More Licensing Issues

Just got this email from DCI:

Dear Valued Fan:

Thank you for your pre-order of Drum Corps International's 2012 World Championship audio/video products! Not only do these products capture all of the excitement and exceptional live performances of the world's best marching music ensembles at the World Championships, but the sale of DCI's audio and video products helps to provide much-needed financial support to the participating organizations.

We're sending you this note to let you know that we are nearing completion of the production of this year's CD, DVD and Blu-ray sets, and your order is in our system awaiting processing. Right now we expect these products to begin shipping from our Indianapolis warehouse the week of November 12. This means you will see a charge on your credit card within the next two weeks and will receive a confirmation via e-mail once your order ships.

We know how much these products mean to participants, fans of drum corps and collectors, which is why we work so hard each year to produce products of the highest possible quality. From working with music publishers and securing appropriate licensing on behalf of the corps in compliance with copyright requirements, to choosing photography and designing product packaging, to meticulously checking each video and audio track to ensure it meets the highest standards of excellence, there is a lot that goes into producing these products each year. We are quite proud of the results!

Specific to music licensing, Drum Corps International adheres to copyright law and respects the intellectual property rights of artists whose works are performed by its member organizations. Periodically, edits to performances are necessary due to these video and music licensing considerations. We work to carry out these edits to the best of our ability to maintain the quality and integrity of the performances while still complying with intellectual property rights and copyright law.

Throughout the year we work tirelessly with music publishers in order to secure rights for every performance. Despite our diligent efforts right up to the absolute final production deadlines, there are occasions when for various reasons those rights cannot be obtained. The following is a list of performance edits that have been made to this year's products.

2012 World Championships Volume I DVD and Blu-ray

• The Cadets: 6 seconds of video and audio of unlicensed, pre-recorded material has been removed.

• The Cadets: 31 seconds of audio of unlicensed, pre-recorded material has been muted. The video of this segment is provided in its entirety.

• Spirit of Atlanta: 19 seconds of video and audio of unlicensed, pre-recorded material has been removed.

2012 World Championships Volume II DVD

• Jersey Surf: 2 minutes and 7 seconds of video at the end of this performance has been blacked out. The audio of this segment is provided in its entirety.

2012 World Championships Volume III DVD

• Gold: 2 minutes and 30 seconds of video and audio of unlicensed material has been removed.

• Gold: 15 seconds of video and audio of unlicensed, pre-recorded material has been removed.

• Music City: 4 short instances of video and audio of unlicensed, pre-recorded material has been removed.

• Revolution: In adherence to copyright and music licensing procedures, the performance of Revolution does not appear on this compilation.

2012 World Championships CD

• The Cadets: 37 seconds of unlicensed, pre-recorded material has been removed.

Please feel free to contact me if you have further questions about the status of your order. Your purchase continues to support the ongoing operations of Drum Corps International and the performing corps that you see on the field each summer. As is Drum Corps International policy, if you are not absolutely delighted with your purchase, we will provide you with a complete refund.

As an additional thank you for being among the first to order this year's World Championship audio/visual products, I wanted to be the first to let you know about an upcoming Friends and Family sale we will be having next week online at shop.DCI.org. Between Nov. 9 and 12, use coupon code FF12EB during the checkout process to save 20% on merchandise storewide. Visit DCI.org during the promotional period for additional information and program restrictions.

Ric Oberlin

Director of Operations

Drum Corps International

Marching Music's Major League™

Edited by ashevillemurphy

What you don't seem to realize is it would still cost DCI money to defend against this suit...

You're assuming there would be a suit. I'm saying it would never come to that. The persistent presence of even more extensive clips on YouTube proves that no one is policing this content.

This isn't Napster. DCI isn't intefering with anyone's commercial opportunities (or even with their intellectual property, if the truth be told).

Worst case for DCI were the Charlie Brown license-holder to bother to send a letter is DCI would pull the content. No one is going to try to extract money from DCI. Even if it were legally possible, it's just not worth it.

HH

Edited by glory

What you don't seem to realize is it would still cost DCI money to defend against this suit. The second you bring this to the lawyers and they start work the meter is running. Even if the suit is thrown out in a heartbeat there is still all the lawyerly prep work to pay for. And DCI cannot try to recoupe their losses unless they can prove the suit was malicious in nature which would not be likely.

Know two business owners who were caught up in a sting operation the state ran against 8 or so other (like) businesses. Long story but the states case was non-existant against these two but the state continued with the suit. Everytime one of the owners made a motion they all had to show up, even if only one had the motion (usually). Finally the lawyers of the two told them "Look, you'll be found innocent when we go to trial BUT.... you'll also be broke before we get to trial". Ended up pleading no contest with a probation period and no more paying the lawyers and court costs. have that in mind whenever someone talks about "no problems if you're innocent".

Gotta love our country when things like that can happen, and when music is all about money.

• Like 1

You're assuming there would be a suit. I'm saying it would never come to that.

I'm not saying one way or another what would happen. But if I was DCI I'd sure protect myself as much as possible because it could happen. Kinda like putting on your seatbelt (before the laws made it manditory) doesn't mean you're assuming you'll get into a wreck but ..... just in case.....

LOL, deja vu all over again.... When I was on Council my old church put up "No Trespassing" signs up in the parking lot years ago because of skateboarders. Worry was because we knew it was going on we could be liable if someone got hurt. Loooong discussion but ended with:

"I'd don't think anyone would sue a church"

"Yeah but legally they could and that's the problem"

"That's not being Christian"

"Neither is closing the doors because we're bankrupt... take your choice".

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Gotta love our country when things like that can happen, and when music is all about money.

Don't forget the "it's my intellectual property and I don't like what you did with it". IOW - gettin' sued and money isn't the issue.

You're assuming there would be a suit. I'm saying it would never come to that. The persistent presence of even more extensive clips on YouTube proves that no one is policing this content.

This isn't Napster. DCI isn't intefering with anyone's commercial opportunities (or even with their intellectual property, if the truth be told).

Worst case for DCI were the Charlie Brown license-holder to bother to send a letter is DCI would pull the content. No one is going to try to extract money from DCI. Even if it were legally possible, it's just not worth it.

HH

I wish it were otherwise, but I'm afraid you're wrong on all counts. DCI is absolutely correct in taking this sort of thing seriously.

• Like 7

The question is when was the page you reference put up .... the changes to the actual description of the DVD on the page where you purchase it has been added recently.

My guess is they have either finished the manufacturing process and know what the master of the Championship Final contains ...

I know some folks (me included) would/will be ###### if the disc only has the high view.

At least right now, the wording looks virtually identical, except for the audio:

From the BluRay order page:

Preorder the 2012 World Championship Blu-Ray Today! Item scheduled to ship in late November.

High Camera Option

• DTS HD Master Audio Option

• Featuring Top 12 World Championship Corps:

• Blue Devils

• Carolina Crown

• Phantom Regiment

• The Cadets

• Santa Clara Vanguard

• Bluecoats

• Boston Crusaders

• The Cavaliers

• Madison Scouts

• Blue Knights

• Spirit of Atlanta

• Crossmen

From the DVD order page:

Preorder the 2012 World Championship Blu-Ray Today! Item scheduled to ship in late November.

High Camera Option

• Featuring Top 12 World Championship Corps:

• Blue Devils

• Carolina Crown

• Phantom Regiment

• The Cadets

• Santa Clara Vanguard

• Bluecoats

• Boston Crusaders

• The Cavaliers

• Madison Scouts

• Blue Knights

• Spirit of Atlanta

• Crossmen

I do find it interesting that both pages say "Blu-Ray" in the first sentence... :blink:

Just got this email from DCI:

Dear Valued Fan:

Thank you for your pre-order of Drum Corps International's 2012 World Championship audio/video products! Not only do these products capture all of the excitement and exceptional live performances of the world's best marching music ensembles at the World Championships, but the sale of DCI's audio and video products helps to provide much-needed financial support to the participating organizations.

We're sending you this note to let you know that we are nearing completion of the production of this year's CD, DVD and Blu-ray sets, and your order is in our system awaiting processing. Right now we expect these products to begin shipping from our Indianapolis warehouse the week of November 12. This means you will see a charge on your credit card within the next two weeks and will receive a confirmation via e-mail once your order ships.

We know how much these products mean to participants, fans of drum corps and collectors, which is why we work so hard each year to produce products of the highest possible quality. From working with music publishers and securing appropriate licensing on behalf of the corps in compliance with copyright requirements, to choosing photography and designing product packaging, to meticulously checking each video and audio track to ensure it meets the highest standards of excellence, there is a lot that goes into producing these products each year. We are quite proud of the results!

Specific to music licensing, Drum Corps International adheres to copyright law and respects the intellectual property rights of artists whose works are performed by its member organizations. Periodically, edits to performances are necessary due to these video and music licensing considerations. We work to carry out these edits to the best of our ability to maintain the quality and integrity of the performances while still complying with intellectual property rights and copyright law.

Throughout the year we work tirelessly with music publishers in order to secure rights for every performance. Despite our diligent efforts right up to the absolute final production deadlines, there are occasions when for various reasons those rights cannot be obtained. The following is a list of performance edits that have been made to this year's products.

2012 World Championships Volume I DVD and Blu-ray

• The Cadets: 6 seconds of video and audio of unlicensed, pre-recorded material has been removed.

• The Cadets: 31 seconds of audio of unlicensed, pre-recorded material has been muted. The video of this segment is provided in its entirety.

• Spirit of Atlanta: 19 seconds of video and audio of unlicensed, pre-recorded material has been removed.

2012 World Championships Volume II DVD

• Jersey Surf: 2 minutes and 7 seconds of video at the end of this performance has been blacked out. The audio of this segment is provided in its entirety.

2012 World Championships Volume III DVD

• Gold: 2 minutes and 30 seconds of video and audio of unlicensed material has been removed.

• Gold: 15 seconds of video and audio of unlicensed, pre-recorded material has been removed.

• Music City: 4 short instances of video and audio of unlicensed, pre-recorded material has been removed.

• Revolution: In adherence to copyright and music licensing procedures, the performance of Revolution does not appear on this compilation.

2012 World Championships CD

• The Cadets: 37 seconds of unlicensed, pre-recorded material has been removed.

Please feel free to contact me if you have further questions about the status of your order. Your purchase continues to support the ongoing operations of Drum Corps International and the performing corps that you see on the field each summer. As is Drum Corps International policy, if you are not absolutely delighted with your purchase, we will provide you with a complete refund.

As an additional thank you for being among the first to order this year's World Championship audio/visual products, I wanted to be the first to let you know about an upcoming Friends and Family sale we will be having next week online at shop.DCI.org. Between Nov. 9 and 12, use coupon code FF12EB during the checkout process to save 20% on merchandise storewide. Visit DCI.org during the promotional period for additional information and program restrictions.

Ric Oberlin

Director of Operations

Drum Corps International

Marching Music's Major League™

"Not only do these products capture all of the excitement and exceptional live performances of the world's best marching music ensembles at the World Championships ..." but they DO NOT offer all of the performances ....