Save the Glassmen

the entire drum corps community should really start supporting DCI and not just "the corps who are cool"

Or just become 'cool'. Not singling out glassmen on this but there are those that could afford to be more audience friendly. Where do you think crown got such a fan following? From doing highly accessible shows that many dcp elitists called 'too cheesy'.

Sure, drum corps is art, and its fine if you want to go certain directions with your shows... but some directions are going to pay the bills better than others.

• Like 2

Or just become 'cool'. Not singling out glassmen on this but there are those that could afford to be more audience friendly. Where do you think crown got such a fan following? From doing highly accessible shows that many dcp elitists called 'too cheesy'.

Sure, drum corps is art, and its fine if you want to go certain directions with your shows... but some directions are going to pay the bills better than others.

I agree completely and like I said none of those decisions are up to me but the only thing i worry about is this...why let the design team of a drum corps affect an unbelievable experience for the kids? It seems like these days people are very quick to just write off corps like Glassmen or Mandarins for example only because they aren't Blue Devils or Crown. I will admit that Crown provides the audience with very entertaining shows and deserve every bit of credit they earn it just seems unfair in a way. Yes, life is unfair and we are all fighting hard to earn a living these days but it sucks to think that kids down the line won't be able to get this experience because (hypothetically speaking of course) there are only 7 corps left, that's all I'm saying. sad.gif

Edited by SoSC1324

Oh, bunk and bull. HockeyDad called it right (which surprises me, considering he's from Michigan :tongue: )

Hey! All I know is, my next door neighbor flies a Michigan State flag. Now, after Michigan just beat them last weekend, I chuckle every time I go past their house.

Soon proper order will be restored to the conference: Michigan, Ohio State, then everybody else.

Maybe the market is too saturated. There's a limit to how much the fan base can support this many corps in the activity.

Or the expenses are getting so bad the fan base support $$$$ isn't close to what is needed to support a corps. Amazing that I see more and more posts that sugggest that things would be better if some corps would go away.

Or the expenses are getting so bad the fan base support $$$$ isn't close to what is needed to support a corps. Amazing that I see more and more posts that sugggest that things would be better if some corps would go away.

Then I guess they need to find other sources of income or travel less.

Then I guess they need to find other sources of income or travel less.

My point is there are better sources which corps do go after. So don't understand why number of bodies at a souvie table generates such heartburn. Have read other posts where money generated by souvies is "nice" but not that large of a percentage of income. Having worked with another group that sells t-shirts, sweatshirts and other crap I know the difference between costs and sale price isn't that great unless you have a bleep of a mark up. Then you factor in the loss on non-sold items (we give away as door prizes at meetings) and it don't look that great.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I said it before, going back to the regional tour model can save DCI.

In this particular case, if a corps has financial issues, a decision can be made to tour within their region only along with some national shows, not do a full tour. This will save in cost. Once they have their books in order, then go back to doing a regional and national tour.

you think DCI would be better without Phantom Regiment? almost happened a few years ago...

Some may say that DCI will be without Phantom Regiment and six others this time next year. Who may be better off remains to be seen and discussed at length.

• Like 1

you think DCI would be better without Phantom Regiment? almost happened a few years ago...

Considering Regiment is one of the top draws for DCI, no I don't. They also outsell the other corps' souvies by a mile.

In retrospect, if they didn't clean up their financial mess when they did, then they should have folded for a year or forever. However, that's not what happened. Starting with Seidling and now with Valenzuela, they are doing much better. The last guidestar.com posting shows that they had a profitable year in '10. I can only imagine with two even more popular shows since then that they've done as well or better. They've handled their mess and are working within their means to my knowledge.

• Like 1