Save the Glassmen

And Glassmen have used different charter companies based on price and availability, not owed deficits.

With all due respect, I 100% disagree. Money is still owed to Champion coach for several years of service. So instead of going back to them, lets try to "run away", tell them the check is in the mail and find another company. Lets ride Phantom's coat tails and try Escot for a summer.

Again, the check is in the mail. And now lets switch to yet another company for the summer of 2012. This time, after the season is over, we will pay you for the fuel, but only after the summer is over. Wait, you didnt get the check yet? We sent it out. It should be in the mail.

Again, Glassmen need to take a year off, get restructured, and then come back stronger than ever.

Just my $.02

• Like 1

ok but.......

and I have friends tied to Gmen...

outside of BD, Crown, Phantom and Cadets, who really got the most buzz this season?

Jersey Surf

where did they place?

20th.

Yet you see reports of great crowd reactions everywhere.

Ok, maybe you don't make finals....but you can get the crowd off of their ##### and get great reactions, which can lead to income.

i'm not saying other corps don't get recognized of course they get recognized I mean look at Santa Clara and Crossmen this year.......two underdogs who whipped it out this year and let the crowd have it. But did those corps get AS MUCH recognition as Cavies Crown or PR?

i'm not saying other corps don't get recognized of course they get recognized I mean look at Santa Clara and Crossmen this year.......two underdogs who whipped it out this year and let the crowd have it. But did those corps get AS MUCH recognition as Cavies Crown or PR?

Seems like this would make a great discussion (starting a new topic?).

because then 150 people lose a summer that they could be learning and having fun.

And if stuff hits the fan because things are not set right if will be more than 150 losing out in the future.

Considering Regiment is one of the top draws for DCI, no I don't. They also outsell the other corps' souvies by a mile.

In retrospect, if they didn't clean up their financial mess when they did, then they should have folded for a year or forever. However, that's not what happened. Starting with Seidling and now with Valenzuela, they are doing much better. The last guidestar.com posting shows that they had a profitable year in '10. I can only imagine with two even more popular shows since then that they've done as well or better. They've handled their mess and are working within their means to my knowledge.

Well that's one time that one corps dug themselves out and dodged the bullet (they almost went under in the 50s too). Now how many times cam any corps do this and still survive. Things are getting worse folks with expenses and finding money. Even the well run corps can't dodge things forever, especailly with the way lawsuits are flung around at will.

Some may look at this and think it's good that PR came back, I look at it as oh crap we could have lost a corps. Amazing how some think that a corps almost going under is a good sign because it was "almost".

Question: are you saying a corps financial success can be judged by souvie sales?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Those 150 people deserve to be proud alums of a corps that still exists beyond just next season. How many kids at Teal Sound were having fun when their tour was cut short last summer and they were left scrambling for a new home?

So people cant be proud alums if a corps folds? Because thats exactly what your first sentence says. And dont forget the Glassmen gave those kids a new home. People always say on here to march instead of taking a year off. Now we have a corps and its a decision to march or go inactive. Take the words of advice from the people of DCP and march instead of watching another group have a tragic fall.

• Like 1

People always say on here to march instead of taking a year off. Now we have a corps and its a decision to march or go inactive. Take the words of advice from the people of DCP and march instead of watching another group have a tragic fall.

Was with a corps that took time off to regroup and it worked. Have seen other groups take a season off that are still "waiting" to come back. And there were groups that keep on going, red tape be bleeped, and dig a hole so deep they never could recover. Point is, if you keep plowing on thru without getting your act together (no idea on Gman problems) that fall could be permanent.

And for the record not everyone here says don't take off, just march. Gotta look at the details.....

Similar to College tuition, local members should pay lower tuition, while out of state members pay a higher fee.

The Drum Corp activity must return to local membership & financial support in order for this activity to survive.

It won't ever happen like that because in-state tuition is based on the fact that the student, parents, and relatives in that state pay the taxes that subsidize the tuition.

Or just become 'cool'. Not singling out glassmen on this but there are those that could afford to be more audience friendly. Where do you think crown got such a fan following? From doing highly accessible shows that many dcp elitists called 'too cheesy'.

Sure, drum corps is art, and its fine if you want to go certain directions with your shows... but some directions are going to pay the bills better than others.

1 - I am a Glassmen alumni, and haven't bought a Glassmen shirt in a few years. Why? I hate their shirt designs (and the "dirty gold" color everything seems to be). The coolest shirt they've ever had was the dri-fit black shirt they had a couple years ago (IT WAS AWESOME). I buy quite a few shirts from other corps NOT because I love them or hate Glassmen, but as a DCI Fan, I just buy whatever shirts FROM ALL CORPS I can see myself wearing more than once. Glassmen haven't had many of those. Just saying.

2 - Lots of corps directors are now business people, some without much band/corps background. They then hire a creative and educational staff. A lot of corps will tell you that the corps director isn't allowed to talk to the kids :) but it's because it's their job to run the business of the corps and leave the creative and educational part to people more suited to do that. In MOST cases, the corps running this model are the much more financially solvent groups. Do some research as to which corps I'm talking about and you will see. :)