What does "All Age" look like in the future?

Well, no.

So much pit contribution was lost in Annapolis. To be perfectly honest, all but the largest front ensembles got completely washed out where I was sitting (dead center, two thirds of the way up). Kidsgrove in particular was just begging to be amplified, particularly the djimbe drumming at the start of the program.

I was two rows directly behind you, and the only unamplified sound that I thought wasn't loud enough was vocals by Govenaires drum major -- and that was a surprise because someone (it might have been you!) had posted here during DCI's Minneapolis show, where his voice was also faint, that he was normally quite audible.

DCA Finals was my first time hearing a corps completely unamplified pit live --apart from Spartans at DCI Open Class finals a month earlier-- since 1999. (I went for ten years without seeing a live show.) Lots of people who support pit amplification have claimed that we can't judge from DCI's recordings whether the pits actually were audible before 2004, because their microphones were placed so close to the pit. And there is precious little home video footage of pre-2004 DCI corps on youtube to compare. (Such videos probably reflect more accurately what a particular audience member hears, at least in terms of relative volume.)

So I was quite pleased to find that indeed I could hear the pits just fine, even those Kidsgrove drums you mention.

On a related note, at a (cold!) marching band contest I attended yesterday, there were some unmiked woodwind solos that were quite audible from the last (28th) row. Naturally they wouldn't be if the rest of the band was playing loudly, but that would be every bit as true in the concert hall.

Now, if one's standards require that it be possible for a soloist or pit instrumentation to be every bit as loud as the full ensemble, then I suppose that would lead one to demand amplification. Other people will accept that some instruments are naturally louder than others, and prefer a sound that works within that constraint. For myself, I have trouble writing off all the DCI shows before 2003, and all the DCA shows ever, as somehow musically inferior. Yet apparently most DCI arrangers and designers think that way, since no corps yet seems to have reduced their amplification, once they have it. Thus DCA's rule is forcing a pleasing difference that would vanish if it was repealed.

One thing that has surprised me is how much the past two years of DCA DVDs/CDs --which I purchased at this year's show-- apparently record too much of the pit! This seems particularly true of the 2010 DVDs, and especially for the Hurricanes, where the pit often sounds louder than the horns. I'm sure it didn't sound that way live, if 2010 was anything like this year.

That's great - but why does drum corps have to be the same across both DCI and DCA? DCI is morphing ever closer to the look and sound of marching band, does everything have to look that way? As I said earlier - sharing is good. Leave something on the field for others that don't see it the way you (collectively) do. Not much to ask, is it? We've been asked to accept the changes - accept that there can be a place where those changes are not enacted.

It doesn't have to be the same...unless those who decide these things vote one or more of them in, as was done with multi-key.

I like the addition of A&E, so yes, I think DCA should legalize them too. Why? because the 'A' makes the pits sound better, esp the marimba and vibe voices, and the 'E' has added some great new (to drum corps) sounds and has led to some great shows, such as this year's Blue Knights. Since that is MHO, why would I NOT want DCA to have the advantage of those enhancements? Why would I want DCA to be less than the best it can be?

It doesn't have to be the same...unless those who decide these things vote one or more of them in, as was done with multi-key.

I like the addition of A&E, so yes, I think DCA should legalize them too. Why? because the 'A' makes the pits sound better, esp the marimba and vibe voices, and the 'E' has added some great new (to drum corps) sounds and has led to some great shows, such as this year's Blue Knights. Since that is MHO, why would I NOT want DCA to have the advantage of those enhancements? Why would I want DCA to be less than the best it can be?

And if bills go unpaid, members unfed, logistics and transportation assets stretched, show sponsors not wanting to deal with more event requirements, corps member's dues increased to meet associated expenses, etc., who cares; at least we'll have A&E.........for those corps that are left.

• Like 2

This ol' time drum corps person who started marching in 1964 agrees completely. I loved drum corps then and I love it now. Corps designers today are creating amazing shows, which in no way diminishes what was created back in the day.

This is the only comment/reaction so far that makes sense. I would never imply to take away from designers or performers from the past. For the time, that was progressive and innovative.

• Like 1

This is the only comment/reaction so far that makes sense. I would never imply to take away from designers or performers from the past. For the time, that was progressive and innovative.

What doesn't make sense about the casual fan not being engaged by todays product.......there's no dispute that the stands are, by contrast to decades past, sparsly populated. They must have liked the unrefined impact and power of DRUMS & BUGLES as well as the power and excitement produced in the eclectic age because they came in droves.......long before deep, themed, sophistaced shows became the new standard.....obviously not emoting the same appeal.

Todays designers may think they're slick and on the cutting edge...but if you build it and no one comes...you didn't build anything that will serve to sustain the activity.

• Like 5

If it's so much better how come attendance isn't a shadow of what it was in the dark ages? Apparently the casual fans don't beleive it's as good as it once was! Even the bigger shows such as Barnum and Scranton struggle to get half their seats filled. If you had ever witnessed the excitement and electric atmosphere of the Dream, or the aforementioned shows among others, your perspective would no doubt be differant.

If you want a better production enhanced by electronics and need help understanding a story with added effect...go to a Broadway show. If you want drum corps...go to a good'ol drum corps show!

This comment is so dated, I have a hard time responding to it.

Lack of attendance: 1. Economy (from outrageous member dues to gas prices, we are all affected, especially a 501c3) - anyone dispute? 2. You also have an incredible amount of new activities for youth to participate in, with fewer corps, fewer mom, dads, and grandmas coming to watch. 3. DCA is horrible at PR, a bad website and 10 people on DCP isn't grabbing any new interest.

Broadway at one point and time definitely turned to electronics as well, to help with the overall production and the telling of the story. Ask a designer nowadays, they will tell you drum corps is a production on a football field. Electronics only enhance a production. Now. . . there are and will always be bad shows, bad ideas, areas where electronics can hurt a production. But that's just poor design, not the electronics fault.

Edited by east coast love
  • Like 1

Lack of attendance: 1. Economy (from outrageous member dues to gas prices, we are all affected, especially a 501c3) - anyone dispute?

for this one, I see no connection between lack of attendance at shows and the cost of member dues,.........please clarify,..........

And if bills go unpaid, members unfed, logistics and transportation assets stretched, show sponsors not wanting to deal with more event requirements, corps member's dues increased to meet associated expenses, etc., who cares; at least we'll have A&E.........for those corps that are left.

I think your reaching a little bit on this one.

For starters, if a corps is that fiscally irresponsible and subjects their entire organization to financial collapse just to pick up some amplification equipment.. there are more serious issues at stake. In addition, even if amps do become allowed, I doubt they will be REQUIRED. So, if you want them, get them... if not, or you can't afford them, then don't. I know once a couple of the big guys pick them up everyone will want to jump on that train, but it's more important for an organization to stay alive then to mic the pit.

As far as show sponsors not dealing with more requirements, most are already running a 110v extension cord out to the track for the judges table or in some cases, announcers table anyway. It's not a stretch at all to run another 110v cord, or to run one in the first place. Most stadiums already have power at field level for one reason or another. Things may have changed, but I thought the rules in most band circuits were "everything had to run off of 1 extension cord" so it can be done simply. Were not talking 220 or 3 phase electrical here.

I think when most people think of A&E they are thinking of the full DCI setups we are seeing. Personally.. I hope DCA never gets to that point, ever. I would be ok with simple pit only amplification. Small, simple mix board already pre-set, some small microphones strategically placed, and one amp on either side of the pit. That's it. Your looking at a couple of hundred dollars and 1 power strip. Not these crazy mix boards that require a full time member to monitor during a show. That is not the place DCA needs to journey to IMO. If we get to the point where sound effects are part of a show.. I'm out.

Edited by irishbugle
  • Like 1

If by 'more event requirements' you mean providing power to the field...every band show and football game I have been at since the band I teach has started using some form of A&E has provided this without an issue.

No corps should spend more than it takes in...if a corps wants to use some form of A&E they should live within their means, as with any purchase they want to make. It is hardly a big deal to amplify the pit, cost-wise. If they want to add a synth, guitar or other electronic instruments, they should only do so if finances permit...same as with purchasing new horns, percussion or uniforms.

Lack of attendance: 1. Economy (from outrageous member dues to gas prices, we are all affected, especially a 501c3) - anyone dispute? 2. You also have an incredible amount of new activities for youth to participate in, with fewer corps, fewer mom, dads, and grandmas coming to watch. 3. DCA is horrible at PR, a bad website and 10 people on DCP isn't grabbing any new interest.

Broadway at one point and time definitely turned to electronics as well, to help with the overall production and the telling of the story. Ask a designer nowadays, they will tell you drum corps is a production on a football field. Electronics only enhance a production. Now. . . there are and will always be bad shows, bad ideas, areas where electronics can hurt a production. But that's just poor design, not the electronics fault.

Well my view may well be dated.....but it's sad to watch the activity I love evaporate, though at least I know now I can pretty much attend any show as a walk in and have a fine seat on the fifty....I'll have a great vantage point to take in the story and soak in the production without the distraction of a large, wildly cheering crowd.

The downturn began long before the economy crapped and I have to admit, I'm in the dark as to all the new activities available to the youth of today that didn't exist say 30 years ago?