Save the Glassmen

100% correct. If the current model doesn't change, the Drum Corp activity will cease to exist. Drum Corps needs to rationalize & form divisions, similar to professional sports teams...North, South, East, & West. The national touring just doesn't make sense anymore.

Actually, rationalize makes sense too!tongue.gif

But the point you are making is often said. But the counterargument has been that the current model works fine for the top corps, so they will continue to operate that way. Even if DCI were to change, those corps would go their own way as needed with the G7. I don't know how true this is, but my point is it's not enough to say it needs to change, you have to show what it can change to, and how to get it there.

One approach that hasn't been said (that I've seen, but I'm new around here) is that the small regional drum corps movement should have nothing to do with DCI, and should therefor not be seen as something DCI 'needs to do' but as something we need to do. (DCP drum corps league, anyone?smile.gif). Clearly the SDCA and DCNA are attempts to do this, but DCNA appears to be a DCI thing, and also appears to have stagnated...? SDCA is very cool, but is taking an offbeat approach to what a drum corps is, so I'm not sure that's going to do what we are talking about.

The Drum Corp activity must return to local membership & financial support in order for this activity to survive.

Again, maybe we need to think of it as two activities. The top corps will survive just fine regardless of what happens to the lower corps, at least for quite a while. But the smaller DCI corps (which are still pretty big) are going to decrease in number if the trend continues. But again, that's still different from local drum corps. Different scales, different issues, different solutions. Different activities. They influence each other, but they should be approached differently.

Edited by Pete Freedman

Taking from an old cliche that "there's no such thing as bad publicity", or "any publicity is good publicity" or some other derivitive, I hope that all the discussions on DCP about the Glassmen is a good indicator of the continued fervor, interest, and passion there is for the drum corps activity. Something tells me that only good will come out of the pleas to help the Gmen. As the Gmen retool their business plan, this should serve as warning to all corps in DCI to ensure that their business practices are sound, one that not only has an eye for the upcoming season, but for the sustainablility of each corps for the future. We're all in this together!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

MATCHING GIFTS WITH YOUR EMPLOYER CAN DOUBLE YOUR SUPPORT!!!

Hello DCP,

Just contributed money to the Glassmen and doubled my contrbution by registering my donatioin with my company's matching gift program. As such, I was EASILY able to double my support to the corps!

Please check with your respective employers. You may be able to do the same thing. I'm very happy to have been able to help!

I love this activity too much just to sit back and do nothing. It may not be much, but every bit helps!

BTW - Highlighting/suggesting employer matching gifts as a way to maximize individual contributor support could be its own topic thread on DCP. Does anyone agree that this is something that should be promoted?

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

What's that? The Glassmen could use your united way donation? And your company may even have a matching policy? That's awesome!!!!

Glassmen are making headway financially from what I'm hearing (I am in zero official capacity) and everything is in place for a great 2013 camp in just a couple of weeks!

• Like 2

I'm hoping that the number of posts equals contributions.

I have noticed that if you wish to donate you can either go to the website or mail a contribution but I'm not seeing any results so far. It would be nice to see how well the campaign is going and how close the corps is to reaching the goal. Perhaps this is already the case and I'm just not finding it on the website, but it could encourage others to give.

• Like 1

An $850,000 operating budget. Wow. And I bet Glassmen's operating budget is lower than a lot of others, too. For example, the California corps, and the corps at and near the top of the top 12.

Sad. The plea for money addresses the symptoms, not the causes. It's not sustainable, even if 300k is raised for this year. Next year it will be 400k, and so on. Don't mean to be a downer but, wow, this is sad.

Agreed 100%. For some context, here are the 2010 (the most recent year for which most are available) expense numbers I have been able to find from world class corps' 990 filings, in order by 2010 placement:

01 $1,738,685 Blue Devils (*not* including Blue Devils B or C)
02 $1,105,288 The Cavaliers
03 $  766,076 Bluecoats
04 $  922,576 Carolina Crown
05 $1,203,590 The Cadets
06 $  865,509 Phantom Regiment
07 $1,065,249 Santa Clara Vanguard (*not* including SCV Cadets)
08 $  906,844 Blue Stars
09 $  774,770 Boston Crusaders
10 $  693,827 Madison Scouts
11 $  966,272 Blue Knights
12 $  753,369 Glassmen

At the other end of the spectrum, for 2010, Pioneer reported expenses of $463,301 and Jersey Surf reported $359,461.