Sex offenders being involved with drum corps

The truth?

The "truth" they will get from this is an impression formed by anecdotes and partial, mostly secondhand accounts. I don't see what good this does for the activity other than to try and publicly shame the corps and org's into doing something; a method that tars the whole activity at the same time.

I'm not trying to stick my head in the sand on the issue. Just saying that there is likely a far more healthy and productive avenue to take than this.

Another example of the self-inflicted wounds that continue to kill this activity.

The "truth" they will get from this is an impression formed by anecdotes and partial, mostly secondhand accounts. I don't see what good this does for the activity other than to try and publicly shame the corps and org's into doing something; a method that tars the whole activity at the same time.

I'm not trying to stick my head in the sand on the issue. Just saying that there is likely a far more healthy and productive avenue to take than this.

Another example of the self-inflicted wounds that continue to kill this activity.

Here's pieces of the OP

"Do corps need to do background checks on not just staff ( and if they aren't already they're idiots), but members, board, volunteers etc? same for DCA/DCI with judges?"

"what is DCA and it'scorps doing about this?"

Agree if it would be more productive if answers had come out but not so far. But at least they are being asked and hoping someone can give any information.

PS - Last I heard PA State Police and National Sexual Offenders check was $20 ($10 a piece) easy to fill out (did mine) and took a few weeks to get the results. Any updates to this procedure (Bigw?, Jeff?).

Here's pieces of the OP

"Do corps need to do background checks on not just staff ( and if they aren't already they're idiots), but members, board, volunteers etc? same for DCA/DCI with judges?"

"what is DCA and it'scorps doing about this?"

Agree if it would be more productive if answers had come out but not so far. But at least they are being asked and hoping someone can give any information.

PS - Last I heard PA State Police and National Sexual Offenders check was $20 ($10 a piece) easy to fill out (did mine) and took a few weeks to get the results. Any updates to this procedure (Bigw?, Jeff?).

The OP questions are legitimate. But being posed on here... is just asking for exactly what you got. These questions would more appropriately be asked of management of the corps and DCA, DCI, et al... not the DCP crowd who is just chiming in with what you see here.

Let me put it this way. The situation that is the basis of this thread is very very very familiar to me as I was there at the start of it in 1993 and 1994 and it really needs to be taken up by the powers that be. If DCA is serious about wanting to clean up the culture, dealing with this situation would be a good place to start.

• Like 1

The OP questions are legitimate. But being posed on here... is just asking for exactly what you got. These questions would more appropriately be asked of management of the corps and DCA, DCI, et al... not the DCP crowd who is just chiming in with what you see here.

Understood and can't argue. But speaking for myself I don't have any contacts to DCA/DCI and do know the backgrounds of some of the DCP posters. Hoping some of those DCPers who are more in the know could give answers but still waiting.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Anyone who has been involved in the activity for any length of time is aware of incidents of improper behavior between staff and membership, some occurring at the highest levels. There are more than a few people who have served jail time for this from both the juniors and seniors.

The first question is whether this happens in a higher proportion in drum corps than it does in education in general. Based on my own anecdotal observations and the stories recounted here, probably not. Second question is what the activity is going to do about it. Given that drum corps staffs are not typically vetted in the same way a certified teacher is since they are private organizations without any certifying body, the question then becomes should they start?

regardless of how much it happens, there are people in corps who have been charged and convicted, and are listed on the various websites.....and nothing is done

If you guys want to push all of this we better go over to DCI and WGI as well. I know that it is happening there. Major corps...

I agree. However WGi doesnt get discussed much on here. I raised the issue here given DCA's approach on other issues

i looked up actual names of people that marched this past summer on the website I linked. how's that?

Understood and can't argue. But speaking for myself I don't have any contacts to DCA/DCI and do know the backgrounds of some of the DCP posters. Hoping some of those DCPers who are more in the know could give answers but still waiting.

DCA was notified of a person this summer.

Nothing happened.