More Licensing Issues

I have submitted a question to the roundtable project on what DCIs plans are with regard to sync rights. I would hope it gets asked and I would hope DCI answer.

It's a real shame that most of you won't ever get to see the show(s) as they were intended to be seen. I'm sorry but that sucks... big time!

I don't really care who is to blame for the current impasse DCI or the Corps themselves. This needs fixed and it needs fixed now.

Meantime let's go pick on Boo, it's all his fault..... I have a load of townsfolk, a pitch fork and one of those torch things ph34r.gif

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB

I have submitted a question to the roundtable project on what DCIs plans are with regard to sync rights. I would hope it gets asked and I would hope DCI answer.

It's a real shame that most of you won't ever get to see the show(s) as they were intended to be seen. I'm sorry but that sucks... big time!

I don't really care who is to blame for the current impasse DCI or the Corps themselves. This needs fixed and it needs fixed now.

Meantime let's go pick on Boo, it's all his fault..... I have a load of townsfolk, a pitch fork and one of those torch things ph34r.gif

to me,...........it seems like many of the issues involve sampling, I blame this on the corps' show designers,........I think they are simply ignoring the obvious in wanting to be creative with the PA systems,..........

• Like 1

to me,...........it seems like many of the issues involve sampling, I blame this on the corps' show designers,........I think they are simply ignoring the obvious in wanting to be creative with the PA systems,..........

Except there are entire shows and/or entire pieces of music within a show that are not being seen and heard, in addition to the short bits of sampled material.

Yeah, what are those torch things called... starts with a 't' I think...

On point #3: Unless my early-onset dementia has taken over, doesn't that apply only to groups over a certain size like 40 or 50?

I haven't heard that but it was two decades ago that I worked at that library. And again, they weren't lawyers.

then if nothing else, it's time DCI gets off their ### and offers finals on the Fan Network

This brings up a great point: perhaps ongoing sync rights issues will be the impetus for DCI putting Finals on Fan Network. If the DVD's & Fan Network archive performances continue to need editing, and if sales are dropping on DVD's/Blu-rays, then a new money stream could easily be streaming Finals. There is already a demand, and with the perception that archival footage of corps' complete show is not a priority for DCI, there may be even more demand to stream finals (as a sort of "this is the last time you will be able to see performances unedited").

well, so much for my order. i'm done ordering dvd's and cd's

I'm with you; after last year my wife and I decided to wait until after the season to see how many shows would be edited. As this problem continues to grow, I will be sitting out and not purchasing the DVd's or Blu-rays. This kinda sucks, because I really was blown away by the Blu-ray quality of last year. Maybe I'll instead purchase the 'classic' archival stuff (such as the Blu-ray Champions collection).

Meantime let's go pick on Boo, it's all his fault..... I have a load of townsfolk, a pitch fork and one of those torch things.

I'll bring the marshmallows for the bonfire. We're having a marshmallow roast; aren't we?

• Like 1

I'm a lawyer. I'd publish the full product and then wait for the rights owner to send a C+D before doing anything preemptive. Easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

I'd love to see someone attempt to sue a 501©(3) over a quote.

But I think this approach has already been tried by DCI, BOA, and WGI. They "asked for forgiveness" in the early to mid 2000s when this first became an issue. DCI, BOA, and WGI can no longer fly under the radar and these days, they must as for permission. I have a feeling they have used up all of their "get out of jail free" cards.

• Like 1

Good point. I think it's highly possible, and I have heard very similar sentiments from a corps who has had sync rights issues in the past.

Instead of taking the Charlie Brown quote and re-phrase it and/or rerecord it to avoid copyright violations (since the recording is also cut from the CD that means it's copyright and not sync issues), Cadets obviously chose to try to squeeze an extra tenth or two by posting the original. Working in this activity, even I know that Peanuts samples are pretty much off the table as far as getting permission.

• Like 1