Troopers 2013

The flag of controversy was back last night carried by an old friend.

Awesome show.

Last night's show was fantastic. Yes, I'm a huge Trooper HONK, but this year's show is so exactly what many had hoped it would be when we heard the repertoire. And the sunburst is one of the best I have ever seen!!! Sure, it's not the same exactly thing as before, but who cares? It's effective to an extreme!

Our "old friend" was a very welcome sight. I hope many others get the chance to greet them as enthusiastically as Casper did last night. What a great home show. Congratulations, Troopers organization, for a show well done! The volunteer staff worked their tails off all day long to pull off the pre-show gala event AND the show itself, and I am in awe of what all of those folks can put together.

Our alumni tent silent auction went fabulously as well - what a day it was.

• Like 1

Not to be Captain Obvious here, but if Troopers really wanted to feature the actual colors during the sunburst, it'd be easy enough to do. They already have one on the truck for parades and retreat - put it on the field, guarded, and make it part of the color pre/sunburst.

I'm a pretty aggressive First Amendment fan, but also less than thrilled about representations of the national colors used as guard equipment choices. For me it's the cheapness of the concept that offends. The design and images of the US colors are iconic enough that they can be suggested rather broadly, if necessary, without having to go down the "oh, but it's not a real flag...see, the stripes are wavy" route.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

I'm sorry, but your civics lesson is wrong. Such a constitutional amendment was proposed (in the '90s) because the Supreme Court ruled in 1989 and 1990 that flag burning was protected as free speech. (Two of the justices voting in the majority, Scalia and Kennedy, are still on the bench.)

However, that this speech is legal (as it should be) does not mean that it is appropriate in drum corps.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

Read again. Any such displays whose intent is to foment is deemed not protected. US v Debbs.

I'm sorry, but your civics lesson is wrong. Such a constitutional amendment was proposed (in the '90s) because the Supreme Court ruled in 1989 and 1990 that flag burning was protected as free speech. (Two of the justices voting in the majority, Scalia and Kennedy, are still on the bench.)

However, that this speech is legal (as it should be) does not mean that it is appropriate in drum corps.

Read again. Any such displays whose intent is to foment is deemed not protected. US v Debbs.

Do you mean Debs (not "Debbs") v. United States from 1919, in which the Supreme Court, as in Schenck v. United States earlier that year, ruled that certain speech in wartime was not protected, and that the convictions of Debs (and Schenck) under the Espionage Act of 1917 were constitutional as per Oliver Wendell Holmes's (in the Schenck ruling) famous "clear and present danger" test? First, the Espionage Act of 1917 has long since been repealed. Second, Schenck was subsequently weakened in Brandenburg v. Ohio in 1969 to a requirement that speech, even speech advocating violence, is unprotected only if it call for and is likely to incite "imminent lawless action". And of course there were the two more recent cases I mentioned above specifically about flag burning, in which the Supreme Court ruled that it is protected free speech.

Not that the Troopers are doing anything of the sort!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

Beautiful show tonight in Denver! GO TROOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Favorite show tonight. :smile:/>/>

I really enjoyed Troop's show tonight...I especially enjoyed the musical selections....the new uni's look amazing on the field as well...Best of luck with the rest of the season.

Hope to see you guys back in the top 12 very soon. :smile:

• Like 1

dancin.gif 74.9 and a 14.9 in percussion? you just watch! honkey please! BDB gone be puttin some serious hurt on yea!!!! mmmm hmmmm

? You do realize that Open Class scores are not comparable to World class right?

Back to the Troopers. They were only .2 behind Blue Knights in percussion and only .1 back in Music Analysis tonight. You could tell, they sounded fantastic! Sunburst was phenomenal.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1