Troopers 2013

IMG_7521_zpsf18c7456.jpg

Respect the beard...

]

Rifle hand positions are all over the place - Just an example of how guard work today is different from BITD...

So are the angles of the rifle stocks, especially the rifle butts. Peggy Twiggs would never go for this, nor do I suspect does Shirley Dorritee.

So are the angles of the rifle stocks, especially the rifle butts. Peggy Twiggs would never go for this, nor do I suspect does Shirley Dorritee.

Yup - that too. And flag angles in some of the previous photos as well. We'll see how it cleans up over the next month.

W/R/T the American Flag - if the American Flag is higher than the other flags I believe it may be allowed to be in the center; that is why BITD some corps used 9-foot poles for the American Flag. The pole with the American Flag is also supposed to have a finial. But agree - putting the American Flag on the ground not allowed under any circumstances.

Here is link to a summary of the laws concerning display of the American Flag - http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf .

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

I figured this was a ripple move. If it's unison then yeah it's a mess. But all the corps this early in the season have issues with unison guard movement.

Here is link to a summary of the laws concerning display of the American Flag - http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf .

It's worth mentioning (as the PDF you linked does) that the "laws" such as they are apply only to the federal government. Individuals and corporations are free to treat the flag however they wish (as the many tattered and faded flags flying 24-hours a day, unlit at night, outside places of business attest, not to mention the use of the flag pattern on any number of clothing and decorative items).

Not that I want to see the Troopers disrespect the flag in any way, but to be clear it's not a legal issue, just a respect/manners/patriotism issue.

Yup - that too. And flag angles in some of the previous photos as well. We'll see how it cleans up over the next month.

W/R/T the American Flag - if the American Flag is higher than the other flags I believe it may be allowed to be in the center; that is why BITD some corps used 9-foot poles for the American Flag. The pole with the American Flag is also supposed to have a finial. But agree - putting the American Flag on the ground not allowed under any circumstances.

That appears to be the dilemma. The "Flag Code" applies to the US Flag and this is not, it's appearance and design leads one to think it is, but it is not.

It's worth mentioning (as the PDF you linked does) that the "laws" such as they are apply only to the federal government. Individuals and corporations are free to treat the flag however they wish (as the many tattered and faded flags flying 24-hours a day, unlit at night, outside places of business attest, not to mention the use of the flag pattern on any number of clothing and decorative items).

Not that I want to see the Troopers disrespect the flag in any way, but to be clear it's not a legal issue, just a respect/manners/patriotism issue.

So, does DCI still have any rules re: American flag? I realize having one is not required, but if you did have one, still have rules? Anyone know?

Actually, it is the law, 4 U.S.C. § 1 - 10; see http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/04c1.txt . Criminal penalties were invalidated by several court decisions (Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397(1989; United States v. Eichman, 496 U.S. 310 (1990)).

Edited by IllianaLancerContra