Oregon Crusaders to World Class

Curious about OC. Oregon is a state where competitive HS marching band is not emphasized -- or so I'm told by several HS band directors in Oregon. In much of Oregon, marching band is an afterthought at best, while symphonic and jazz bands get the attention. In Oregon, HS wind ensembles compete for a state championship. A HS in Bend, for example, touts that it is the "state champion" band for its size classification. They won that championship on the stage, not the field.

Maybe Oregon HS competitive marching band is more widespread than I know. Yet it's curious that a borderline world-class drum corps would take root in such a place. What's in the water in Oregon?

I find it difficult to respond to your post given the ridiculousness (in a good way) of your avatar.

Here are some of the larger bands in the pacific northwest, all within driving distance of OC. I've included all bands over 100 members. They have a fairly competitive circuit up there (NWAPA) and some of the bands have also competed in BOA. Evergreen and Westview are great bands, and are quite literally in OC's backyard. Century is probably the best band in the northwest, and they're 30 minutes from Portland. All of the bands below (with the exception of Central Valley and Mead which are in Spokane) are a maximum of about 4 hours driving distance to Portland.

Cascade High School - Leavenworth, WA (115 members)

Central Valley High School - Spokane, WA (151 members)

Century High School - Hillsboro, OR (146 members)

Evergreen High School - Vancouver, WA (165 members)

Grants Pass High School - Grants Pass, OR (145 members)

Kamiak High School - Mukilteo, WA (150 members)

Mead High School - Mead, WA (135+ members)

Oregon City High School - Oregon City, OR (111 members)

Roseburg High School - Roseburg, OR (117 members)

Skyview High School - Vancouver, WA (81 members)

Southridge High School - Beaverton, OR (96 members)

Westview High School - Portland, OR (108 members)

Sunset High School - Beaverton, OR (82 members)

West Salem High School - Salem, OR (110 members)

I suppose the same question could have been made in the recent past about the Spartans and East Coast Jazz, and specifically marching band in the Northeast. Competitive marching bands in New Hampshire are virtually non-existent (only a few I can think of, none are very competitive) and Massachusetts, even with a good number of bands, has been suffering in quality and participation. The largest marching band in the state is I believe about 115, with maybe only two others above 100. Somehow both of those corps seemed to thrive competitively AGAINST each other in the recent past.

Edited by Musicman1084
  • Like 1

is the G7 really pushing to kill open class? jeebus

Unfortunately I guess so. This is coming from an open class director in the HOF fame so I guess they are still trying to make it all one division. :(

I find it difficult to respond to your post given the ridiculousness (in a good way) of your avatar.

Here are some of the larger bands in the pacific northwest, all within driving distance of OC. I've included all bands over 100 members. They have a fairly competitive circuit up there (NWAPA) and some of the bands have also competed in BOA. Evergreen and Westview are great bands, and are quite literally in OC's backyard. Century is probably the best band in the northwest, and they're 30 minutes from Portland. All of the bands below (with the exception of Central Valley and Mead which are in Spokane) are a maximum of about 4 hours driving distance to Portland.

Cascade High School - Leavenworth, WA (115 members)

Central Valley High School - Spokane, WA (151 members)

Century High School - Hillsboro, OR (146 members)

Evergreen High School - Vancouver, WA (165 members)

Grants Pass High School - Grants Pass, OR (145 members)

Kamiak High School - Mukilteo, WA (150 members)

Mead High School - Mead, WA (135+ members)

Oregon City High School - Oregon City, OR (111 members)

Roseburg High School - Roseburg, OR (117 members)

Skyview High School - Vancouver, WA (81 members)

Southridge High School - Beaverton, OR (96 members)

Westview High School - Portland, OR (108 members)

Sunset High School - Beaverton, OR (82 members)

West Salem High School - Salem, OR (110 members)

I suppose the same question could have been made in the recent past about the Spartans and East Coast Jazz, and specifically marching band in the Northeast. Competitive marching bands in New Hampshire are virtually non-existent (only a few I can think of, none are very competitive) and Massachusetts, even with a good number of bands, has been suffering in quality and participation. The largest marching band in the state is I believe about 115, with maybe only two others above 100. Somehow both of those corps seemed to thrive competitively AGAINST each other in the recent past.

Dang. Now that's what I call a thorough answer. Thanks.

Curious about OC. Oregon is a state where competitive HS marching band is not emphasized -- or so I'm told by several HS band directors in Oregon. In much of Oregon, marching band is an afterthought at best, while symphonic and jazz bands get the attention. In Oregon, HS wind ensembles compete for a state championship. A HS in Bend, for example, touts that it is the "state champion" band for its size classification. They won that championship on the stage, not the field.

Maybe Oregon HS competitive marching band is more widespread than I know. Yet it's curious that a borderline world-class drum corps would take root in such a place. What's in the water in Oregon?

Do not know if you saw Oregon on the field. They very much have their own identity. Most of OC are from Oregon, but they will be drawing from further away now. The HS band situation is irrevelent.....

I think it would be a mistake to eliminate Open Class, if that is, in fact what is going to happen, though right now it's still in the rumor stage. However, where there are fewer Open Class corps, a good number of the corps in this category cannot afford to travel, and attendance is poor at Open Class shows, including their prelims and finals (I thought I heard there were fewer than 1,000 in attendance at the finals show), this could be a possibility. This may not be an example of the G7 trying to rule the world as it is proof not enough people are supporting drum corps.

Now, regarding Oregon Crusaders. Two years of placing among World Class corps should be an indication World Class is a better fit than Open Class. World Class seems to be working for former Open Class corps such as Pacific Crest, the Academy, an Jersey Surf and it should work for Oregon Crusaders as well. Of course this also depends on how many age outs there were and how many members are returning. If next year is a rebuilding year, perhaps they should stay in open Class but I think they're ready to compete with the "big boys."

• Like 1

is the G7 really pushing to kill open class? jeebus

no. actually if what I heard is true, it's not G7 corps pushing for it, and it can be better for all corps

• Like 1

Oregon Crusaders have always been a great corps. The last 2 years they have really stepped up their game. I definitely feel they are readfy to compete at the World Class level. I think financially it would make sense, as the World Class corps receive more in appearance fees at shows. I guess one of the biggest questions, is are they possibly ready to expand their tour to include Minneapolis, Atlanta, San Antonio, etc? I know while it isn't necessarily required that they attend these shows, I am under the impression it is strongly recommended/suggested.

I know corps like Academy, Pacific Crest, Mandarins, and Jersey Surf have taken limited tours, and done fine. But in some years, they have done it with a lot of criticisms. I don't think people are looking at the whole picture. I think these corps are doing amazing things, and if doing a limited tour helps them survive to perform another year, then it is fantastic that they are World Class and performing a limited tour.

I will say, if they do go World Class, they will be facing new criticisms, however undeserved they might be. What was a stellar year for them this year, placing 19th(and probably should have been 18th), as an Open Class corps, may not be considered such a great achievement next year. And if they should slip below 21st place(not because their quality slips, but because other corps like Mandarins, BDB, and SCVC are always great corps) then people will be on the boards saying maybe they should go back to Open Class.

Regardless of whether they go WC or stay OC, I think Oregon Crusaders are an awesome corps, and I can't wait to see what they put on the field in years to come. Best of luck to Oregon Crusaders.

• Like 1

I'd like to address the issue of marching band programs in Oregon. I live in Tigard OR, a suburb of Portland, am mom to a former high school marcher turned corps marcher and I also am a music educator (at the elementary level). High school marching band is emphasized in Oregon IF you're in the right school district and IF they have a superintendent and school board who care about performing arts. These components vary widely district to district. For example, Portland public schools have no presence in marching band competitions while a neighboring suburban district, Beaverton, fields strong award-winning emsembles every year. It is very patchwork and even districts with strong programs can suddenly experience the bottom dropping out with funding and the programs get axed. This happened to a school in another nearby district - Centennial HS in the Reynolds district. Centennial had a very strong marching program and today is not even in the game.

I am an employee of the above mentioned Beaverton district and even this district, a long time flagship district when it comes to strong music programs, lost 18 full time music teaching positions this year. Full time band directors are now also teaching choir or dividing time between subjects or schools. Hopefully the programs can bounce back. That remains to be seen.

I post this only to say that it isn't quite accurate to say 'HS marching band is not emphasized'. It is just not in every district or every school. Sometimes even schools within districts vary on marching band participation. But passion for the program where it does exist runs high! And as might be expected, the top notch programs in the state have ties with the Oregon Crusaders. So the pick of talent is very ripe. By chance my son ended up at a high school that had a strong marching band tradition (Tigard High School). Had we stayed in the Portland Public school district, I doubt he ever would have joined, or even known about Oregon Crusaders.

Still a lot of kids out there who don't get exposed... and that IS sad.

it isn't quite accurate to say 'HS marching band is not emphasized'. It is just not in every district or every school.

A useful clarification. Thank you. I suppose much the same could be said of many states. For whatever reason, it seemed more obvious in Oregon during my admittedly narrow investigation of HS music programs recently.

And as might be expected, the top notch programs in the state have ties with the Oregon Crusaders. So the pick of talent is very ripe. By chance my son ended up at a high school that had a strong marching band tradition (Tigard High School). Had we stayed in the Portland Public school district, I doubt he ever would have joined, or even known about Oregon Crusaders.

. . . which is the impetus for my question. I start from the assumption, possibly wrong, that a successful drum corps is unlikely to take root in an anemic HS music ecosystem. HS is where most future DC members catch the fever -- through first-hand exposure to nearby corps and shows, and from evangelizing HS music teachers. Though one person in this thread claimed the HS MB landscape to be "irrelevant" to the health of OC, I think that's a bit too facile. It seems more than passingly relevant.

no. actually if what I heard is true, it's not G7 corps pushing for it, and it can be better for all corps

and for all fans. Instead of segregating great corps into smaller divisions (who are clearly able to hold their own against WC corps), and confining them to smaller stadiums and smaller audiences, why not combine them? All of the corps could get paid for performing shows, there will be more corps at DCI shows, and corps w/out the financial means can obviously just tour regionally until Finals week anyway.

As the amount of corps dissipate, and the talent level and sizes between Open and World class blur, why keep separate corps?