Scouts

To the OP, I think BD tied for brass in 1991. Ditto Madison, BD, and Cadets in 1995.

The website I saw shows 1995 BD with a 9.7, and 1995 Madison and Cadets with a 9.6.

You're right about 1991 though. I'm only allowed 25 choices though... what can I do? lol

To all, I know this poll will be skewed towards the most recent shows. Still, it's always a fun subject to debate!

• Like 1

BD '93 that horn book was just and probably their best sop line ever. Loudest has to be BD '99...the music getting louder as that wedge pushed to the back of the field was just an unreal experience live.

• Like 1

Best overall brass line in terms of playing and sound quality to me was Cavies '02. The intonation there was perfect.

Loudest I put down Star '90, I'm surprised it hasn't been more popular. That or BD '99. That wedge in the ballad is just mind-blowing, even on video.

• Like 2

Maybe you should get your facts straight before you post a poll, lol....jeez.

You are right about 88. 91 was already discussed, but due to the maximum amount of 25 answers per question, there's not much I can do about it. Also, 1995 brass, according to this website, was not a 3 way tie.

http://www.fromthepressbox.com/19950812div1finals.htm

Also, there's absolutely no need to be rude.

• Like 1

Best overall brass line in terms of playing and sound quality to me was Cavies '02. The intonation there was perfect.

Loudest I put down Star '90, I'm surprised it hasn't been more popular. That or BD '99. That wedge in the ballad is just mind-blowing, even on video.

I didn't think Star '90 was the loudest, but I put it down as the best. Madison '88 was probably louder to my ears, and I didn't actually hear Star '90 on finals night.

I think Cadets 2000 was pretty darned loud!

Caies '02 certainly had some great intonation.

I didn't think Star '90 was the loudest, but I put it down as the best. Madison '88 was probably louder to my ears, and I didn't actually hear Star '90 on finals night.

I think Cadets 2000 was pretty darned loud!

Caies '02 certainly had some great intonation.

I wasn't quite alive for Star '90, missed it by a couple of months, so I'm basing everything off video. They were very, very loud on that video. And Star did always play with such great sound quality. Loud, but in tune and in tone

Cavies '02 was amazing, the amount of control and intonation they played with. But I did figure this poll would favor the more recent shows.

• Like 1

This. And that's why, as good as they were technique/agility-wise, I still had to put 2012 Crown 2nd.

There's more to brass playing than clean 16th note runs, and 2002 Cavaliers are still unmatched in most of those qualities.

Loudest was a bit more difficult. A lot of people put BD 99, but I saw them in Madison and don't recall them being that exorbitantly louder than Scouts, Cadets or Glassmen that year.

I ended up going with 89 Phantom but, whereas "best" line really comes to only a few choices, "loudest" has a ton of corps you could choose and I wouldn't argue.

The all-time LOUDEST brass line I've ever heard was 96 BD, but they didn't win brass at Finals (so they aren't in the poll)! Still, I remember the 96 Moonlight Classic in Stockton at the Stagg Bowl, running down to field level for the victory standstill performance. I leaned on the railing right over the field, and felt the concrete stadium beneath my feet vibrating and shaking when they blasted off that immense opener from ~10 feet away. I still have hearing damage. It was glorious.

:worthy:

• Like 4