What does "All Age" look like in the future?

I've always thought of electronics in Drum Corps as a logistical nightmare. Not only is it expensive, but it's more stuff that you have to haul around, set up, take down, load, unload and hope that it doesn't rain or someone might get electricuted, all for something that most fans probably don't care about anyway. The time, money and effort is better spent elsewhere.

• Like 4

I've always thought of electronics in Drum Corps as a logistical nightmare. Not only is it expensive, but it's more stuff that you have to haul around, set up, take down, load, unload and hope that it doesn't rain or someone might get electricuted, all for something that most fans probably don't care about anyway. The time, money and effort is better spent elsewhere.

not to mention having power at all regular and show day rehearsal sites, and maybe backup generators, power packs, etc.

• Like 3

not to mention having power at all regular and show day rehearsal sites, and maybe backup generators, power packs, etc.

and don't forget what happens when rain water and electricity meet!!! NOT GOOD...

• Like 2

Electronics make the production better. Help tell the story, add effect. I'm sure some good 'ol drum corps traditionalists will now talk about the integrity and how drum corps isn't what it used to be.

You will be right, it's better now.

If it's so much better how come attendance isn't a shadow of what it was in the dark ages? Apparently the casual fans don't beleive it's as good as it once was! Even the bigger shows such as Barnum and Scranton struggle to get half their seats filled. If you had ever witnessed the excitement and electric atmosphere of the Dream, or the aforementioned shows among others, your perspective would no doubt be differant.

If you want a better production enhanced by electronics and need help understanding a story with added effect...go to a Broadway show. If you want drum corps...go to a good'ol drum corps show!

• Like 5

Electronics make the production better. Help tell the story, add effect. I'm sure some good 'ol drum corps traditionalists will now talk about the integrity and how drum corps isn't what it used to be.

You're absolutely right, drum corps is better now - for the very few allowed to participate, for the very few who can afford to take a summer off from real life, for the very few who don't mind appearing in jerkwater towns before "crowds" of a few hundred, for the very few who don't mind paying outrageous sums to take part, for the very few who don't mind a two-month season, and for the very few etc., etc., etc. Yup, it's much better.

• Like 5

This ol' time drum corps person who started marching in 1964 agrees completely. I loved drum corps then and I love it now. Corps designers today are creating amazing shows, which in no way diminishes what was created back in the day.

• Like 2

This ol' time drum corps person who started marching in 1964 agrees completely. I loved drum corps then and I love it now. Corps designers today are creating amazing shows, which in no way diminishes what was created back in the day.

That's great - but why does drum corps have to be the same across both DCI and DCA? DCI is morphing ever closer to the look and sound of marching band, does everything have to look that way? As I said earlier - sharing is good. Leave something on the field for others that don't see it the way you (collectively) do. Not much to ask, is it? We've been asked to accept the changes - accept that there can be a place where those changes are not enacted.

• Like 3

If it's so much better how come attendance isn't a shadow of what it was in the dark ages? Apparently the casual fans don't beleive it's as good as it once was! Even the bigger shows such as Barnum and Scranton struggle to get half their seats filled. If you had ever witnessed the excitement and electric atmosphere of the Dream, or the aforementioned shows among others, your perspective would no doubt be differant.

If you want a better production enhanced by electronics and need help understanding a story with added effect...go to a Broadway show. If you want drum corps...go to a good'ol drum corps show!

"Bridgeport, Bridgeport:....

I remmeber all too well the PACKED stadiums (Hedges & JFK) both sides for the old Barnum, and the "Standard" crowds of 25,000+ that jammed the long gone Roosevelt Stadium....

Just taking the field in EXIBITION at those two shows and hearing the ROAR of those crowds....

Unreal...

Elphaba

• Like 1

"Bridgeport, Bridgeport:....

I remmeber all too well the PACKED stadiums (Hedges & JFK) both sides for the old Barnum

Elphaba

Even into the late 1970s/early 1980s when I marched.... those crowds at the Barnum Festival. Incredible. Full house on the concert side, and a whole bunch of people on the back side. And what a fired-up crowd! Great mix of locals and "drum corps veterans."

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1