A GREAT show from OSU

Lots of good comments here, except UPDrumline, of course, because, as a Purdue fan...well I'll be nice, because Perc2100 hit the nail on the head. Remember the venue, filled with rich Michael Boo's, who marched in that band 60 years ago. I guarantee you that, even WITH the sound effects, they had no idea what was happening. "Cheese" is the only tradition that is really durable (and, No, Mike, not that kind of cheese.:tongue: )

Some interesting comparitive in UPDrumline's post: In drum corps we're supposed to accept and relish the sound effects as being avante-guard and progressive. But in the college circuit those same effects are lampooned? I went to a band contest on Saturday where only 1 our of 10 bands didn't use electronics. So the unplugged college band is better than the plugged-in high schools and corps that surround them?

What bothers me is when the electronics replace an analog sound that could be produced on the field, like the amps matching the contras. Video games are unfamiliar to most of the population. Ohio State adding those unique sound-effects made it entertaining for them, at least. I heard more oohs and aahs from around the video source than I remember ever hearing at an OSU halftime. The news even hit the London DailyMail online. I'd say they "sold" the show pretty well.

And I'm no expert, but I did play snare in TBDBITL.

/lame attempt to shoot down a TBDBITL-basher who's prominent influence of a marching band includes spinning a six-foot bass drum in the middle of the field.

• Like 2

Great Show!!

The Halo piece was the best one of this show, but what I want to see is something done with newer, better gaming music...such as Elder Scrolls (pick a version), Battlefield (pick a version), Medal of Honor (pick a version), etc. Heck, even old stuff like Final Fantasy would be better than Tetris, for god's sake.

Again, with so many Mike Boo's in the stands (sorry Mike, not picking on you - I had no idea what the Halo stuff was) you want to, instead, introduce them to the music rep of the video games? I find it hard to believe that THAT show would have gotten near the press that this one did. Most people wouldn't know a video game rep from Mozart and half of them would be asleep, yakking, or getting a hotdog.

• Like 1

Stanford's band did it better. And their football team can actually go to a bowl game this year.

• Like 4

This is a terrific show... but my favorite OSU band moment came a few years ago, when the great Jack Nicklaus dotted the "I" in Script Ohio. :thumbup:

I was really enjoying this show until I ran out of quarters.

:thumbup: One of the best chuckles I've had in awhile.

• Like 1

what....

SpaceInvaders.jpg

you really need to get out more (or is it stay in more?) :tongue:

omg forgot about space invaders but recognized Pokemon balls, Peekachoo yeah, Tetris (my fave), Mario Brothers ha, Halo, Zelda was oh wow and Pac Man with totally cool ending. I remember going to an eatery with Pac Man tables. After you eat, you play lol. I got help identifying Donkey Kong and sent the video link on ‘cause I like it. Awesome! :bigsmile: