Save the Glassmen

No, that was just a qualifying statement about their being a top draw/fan favorite. Souvie sales are usually only $3-4K at regular shows and between $5-10K at regional/TOC shows. That'll only buy some fuel and supplies for a day.

OK, just trying to figure out how sales fit into your posts. Thanks.

PS - anyone want a bunch of t and sweat shirts for Hershey Antique Car Show from last week? Think we gotta bunch left again but might be weird sizes..... Oh well.... doorprizes for 2013...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

No, that was just a qualifying statement about their being a top draw/fan favorite. Souvie sales are usually only $3-4K at regular shows and between $5-10K at regional/TOC shows. That'll only buy some fuel and supplies for a day.

One could argue that a corps with high souvie sales is a popular corps; popular corps have an easier time getting private donations from individuals. I'm not sure if that's true, but it seems like a plausible argument. Alumni are more hyped when their corps is doing well competitively and/or is beloved by the drum corps fans in the stands.

i'm not saying other corps don't get recognized of course they get recognized I mean look at Santa Clara and Crossmen this year.......two underdogs who whipped it out this year and let the crowd have it. But did those corps get AS MUCH recognition as Cavies Crown or PR?

come finals week, Crossmen got a ton of love...Cavies got PR, but not the good kind.

But, I don't remember much about Gmen other than "oh those foil flags are cool"

I know this may offend the G family, but years ago they got that boring tag. Well, outside of maybe 6 shows since that time, they've earned it and the lack of buzz that comes with it....and to be honest, 2 of those shows, more of the buzz was about the flugel solist than the show itself

• Like 3

Jeff, I don't disagree with your assessment. But I feel on the field they're still trying to figure out how to show the audience they aren't that boring corps. The 08 show was fun, audience friendly, and aggressive. But still seemed to get minimal love. Sometimes it's like they can't get a break when it comes to that.

• Like 2

Jeff, I don't disagree with your assessment. But I feel on the field they're still trying to figure out how to show the audience they aren't that boring corps. The 08 show was fun, audience friendly, and aggressive. But still seemed to get minimal love. Sometimes it's like they can't get a break when it comes to that.

08 is one of the 6 and I remember people being more stunned than anything that it was fun...kinda like the two years BK wasn;t dark and brooding.

Look, Surf for years was that kinda funny Open Class corps. then they moved into World Class and were just another corps at the bottom. This year, they went way out there, and boom...highest placement in World and HUGE buzz.

Gmen too often come across as playing safe going for the last two finalists spots. Maybe they need to remember what made a year like 98 so good....and memorable

It amazes me. People were up in arms and flailed around about how all these corps that were in trouble put kids at risk and were so irresponsible. Here's a corps with over 50 years of history who at one point was a top 3 drum corps not that along ago, who is simply saying we got behind, please help us insure our future. The corps could not be more responsible. Everyone always says the corps is too private. Here's a good example. Corps come out looking for help at a bad time and is met by the same naysayers. ###### if you do, ###### if you don't.

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far. I'm hearing very positivethings about the eff

Well, while this is certainly better than coming out while on the road and saying 'we're broke', its still #### late in the game. Posting a note that in 30-60 days more is needed than the corps raises in all non-dues sources in a year?

Instead of spending time soliciting $10 donations, we should be brainstorming ways to sustain the activity! Ready...go!

Whats wrong with $10.00 donations?

When our doorbell rings and the local HS band is selling candy or fruit, I make a $10 donation... Why? Because it's more than they make on a $25.00 box of Grapefruit.

Glassmen would welcome your $10... in fact the tragedy is really that since we know the goal is $300,000, many of us that treasure the Glassmen (and all the other corps) are so focused on the fact we CAN'T Give $10,000 that we neglect to give the $10 spot.

After all, at $10 a pop, it'll only take 30,000 donations, lol.

100% correct. If the current model doesn't change, the Drum Corp activity will cease to exist. Drum Corps needs to rationalize & form divisions, similar to professional sports teams...North, South, East, & West. The national touring just doesn't make sense anymore. There needs to be an incentive for local members to join their local Drum Corp. Similar to College tuition, local members should pay lower tuition, while out of state members pay a higher fee.

The Drum Corp activity must return to local membership & financial support in order for this activity to survive.

In the above post, I meant to say "Regionalize & form divisions".

It amazes me. People were up in arms and flailed around about how all these corps that were in trouble put kids at risk and were so irresponsible.

I think that was due in part to the Revo incident in which the director had ordered that certain members be abandoned in Indy because they had refused to march. That, or about corps that leave for tour without the money to pay the bus company for the final leg home, in the hope of collecting enough delinquent tour fees to cover it. Glassmen wouldn't do anything like that, would they ...?satisfied.gif