Sex offenders being involved with drum corps

And you aren't creeped out by that??? :blink:

Very much so, in fact I've only met her husband once and the only reason was to tell him to **** off, after which I left.

I would be greatly concerned if I was a parent in Nevada right now.

I know of a drummer that I marched with that is now a drum instructor at one of the high schools out there. He has a clean record and passed the back ground check. He is 22 years old and has plowed more teenage girls than I shake a stick at. He just hasent gotten caught.

Vegas or Northern Nevada?

Vegas or Northern Nevada?

It was not Nevada after all. It was New Mexico. My bad.

I mean really if we are going to start banning corps for bad behavior where are we going to start with the rules? Is it going to be with drinking? Smoking weed? Script abuse? Wife Swapping? Infidelity?

It's pretty darned easy to start with what is legal and what isn't, and for staff what's ethical and what isn't. It's really not hard at all.

• Like 6

Meh...Nevada, New Mexico....all those deserts look the same....heh

Crazy as it may sound..to us southern folks that's about how it sounds. :):):)

Thank you John, thank you.

When I was involved in instructing a few local corps/bands back in the early 90's, one of the instructors in a local corps, in his early to mid twenties allegedly made a sexual advance towards a VERY young girl approx. 13 or 14 years old. She reported this to her mother who was a parent volunteer with the corps, whose assistant director was a retired police officer. The gentleman was confronted and left the corps that evening, only to surface again teaching other local groups. It wasn't necessarily standard procedure at that time to report these incidences to the authorities. If they have not done so already, DCA and DCI, and every other band/guard circuit should have reporting procedures in place.

Wow. I'm all for free speech and an open forum. And I agree that this is a very real and extremely serious issue that ought to be dealt with pronto by the corps and the organizations.

But passing on these horror stories in an open forum is not going to help an activity that is already in pretty serious decline. I shudder to think what the family of a potential recruit is going to get from this.

And, I don't question the validity of any of these statements, either; or the idea that it is a real problem. But, perhaps a better way is for a group to get organized and approach the sanctioning org's and the individual corps with ideas to deal with this.