If Crown wants to win.,,,,,,,

ohbaby

They just made a big drum change last season. IMO, they should give some time to see if the current staff can get them where they want to be.

OTOH, you can make a pretty good argument that visual design has been a longstanding problem. I'd think it's at least worth some conversations with Sully - he takes risks, and sometimes they fail pretty spectacularly. But he definitely can create the kinds of vehicles that win DCI.

He's a little out there sometimes... lol.

If they stick with Leon May they can still do it. But he can't write drill that you can't clean anymore. The whiplash sections had some impossible stuff.

I can't imagine what Leon May was thinking when he came up with Crown's drill this past season.

Listen to Dreams (Nightmare) and try to conjure up drill for it. I can't do it. It's too frantic, it's too all over the place, it's too chaotic. I look at Crown's drill and say "That's it!" The drill matches what is being played.

I also can't conjure up how the hell the corps produced the quality sound they did marching that program.

I really have no idea how Crown was able to pull off that program.

A corps doesn't have to win to push the envelope and suffice to say, Crown pushed the envelope this past season.

• Like 5

Honestly - I didn't think Crown's drumline was bad. They were 6th behind some fantastic lines. No shame in that.

Crown's show was great. But, if you are talking about winning a championship, I think the bar is pretty high for a first time champ. For all first time winners in DCI since 1983, the lowest placing caption was Cadets percussion in fifth in 1983. Otherwise all first-time champs since then have placed no lower than third in any caption.

I have thought that Crown relies too heavily on its horn line ...(snip!)

THERE'S NO SUCH THING!!!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t:

Oops, sorry Boo. :doh:

There's no such thing.

• Like 1

There's no such thing.

Hey, you're allowed, as you don't make a habit of it.

Now stop playing that hip-hop music so loud!

I don't really agree with this. If you are talking about visual that is. While I agree Crown might have had cleaner technique at some points of their show, it was not always the most consistent. IN fact, the really hard sections, some members completely broke down. Lower body and upper body technique was no existent. They were sacrificing technique to make attempt to make the form.

Overall I believe that Cadets 2011 had cleaner drill and a more consistent marching technique throughout their program.

Edited to add that I also wish Sully stayed at BK.

Agreed, especially from an ensemble standpoint. I still highly disagree with them taking Visual Performance, though.

Honestly - I didn't think Crown's drumline was bad. They were 6th behind some fantastic lines. No shame in that.

Agree.

All the lines, BC Cadets SCV Cav were super-achievers - in that their lines placed higher drum-wise than the corps did corps-wise.

That's makes it tough to gain ground.

Crown's brass gets rave reviews, but the judges didn't award a large spread. Do you all agree? Or, do you think Crown way outplayed BD?

I'm not quite clear on some of the sheet criteria...can someone help me with the captions Visual 'Prof', and 'Ana' ? I see Crown won prof but not ana.

What kind of things does each of those areas evaluate? I would assume if they won proficiency, they would be cleaner.

The largest hurdle seems to be the spread from the visual 20's. I like BD and all, but maximum scores seem overly dramatic. Was there really that much difference?

Don't have a visual background so I don't know, just asking questions.

There's no such thing.

My guess and my hope is that Crown will have as strong a horn line in the years to come. I just hope that their percussion, guard, and overall visual show will be just as formidable and competitive, at least as far as the judges are concerned.Fans are already quite happy.

Edited by Tim K

While its interesting to debate clean vs. entertaining, etc... Last time I checked Crown was pretty darn competitive and had the most legit shot, and there's no reason to think anything will change next year. Virtually any corps director in that role wouldn't be asking what they should change (although they might do so to be PC), what they're really asking themselves is what they have to do to keep the current staff from moving on. If it aint broke don't fix it.

As for Sylvester moving to Crown, why hasn't BK done better in the visual department and what makes one think he would be any better at Crown? That's not meant to be disrespectful, its just an honest question.