Troopers 2013

The sad part about this is that the person(s) who were offended by the American style flag would probably be okay with this [communist] one.

I think that unlikely. The most ardent supporters of the flag code tend to be conservative, and therfore unlikely to support the hammer and sickle.

True story:

My first year in Rockford ('89) I had just finished a couple of years of Russian language courses. I was wearing a shirt the Russian Club sold that year that had this on it (state seal of the USSR):

600px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg.png

One of the lead sops, sorry that I can't remember his name, came up to me at rehearsal and stood nose to nose with me. He said "You're not some kind of <bleep>ing communist, are you?"

True story:

My first year in Rockford ('89) I had just finished a couple of years of Russian language courses. I was wearing a shirt the Russian Club sold that year that had this on it (state seal of the USSR):

600px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg.png

One of the lead sops, sorry that I can't remember his name, came up to me at rehearsal and stood nose to nose with me. He said "You're not some kind of <bleep>ing communist, are you?"

Did he get the answer he was hoping for ? (haha!)

Did he get the answer he was hoping for ? (haha!)

My response was something like "D-d-dude! It's just a shirt!"

Quick question: I just watched the Bluecoats show and noticed them using the American flag (or at least a representation...hard to tell on Fan Network). Are they going to have to do something different as well?

Good question. I would imagine that neither corps had to do anything, (if Bluecoats have even had anything said to them) Of course, competitively, they are not in the same boat as Troopers with regard to having to make such a change.

Both corps use flags that are not true representations of the national colors. Although in the concept of both shows that has to be the intent.

Bluecoats use numerous "flags" that are spun and appear to touch the ground in their opener.

Troopers use a single "flag" in their opener that is spun and appears to touch the ground.

The single Trooper "flag" appears again in the closer and is spun and appears to touch the ground. It is also used as a conduit to follow through the remainder of the show, but is not used in guard flag work.

I would also imagine that no one in these corps intended to offend or upset anyone with the presentations of the "flags."

Unfortunately, we live in the land of the free and the home of the offended.

I still say that Troopers should tell em to pound sand. Sideways. With a red hot poker.

Bring back the flag!

Of course, competitively, they are not in the same boat as Troopers with regard to having to make such a change.

I'm sure Bluecoats would say they need every tenth of a point they can get. The Troopers would say the same; however, you can make the argument that points are more precious to Troopers than they are to Bluecoats because Troop is competing for a spot in finals, where 0.05 points could make the difference. Bloo is performing on Saturday no matter what.

Thus, even if judges also are giving Bluecoats a hard time about their flags, Bloo can better afford to ignore the complaints. Troop is in a no-win position. Either they get rid of the flag, keep the judges happy and hurt their GE; or they keep the flag, keep their GE, and risk the wrath of judges.

I'm sure Bluecoats would say they need every tenth of a point they can get. The Troopers would say the same; however, you can make the argument that points are more precious to Troopers than they are to Bluecoats because Troop is competing for a spot in finals, where 0.05 points could make the difference. Bloo is performing on Saturday no matter what.

Thus, even if judges also are giving Bluecoats a hard time about their flags, Bloo can better afford to ignore the complaints. Troop is in a no-win position. Either they get rid of the flag, keep the judges happy and hurt their GE; or they keep the flag, keep their GE, and risk the wrath of judges.

Thank you. You said it better than I. One other consideration is placement/appearance fees. I would bet that the difference between a finalist corps and an 18th place corps doing between 25-30 shows would be between 15K-20K. A monetary difference to any corps. So yes, every tenth counts. To some more than to others.

Want to see if I have this straight.

Troop comes out with, by all accounts, an enjoyable show that garners decent scores and fan reaction. They are scoring relatively well head to head against their competitive group. This includes vis scores that reflect this close competition. This initial response and scoring is with the "flag" in question.

A judge(s) allegedly say something about the "flag" in question and it's utilization. Troopers remove the "flag" from the show completely and competitive scoring against the same group over the next two nights, including vis scores, stagnates.

Define irony.

Put the flag back and tell em to pound sand. Sideways. With a red hot poker.

Let's flood DCI shows with "bring back the flag" cries! I think it's ridiculous to pander to whoever it was that had a problem. Just change the flag work a little, but that flag is a show ICON. IT MUST COME BACK!!!

• Like 1

Why do I have this feeling that if some corps, other than Troopers, made it look like the CG was wiping their butts with American flags the judges would love it! But, since the use of this flag brings out patriotic responses from the crowds the powers-that-be tell Troop to take it out! Screw the judges and put the flags back in!

• Like 2

Saw the Troopers at Madison's show and really liked them a lot. After some previous years where I questioned the programming, this show screams Troopers. I know Chris Komnick of the Madison Scouts likes to talk about "the Scouts brand." It sure appears a similar thought process is at work with this year's Troopers. Good for them!

Edited by Jim Anello
  • Like 1