Save the Glassmen

I can't say as to how much has been garnered vs. how much has been cut from the original $300,000 need. But I was told by a Glassmen alumnus that the current need is now down to $150,000. I make no guarantees that this figure is accurate.

GLASSMEN Drum & Bugle Corps shared a link. -- November 15

Thank you to everyone who has donated to our cause. We have reached 4% of our goal. Due to popular demand, the Glassmen have established a PayPal account to make it easier to donate. Please click the link below.

If they've really only raised 4% of their $300,000 goal, which would be $12,000, then they're not getting much of a response even from their alumni. Calculating fairly conservatively, I figure there must be at least 750 former Glassmen out there. (Assumes a corps size of 140 this year, which may be low; a slight increase in size every year, which probably underestimates the corps size for the past 20 years; and a 15% annual turnover rate, which is also probably quite low.) If that number of people alone averaged $100 each, that would at least put the Glassmen at least 25% of the way to their goal. And we know from this very thread that there are people who are not Glassmen alumni who have contributed in response to this request.

Edited to fix (another) typo.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

There is no need whatsoever for DCI to start anything small. Why? Because there already "ARE", I repeat, there already "ARE" and have been for quite a while Small Drum Corps Associations in existence such as SDCA (link) and DCNA (link). Various drum corps already have, and still have, the choice between DCI or these other small associations. It is just that not many corps, staff, or performers want to engage at that level. And asking DCI to be willing to make less money by creating small local arms of DCI when most drum corps who are already choosing to fold instead of joining SDCA or DCNA is, imo, downright absurd!

** For those giving me drive-by red negatives have you suggested SDCA or DCNA to the directors of Forte, Teal, VK, Racine Scouts, Glassmen, or are you just going to blast DCI? Have any of you supported SDCA and DCNA or again are you just blasting DCI?

most people red mark you because they love you

:tongue:/>

• Like 1

Gmen too often come across as playing safe going for the last two finalists spots. Maybe they need to remember what made a year like 98 so good....and memorable

In 98, at the first camp, we sat in the gym at G-West and Brian Hickman told us "if you're here to place higher than we did last year (which was 8th in 1997), you should probably look elsewhere, because it's not going to happen."

5th :)

• Like 1

I hope they meant 40%. 4% wouldn't do much against a $300,000 goal.

In communication from the Glassmen Alumni Association leadership, this is correct. 40%, not 4%. And I'm sure that's higher now.

• Like 2

most people red mark you because they love you

:tongue:/>/>

Dude flat out asks for red negatives in his signature - then whines when he gets them. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Dude flat out asks for red negatives in his signature - then whines when he gets them. :thumbup:/>

now, now, don't be logical

• Like 2

It's on! My daughter is excited to be at the Glassmen camp this weekend! Positive stuff coming from camp! 2013 is a GO! So glad we're going to see them back on the field in 2013! It's not too late to offer a little financial support to the corps!

DONATE NOW

PS - To DCP editors: Why not re-feature this forum on the DCP homepage? With the Gmen kids at camp this weekend, along with the corps' stated commitment to putting them on the field for 2013, let's help remind the DCP community of the great help we can provide by donating what we can. The Gmen have been a wonderful drum corps institution for so many years. Remember, the GMens' call for help is not due to financial needs for standard operating costs as much as it for helping them become whole for past issues. I commend them for being open about their needs. This is a first-class organization that simply can use our help at this time. All of us, in some small way, can help! Thanks!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

In communication from the Glassmen Alumni Association leadership, this is correct. 40%, not 4%. And I'm sure that's higher now.

From what I hear, you are right that it is higher now. I have to think that they(The GLASSMEN) are gonna come out in 2013 with a chip on there shoulder, with something to prove. They just may be a dark horse for 2013. Should be interesting.

• Like 1