More Licensing Issues

I understand the whole licensing thing BUT.....Corps versions of songs aren't the exact rendition of the original AND Corps really don't make money by using that music. Now, when I played in a band in Rochester, NY, we (the band) did not have to pay ASCAP or other companies, as it was the responsibility of the bar or club. So, with that, why do DCI corps have to pay for the rights to pieces of music? Shouldn't it be the responsibilities of the show sponsor? Or DCI?

DCI produces the DVDs. Well, technically, the company they contract does it, but it's essentially the same since any fees get passed on to DCI.

I'm just saying we shouldn't blindly enforce a 1972 standard for a 2012 world.

Actually the 1972 standard was Drum Corps was getting away with not getting rights to the music they performed (they lucked out). Had nothing to do with the non-3 valve instruments (thought that but was told wrong by someone in the know). Now with the Internet nothing escapes attention and we're more lawsuit minded than 4 decades ago.

I understand the whole licensing thing BUT.....Corps versions of songs aren't the exact rendition of the original AND Corps really don't make money by using that music. Now, when I played in a band in Rochester, NY, we (the band) did not have to pay ASCAP or other companies, as it was the responsibility of the bar or club. So, with that, why do DCI corps have to pay for the rights to pieces of music? Shouldn't it be the responsibilities of the show sponsor? Or DCI?

It is DCI (they produce the discs) that has to attempt to retain rights and pay for them, if applicable, to "synch" that content to the disc(s) ... if the owner of the content refuses to allow it to be used then that's that ... if the owner wants too much money same deal ... but if DCI doesn't even attempt to retain those rights there is something wrong - change the rules or pay up so that the fans, parents and corps members stop getting left out in the end.

I find it hard to believe that so much content would have to be cut in a single year ... including an entire corps show and more than 2 minutes of another.

Edited by ashevillemurphy

Um, if you had produced an album or video using the music, you would have needed to get synch rights in addition to public performance rights, right? Or at least somebody would have. Doesn't really matter who's legal responsibility it is, it is DCI's management responsibility to ensure that member corps do not behave in ways that interfere with the promotion of the sport. In other words, it is DCI's responsibility to make it the corps' responsibility. That's the first step that seems to be missing.

Oh, and another solution (#3 I think): Any show content that is deemed to violate any copyright (for example having to be removed from the media products) retroactively subtracts from the score that corps received at finals according to the proportion of the performance time affected. So, in a ten minute show, a one minute deletion or sound suppression would result in a 10% score reduction, and presumably a change in rank as well. And, of course, alteration of prize moneys as needed.

More realistically, you could take a standard 10 point amount and apply it to that, so in the above example it would only be a one point reduction. Still painful enough to motivate significantly.

But of course, this would require the member corps putting the sport's interest above their own individual interests, which is unlikely to happen when DCI is run by the corps themselves.

On a little brighter note, I found the following video on youtube that may add a little levity to the topic. It's not great, but has a bit of topical humor (please, no minuses for me if you don't like it!)

I gave you the minus, since I own the copyright on minuses. You can minus me back, but it'll cost you a dollar.

Either way, I win! :thumbup:

Could DCI digitally "subtract" the source audio from the recorded audio? I know this is possible when the source is digitally added in the first place. The procedure is to 'invert' the source audio, and then add it to the target, and the opposite wave forms cancel each other out. It's still imperfect as I understand it, but the real problem is that these clips are not digitally added in the first place, but recorded via mic. Still, if the corps can provide the original audio track, with some echo effects (to mimic the stadium reflection) it might be possible to muddy the voice enough to be unrecognizable, while still allowing the music to be heard.

Solution #4: Make the corps pay for a talented audio engineer to perform the above procedure.

Has this been tried?

• Like 1

While we're on the subject of chopped/altered recordings, I was watching the Fan Network and, if I'm correct, the trumpet solo for Carolina Crown at finals this year (at 3:57) is NOT the same version as the solo that was performed that night. Does anyone agree?

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 3