Best Ballad 2012

azul

How about a corps that doesn't play a ballad in their show? Or, how about a spicey tune disguised as a ballad? I find that often times a ballad slows the momentum of the show down. I'm actually a little torn on this one. I love the sound of a beautiful ballad - especially when a corps gets a little extra effect with echo from a great horn sound. But, overall, I'd like to see a little evolution of show concept and design on this one.

• Like 1

So 2012 saw some really awesome shows and really awesome shows come with awesome ballads as well! Who in your own personal opinions had the best ballad of 2012? No bashing please.

Personal favorite and thought was the best from the start: Pacific Crest's version of "Yellow" by Cold Play. The arranging was so lush, thick, beautiful and filled with emotion! Loved it!

Shout outs to Bluecoats using Bon Iver's "Flume" and Colts closing with "All By Myself."

My choices,

Cadets

Pacific Crest

Colts

Jersey Surf

Is it a coincidence that these are very well known pieces? I say nope...good music is good music.

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 2

Wait. Three posts and no one heard what I heard? Cadets. Do You Hear What I Hear?

Best tune of the year. And don't tell me they should have rushed the sideline to blow straight at us. They tried something different and created a sublime moment.

HH

Consistently created the most intense 'hush' in the stadium.....

• Like 2

Cadets- It was not only beautiful, but the climax was so tastefully done. A typical ballad would have the corps blasting some huge chord at the audience at the climax (that's fine too, but it can get old), but the Cadet's arrangement was mostly very quiet It reminded me of how Vanguard's 2009 show was done. They save the big climax for the very end, and put less impact in the ballad.

In general, I liked all the ballads (it's usually the point in the show where the corps sounds the most musical), but "Do You Hear What I Hear?" was my favorite.

Edited by TeamQuavers
  • Like 1

My vote for best ballad of 2012 would go to the Colts. It was beautifully arranged and performed..... and it was just the right amount of old school dramatics for us dinos, but I think it also wowed the more modernist drum corps fans.

• Like 1

How about a corps that doesn't play a ballad in their show? Or, how about a spicey tune disguised as a ballad? I find that often times a ballad slows the momentum of the show down. I'm actually a little torn on this one. I love the sound of a beautiful ballad - especially when a corps gets a little extra effect with echo from a great horn sound. But, overall, I'd like to see a little evolution of show concept and design on this one.

Check out BD 1999. Adios Noino, by Piazzola. Beautiful piece, but had a pretty intense latin groove section in the middle.