More Licensing Issues

I don't believe so. As problems are discovered, remedies are sought. But things are certainly trickier now than they had been in the past and I wouldn't be surprised if shows become being designed more to get around these problems...and problems that might crop up in the future.

It is the hope of everyone involved with DCI to be able to offer as much content as is absolutely possible. It may be requiring more work in the near future... but it certainly is being addressed and the issue is being taken seriously.

PS: Seriously, it is the hope of everyone involved with DCI that we can find a solution to all this and make unblemished the audio and video heritage of our past, present and future shows for all.

PPS: Seeing that a number of people apparently disagree with my transparency in being willing to openly discuss the truth about people working to at least attempt to resolve these issues as best they can, and that everyone with DCI wants to find a solution...Would people just prefer that I not attempt to bridge the gap between those that honestly want to know what's going on and those who know the answers? Because I'm cool with whatever folks want. I just don't quite comprehend the "shoot the messenger" sense I'm picking up from this, as I've always felt an obligation to let people on DCP know what's going on if I have the information. I thought people appreciated that sort of candor, but I apologize if I'm mistaken.

I voted you up; you're almost back to neutral. I know you're not an official spokesperson for DCI on these boards.

But are you able to answer this question: do you believe DCI is being as forthcoming as they can be?

For instance, several weeks ago, I noticed that DCI's website listing for the "2012 World Championship DVD Vol. 3" listed Revolution as one of the performances that would be included.

However, as far back as early September, it was observed in these forums that Revolution's performance has been missing from the Fan Network. (It was also noticed that Revolution's web site appeared to have shut down.)

So I e-mailed DCI asking if Revolution would indeed appear on the DVD.

I got no answer.

Trusting that DCI's website was correct, I ordered the DVD. Now we learn this:

"Revolution: In adherence to copyright and music licensing procedures, the performance of Revolution does not appear on this compilation."

I'm not really demanding DCI give me a 7% discount on that DVD because one of the 14 promised corps is missing. But I do feel misled. Why can't DCI just tell the truth about what's going on? Obviously there's a big problem with Revolution that DCI must have known about for months, but they've said nothing beyond finally, in today's e-mail, that rather Orwellian description.

I don't see how any corps director or designer can responsibly use pre-recorded material at this point. 99% of the time it adds nothing to the product, and it's obvious that DCI & the corps cannot figure out or afford the licensing of this stuff.

Will any director be brave enough to propose a rules change?

• Like 1

Someone at DCI has to be accountable for this. Failure to get proper rights is a reflection on the performance of DCI. There's no reason for this issue to surface year, after year, after year.

I envision:

That person is identified. Dan A. walks up to him or her and demands an answer. The reply is:

"I applied, I called, I begged and they said No. Then I begged some more and they agreed to grant the rights for a price that is three times my budget. I asked for permission to pay the fee and was told No."

Dan's reply: "Thanks for the explanation. You're fired."

And that solves what?

• Like 5

So what's going to happen when a top ranking corps ends up being completely left off the discs like Revolution ... and the purchasers of those discs do not know until 10 days before the product shows up at your door.

I guess as the email stated DCI will refund $ if requested.

Edited by ashevillemurphy

That's the strongest argument of all for DCI - the sanctioning circuit - to step in and prohibit non-original sampling, protect the DCI - the corps body - product for future use, sale and revenue distribution. Let's face it, right now you can't see or purchase to view the champion's show online. Everyone hurts from that.

Mike

And the only argument DCI needs to enforce the rule is "It will cause fewer people to pay for our recorded content, and that affects much more than just your corps".

One way to stop this is to prevent any corps whose content gets blacked out on DCI's media from collecting any royalties from DCI for sales of that media.

• Like 1

I'm almost gun shy to comment on these sort of things anymore, as according to my PPS on post #5, which I've extracted below.

Seeing that a number of people apparently disagree with my transparency in being willing to openly discuss the truth about people working to at least attempt to resolve these issues as best they can, and that everyone with DCI wants to find a solution...Would people just prefer that I not attempt to bridge the gap between those that honestly want to know what's going on and those who know the answers? Because I'm cool with whatever folks want. I just don't quite comprehend the "shoot the messenger" sense I'm picking up from this, as I've always felt an obligation to let people on DCP know what's going on if I have the information. I thought people appreciated that sort of candor, but I apologize if I'm mistaken.

I think you're fine, Mike. It bothers me that some comments bother you, because you are not the problem, and you never will be the problem. Please know that you have at least one fan who is on your side, and I appreciate all your posts. You are the common man's best connection to DCI.

+++

I have a stake in this discussion, because I pre-ordered the Blue Ray disc so I have already put my money out for this product.

I believe ALL the corps made their shows the best they could for the fan, and I believe some issues came up later that were not anticipated. I believe that smart people who care deeply about DCI and its fans have spent tons of hours of their time and money trying to resolve those issues. I appreciate the efforts made. Not everything turns out the way we want.

I don't own the DVD for every year DCI has made one, but I am happy to spend my money to buy this one.

• Like 3

You can keep repeating that, but it won't make my statement any less true.

I'm sorry Kamarag. I should have edited my statement to add that when I hear about a comment (re: edits) from a Director saying "we expected that," they could have at that point chosen NOT to risk requiring edits.

Why would these people put all that effort into a show to not have a concise copy of it on the DVD? Why does DCI even bother to hire Tom Blair's production company to record finals?

Why can't the corps work with DCI to help this along?