Sex offenders being involved with drum corps

given the posts removed elsewhere, but given all that is going on in the real world with this issue as well as seeing how DCA is cracking down on things, I feel it's a relevant topic.

I'm told a DCA corps ( and no, I won't name names) had a convicted sex offender in their ranks. In this day and age, that's stupid not only for the corps to allow, but for DCA ( and DCI) to allow.With DCA getting younger in membership, and needing to get younger in marketing, this MUST be an issue that's addressed. I can tell you, in my region, I know fo several people over the last few years busted for messingwith kids that had ties to DCA corps. that's suicide.

Do corps need to do background checks on not just staff ( and if they aren't already they're idiots), but members, board, volunteers etc? same for DCA/DCI with judges?

Maybe I'm too sensitive to it. After all, I can't turn on the news without hearing the name Sandusky. Far too often I log onto Facebook and see posts of "don't break rule #1" or "DFTK".

someone maybe an hour east of me was justbusted for relations they had with a minor.....and it startedwith a drum corps. Then the scuttle flying around from last summer mentioned earlier ( and I did look that persons name up, and yes, they were listed).

what is DCA and it'scorps doing about this?

You want to kill a circuit? Rock star parties at a hotel pale to having to deal with this.

• Like 4

given the posts removed elsewhere, but given all that is going on in the real world with this issue as well as seeing how DCA is cracking down on things, I feel it's a relevant topic.

I'm told a DCA corps ( and no, I won't name names) had a convicted sex offender in their ranks. In this day and age, that's stupid not only for the corps to allow, but for DCA ( and DCI) to allow.With DCA getting younger in membership, and needing to get younger in marketing, this MUST be an issue that's addressed. I can tell you, in my region, I know fo several people over the last few years busted for messingwith kids that had ties to DCA corps. that's suicide.

Do corps need to do background checks on not just staff ( and if they aren't already they're idiots), but members, board, volunteers etc? same for DCA/DCI with judges?

Maybe I'm too sensitive to it. After all, I can't turn on the news without hearing the name Sandusky. Far too often I log onto Facebook and see posts of "don't break rule #1" or "DFTK".

someone maybe an hour east of me was justbusted for relations they had with a minor.....and it startedwith a drum corps. Then the scuttle flying around from last summer mentioned earlier ( and I did look that persons name up, and yes, they were listed).

what is DCA and it'scorps doing about this?

You want to kill a circuit? Rock star parties at a hotel pale to having to deal with this.

After working behind the scenes with a now-defunct junior corps, I now realize that DCI is one '60 Minutes' special away from getting wiped out completely (mostly for questionable administrative practices, but also for staff members crossing the line).

With all-age drum corps, I believe the stakes are even higher. I don't see any reason to not do a background check.

When I get back from my appointment I can fill in more from training I had but bottom line is:

Preditors look for places that are NOT checking.....

In this day and age, NOT checking is idiotic. My #1 question is how go are the checks between states.

Its more widespread than you think.

I know of a assistant band director in my local area that has had at least two long term affairs with NOW older girls that he started when they were in their teens. Its a case where everyone knows he has done these things,,its been reported to Law Enforcement and investigated and nothing ever became of it. He still holds his job till this day and still holds a relation ship with one of the girls he started the affair with when she was 17.

I know of another that is under indictment on multiple counts of statutory rape that is awaiting trial that has had to resign their teaching position as a band director and with the DCI corps they teach at. The disposition of that case should be coming up soon as it happened last October.

There been at least one among our ranks that has paid his dues for Telephone Solicitation of a Minor.

There have been other stories reported on DCP as well.

A friend of mine married her band director and has 2 children by him. Their relationship started in 10th grade but was kept hushed until she was 18.

She is also now employed at the same school district.

And you aren't creeped out by that??? :blink:

And you aren't creeped out by that??? :blink:

lOVE IS CRAZY THING.

My wife is 6 years older than me. She met me when I was 20. Do the math. If she met me few years earlier she would be a sexual predator. We have been married 27 years now.

My High School Sweetheart was 6 months younger than me so there was a period of time where our relationship was classified as statutory rape under the law. What were we suppose to do. Stop what we had started all because of some silly dates????

Ive got a son that is 21. I have had to warn him the last few years about the young girls at church to be careful if they are close to the 18 year mark not to get involved with them because of the legal aspects. He understands the risks.

Ive got a daughter that is 15.5. Ive had to warn her that all boys are bad and corrupt and that she is not to get within 5 feet of them till she is 33. :)

:tongue:

Don't get hung up on dates. They really don't mean that much when comparing youngish adults to oldish young adults.

Unfortunately dates are something to get hung up on these days. They make the difference between a whole heck of a lot of things. Jail and a permanent record being a couple of them.

And I'm sorry, any teacher who can't wait until a student is graduated before starting a relationship with a student is IMO very creepy (and yes, around here btw it has to be graduated, not 18, and if proven otherwise say bye bye to that career and hello jail).

The idea that some people are finding this acceptable is really very frightening to me. If that child was your son or daughter wouldn't you feel much differently? Or would you be condoning this just the same? Or is it the male-female part that isn't a problem but if it was a same-sex thing then it would be? Because people certainly got up in arms about Sandusky.....how much different is that than what we are discussing really?

Like I said my daughter can't be within 5 feet a boy till she is 33 so there's my answer to the problem. :):)

Seriously. The whole Young adult Oldish Teen thing to me is not a issue so long as there is parent involvement and everyone is in agreement that they can see each other.

Yes I have a problem with the Authority figure issues. Anyone with a position of authority should not be praying upon their students no matter what the age difference. Its wrong. If there is chemistry there it certainly can wait till the student graduates . We are only talking a couple of years.

Edited by camel lips