More Licensing Issues

I voted you up; you're almost back to neutral. I know you're not an official spokesperson for DCI on these boards.

But are you able to answer this question: do you believe DCI is being as forthcoming as they can be?

For instance, several weeks ago, I noticed that DCI's website listing for the "2012 World Championship DVD Vol. 3" listed Revolution as one of the performances that would be included.

However, as far back as early September, it was observed in these forums that Revolution's performance has been missing from the Fan Network. (It was also noticed that Revolution's web site appeared to have shut down.)

So I e-mailed DCI asking if Revolution would indeed appear on the DVD.

I got no answer.

Trusting that DCI's website was correct, I ordered the DVD. Now we learn this:

"Revolution: In adherence to copyright and music licensing procedures, the performance of Revolution does not appear on this compilation."

I'm not really demanding DCI give me a 7% discount on that DVD because one of the 14 promised corps is missing. But I do feel misled. Why can't DCI just tell the truth about what's going on? Obviously there's a big problem with Revolution that DCI must have known about for months, but they've said nothing beyond finally, in today's e-mail, that rather Orwellian description.

I do believe everyone is forthcoming based on what they know, but I'm also aware that sometimes, things fall between the cracks.

I will also tell you and anyone else that if you don't get an answer to a question you think is important, drop me a line. I generally know who to ask even though I don't work in the office and I've gotten answers for others in the past.

in the old days we waited for Drum Corps World to appear weekly during the summer ... and then one year it had color photos ...

now, we have recorded shows that are edited (and in some instances {PR 2011} finals on dvd shows Juliet not stabbing herself) the edited content is not even from the same show ...

why bother with recording specific events if that is not treated with respect as to what actually happened at that show ...?

• Like 3

So, Boo, or anyone: what's the deal with Revolution's 2012 show? It's not going to be on the DVD, CD, and it's no longer on the Fan Network, with no real explanation. :ph34r:

I don't know, but I've just talked with someone who will follow up on it. I'm going to be gone all day tomorrow, and I may not have the proper answer until Monday from the person who needs to be approached about it. I'll let you know what I find out, and if I forget because of things I'm doing tomorrow, please remind me.

I have an idea what happened, but I never speculate unless I know for sure what's going on.

The problem with what you are saying is that the corps designers do not (heck, they cannot) consider the DVD or Fan Network when designing. If it all works out, great, but their primary focus is and MUST be the competitive field product. Period. Sync and streaming rights are not, and never have been, the responsibility of the corps. Heck, the majority of the time you can't even secure those rights until the product is finished (which is why these things crop up in the off season).

You're right in regards to designers. However, in our activity, there is a corps director whose job is to monitor all aspects of their corps, including programming and securing all necessary rights.

The DVDs, BluRays, and Fan Network are such a small part of DCI's revenue (and likely the fastest shrinking segment of that revenue over the years), there's no way DCI could "ram through" a rule that would have such an enormous impact on show design, with the corps getting little in return.

And THERE is the heart of the matter: the revenue stream is not worth the hassle for DCI to bend over backwards to ensure that corps program their products to industry specs. I can totally respect that answer (assuming it's true and not hypothetical or guesstimate), and will likely respond in kind by not bothers to purchase DVDs and Blu-rays that are disregarded by designers and DCI.

Seriously: I fell this is all cleared up.

So...

who's going to win in 2013?

What DCI should do is figure out how to better communicate what DCI and the drum corps activity is, approaching the problem in a positive way...attempt to build a partnership with publishers and sync/stream rights holders.

Forgot to add that this is 100% the likely solution to the problem. It's far more unlikely, I would guess, that corporate rights holders will just say, "Oh, a non-profit marching band thing? Sure, take what you want for little/no compensation to us."

But we'll never know until we try...

Gotta love our country when things like that can happen, and when music is all about money.

Well, to be fair, it's not just music. And the creative people & copy right holders often like to maintain what they believe is the integrity of their art and not see it ripped and used by others for purposes that may or may not be consistent with the original intent. It's hard to say what I would do in a similar situation, but I respect the artists' feelings in this one, not DCI designers.

• Like 2

Yes, I understand. Sorry to have been unclear. My points were (1) I considered the sampling detrimental to the quality of the shows in the first place, so I won't miss it for its own sake; but also (2) that I know removing the sounds of sampling means removing all sounds during periods when the sampling occurs. We appear to be in complete agreement.

Gotcha :thumbup: