Name Drum Corps that wore unique uniforms depicting real life

baja

After reading the General Putnam's Men thread and seeing the last photo I began thinking about what other corps wore uniforms which depicted real life. Most corps today wear the typical band or cadet style uniform. Remember when corps uniforms were a little more creative or unusual?

Here's a few.

TroopersIMG_0007-4.jpg

Dutch Boy Cadets - in the late 60's or early 70's when they wore lederhoshenDutchBoy73Natsenhanced.jpg

General Putnam's MenGeneralPutnamsMenfrom1979USOpenprogram.jpg

And if you have a photo too, that would help.

Edited by baja

I have an obscure uni almost no one will know.

West Virginia University's nick name is the Mountaineers, to which the mascot is a human (not cartoon outfit with a big head) who wears a coonskin hat and leather pants and jacket.

wv-mountaineers-mascot.jpg

For a very brief time in 1991 Hunington, WV had a small corps I think were called the Mountain Magic who did an exhibition at Drums Across the Tri State and they wore genuine leather pants and jacket with coonskin cap. It looked like the hottest, most uncomfortable uniform you could possibly imagine for a summer uni. I saw on Corpsreps.com they did score a 68.6, I have no idea where that score came from.

I don't think they lasted more than season, maybe two, but they get my vote for most accurate, but most unusual uniform ever.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

After reading the General Putnam's Men thread and seeing the last photo I began thinking about what other corps wore uniforms which depicted real life. Most corps today wear the typical band or cadet style uniform. Remember when corps uniforms were a little more creative or unusual?

Dutch Boy Cadets wore those uniforms well into the 80's while functioning as the feeder corp for the open class unit.

No doubt there have been colorful uniforms over the years. Bon-Bons, 27th, Spectacle City Mariners, Kingston Indians and the Haddonfield Royaleers (in those kick-*ss Mountie uniforms - go on girls!) all come to mind. But to be fair, those groups were the exception rather than the rule. Then as now, most uniforms were pretty stock. In the 50s/60s and well into the 70s, a satin blouse or a cadet jacket were pretty much the order of the day.

Peace,

Fred O.

27th Lancers with their British Isle uniforms would be in this category and Kilties would belong as well. Schaumburg Guardsmen has a slightly more military uniform in the late 70's. Velvet Knights had a laid back uniform that fit their style.

I thought I remembered the Simplex Minutemen of Gardiner, MA wearing colonial attire at least in 1976 in honor of the bicentennial, but I could not find any photos online to support this except a photo from a parade. The Arbellas from Salem, MA were named in honor of the ship that carried the first Puritans to Massachusetts Bay (The Pilgrims may have crossed on the Mayflower but they were Separatists, not Puritans) and they wore sailor outfits as did the IC Reveries if I am not mistaken. I believe I only saw the Marauders once and I cannot remember what they wore for uniforms but I thought I remembered photos of them in DCW or DCN dressed as pirates.

The California Dons:

l.jpg

l.gif

l.jpg

I'll now wait for the pics of the corps that went the way of the Hostess cupcake for one year. :cool:

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 1

Hamms/Schmidts Indians - St Paul, MN

pic thanks to Bruce Lindsey from another DCP page..

note from Bruce: click image and it clears up... note from me: it works.

HammsIndians0001.jpg

Edited by JimF-LowBari

For a very brief time in 1991 Hunington, WV had a small corps I think were called the Mountain Magic who did an exhibition at Drums Across the Tri State and they wore genuine leather pants and jacket with coonskin cap. It looked like the hottest, most uncomfortable uniform you could possibly imagine for a summer uni. I saw on Corpsreps.com they did score a 68.6, I have no idea where that score came from.

I don't think they lasted more than season, maybe two, but they get my vote for most accurate, but most unusual uniform ever.

LMAO, having relatives in Huntington I can only imagine the looks from the locals. Could have worse and they could have taken their named from the towns namesake Collis Huntington who was a 1870s or so railroad tycoon.... how about bib overalls, railrod caps and carrying little oil pumps. :tongue:

Or worse yet... take a clue from the "seven mountains" and have unis that make them look like a bunch of Hillbillies.... IIRC, Hatfield and McCoy area of WY is about an hour or two away. At least Hatfield/McCoy was WV/KY border and Huntington is WV/KY/OH border.

Edited by JimF-LowBari