Classic Drum Corps Moments!

Alot of people just come to DCP to read the posts, so lets give the masses some moments to read... good or bad... but try to keep them classic!

Give a little bit of your history and your moment... here goes nothin...

I marched in The Madison Scouts Org. for 8yrs in the 80s. I have seen almost every DCI Corps live from 81 to today and almost all open class Corps also(Cadet, A-60, Div2&3, ect,ect) I enjoy the activity.

My moment... we were at a show in 88 that was rained out(Dolly Parton school) SCV and the Madison Scouts were headlining the show, both hornlines were gonna give the crowd something for coming to the show so inside we lined up on the second floor facing each other with the crowd below us... SCV played there closer to us and we played our closer for them. A pure Classic Drum Corps Moment... one I will never forget.

Whats yours?

Edited by thirdcoast
  • Like 4

My drum corps experience is that of "a wannabee" and consummate fan. My sisters marched with a drill team, the Rangerettes of Franklin, MA and each year there was a competition known as "The Round Up." One year it would feature Eastern Mass Circuit shows and the next it would be a Mayflower Circuit show. I was mesmerized by drum corps but was too young to know what I was watching or which corps I saw compete. A few years later I joined a CYO band, St. Joseph's in Medway, MA and I believe it was 1975 though it could have been 76, we competed in a show where Boston Crusaders competed. 27th Lancers no longer competed in the circuits but they performed an exhibition. I believe 27th had close ties to St. Anthony in Revere (a band) and St. Anthony's Imperials of Everett (a drill team) so my guess is that one of these two units hosted. From that time on I was hooked. Drum Corps News and Drum Corps World let me know what happened nationally, the DCI Yearbook practically became my Bible. Also living in the Boston area, I was able to see CYO Nationals and World Open on an annual basis. I did almost march with a corps, but transportation was an issue. Talent could have been an issue too, but that's another story.

Some of my favorite moments:

1994 DCI Finals, Foxboro, MA. It was a good year, and Boston fans were thrilled that DCI was in the area. We thought BAC would make finals for the first time, especially after besting Colts at quarterfinals, but that was not to be. But as anyone who was at Foxboro that night knows, no competing corps stole the show that evening, it was 27th Lancers and their show "Once More in 94." I am a rather staid person, but I went crazy as soon as the first notes were played. I totally embarrassed my non-drum corps friends who attended with me, but I wasn't alone. The whole stadium erupted with excitement and enthusiasm.

1999: Manning Bowl, Lynn, MA. Madison did "Jesus Christ, Superstar" that year. No show blew me away more than that show. Talk about wall of sound. At the time I lived within walking distance to the stadium. No lie, people who lived over a mile from the stadium could hear that show. "Lynners" used to love the World Open, so no one minded that it was probably a violation of local ordinances.

2012: to show that drum corps is still live an well, I am going to add what is bound to become a classic moment. At the Saturday show of DCI East, Bridgemen Alumni performed. They first lined up to watch their younger "soulmates" Jersey Surf perform and watching Bridghemen watch Surf was like stepping back at time. Bridgemen stood in "parade rest" the entire show. Jersey Surf returned the favor during Bridgemen's show then as they show was over, they ran on the field with vigor and excitement and joined Bridgemen in "Bridge over Troubled Water."

Well those are my "moments" and needless to say, they're just the tip of the iceberg and if you're reading this post and made any of these moments happen, thanks.

• Like 5

I think it was BD's home show in 1999.

Blue Devils were partway through the show and suddenly the power went out, plunging the stadium into almost complete darkness. There was a beat where the sound dropped off a bit as the corps was as surprised as anyone, but then they continued full on and played the rest of the show in the DARK.

In what other activity would that happen?

• Like 4

Blue Devils were partway through the show and suddenly the power went out, plunging the stadium into almost complete darkness. There was a beat where the sound dropped off a bit as the corps was as surprised as anyone, but then they continued full on and played the rest of the show in the DARK.

For those who have never seen it...

The lights go out around the 6:28 mark.

For those who have never seen it...

The lights go out around the 6:28 mark.

That is a great moment. I wish time machines were a reality, because I'd love to have been there.

• Like 1

That is a great moment. I wish time machines were a reality, because I'd love to have been there.

Careful, Michael. You may find your younger self waiting there to "close your loop".

• Like 2

1984 a former horn player and current equipment truck driver was marrying a current guard member. a number of the wedding party were actually bluecoats guard members. This was early June and without the couple knowing the corps showed up at the church and set up outside. After the ceremony the couple came out onto a balcony at the front of the church and the corps played our opener and closer for them.

Now I'm not sure the 2 selections were the most appropriate since we opened with Bill Chase's 'Run Back to Mama' and closed with 'For your Eyes Only'

• Like 1

For you old-timers, I remember in Philly (either 76 or 77) when, at the end of their show, the entire Bridgemen corps "passed out" on the field. We were all on our feet already and when they dropped, there was a momentary silence until we all realized what happened and the crowd went nutso! For newbies, that's why Surf hit the turf at the end of their quarter finals run! Classic ending to a classic show!

Edited by vogie
  • Like 2

That happened with the Bluecoats in Jersey this past summer. During the last run of the night, the lights went out at the last minute of the show. Everyone there, members, staff and fans hyped it.