Boston Crusaders not in TOC shows?

afd

I can't agree with you more BRASSO.

I'm not sure where my other post disappeared in this thread (was deleted so I apologize for the repeat to those who read it), but I will reiterate that I will not be attending the show at Giant's stadium this year. This is not because I don't enjoy the corps participating, but because I have a bad taste in my mouth from the actions of the G7 over the last couple of years and recently with Boston as well. I am truly heart broken. I have championed drum corps over the last 25 years and I am am ashamed as to where the activity has gone. I will continue to attend shows, donate, buy souvies, watch fan network as I do every year. I am just not too sure if the drum corps family will ever recover.

Your post disappeared, so did mine and I got a nice message to go along with losing many posts from yesterday. Its all good on my part, if I had a $1 for every post that has disappeared on these forums over the last 10 yrs, and $5 for the nice messages, I could sponser a kid for a whole summer. haha! That is the mods. job and IMO they do a very good job here on DCP. Us posters get a little crazy at times... ya think.

I had this grand plan for the weekend, in some ways it has worked, in others it has been a great failure. I kinda needed those posts to lead up to today but alas they are gone... the weekend is still here, and I guess this is where they want me to finish off my posts... I had one person chime in, I said I would post it and here it is. Cris Komnick says... this isn't an inititive of DCI and is not aligned with its mission. The efforts of these 7 are independent of DCI and stand seperate of the DCI entity. Also, its important to understand that DCI is not some ominous entity running independently of the corps. DCI is essencially owned (through an association) by all 22 of the World Class Corps. For example, The Madison Scouts own 1/22 of DCI. Each group is a equal owner of this associaion and as such, directly controls the mission and buisness of this entity. This two, is a point of contention amongst 7 of those org.

I posted... So why not remove them? Cris goes on to say...Its a pretty complex issue, but no doubt the future will hold many changes.

I should tell you all that I marched with Cris and he knows me very well, IMO he knows what I am doing. I have a method to my so called... madness. Today is a new day, with new questions and it is still the weekend. His last sentence says alot in my book...

I think you all know the next question.

Edited by thirdcoast

What has Boston done recently that has left a bad taste in your mouth? If what Brasso says is true (and we are all speculating on everything here), than Boston's actions regarding the G7 may even be quite noble.

I don't mean to speak for Liahona, but I think the bad taste he was referring to was from the actions of the G7 and their TREATMENT of Boston in all of this, so you guys are probably on the same page. :smile:

I don't mean to speak for Liahona, but I think the bad taste he was referring to was from the actions of the G7 and their TREATMENT of Boston in all of this, so you guys are probably on the same page. :smile:/>/>/>/>/>/>

Also chilling in my view in the power point presentation ( on another thread here) on page 12, the G7 document states the Open Class Corps (quote ) "provide no real service offered ".

These people have gone completely off the rails. They have lost themselves in their own narcissistic greed and self importance and have totally lost sight of " the real service " of Drum Corps.

Notwithstanding the very real importance of the financial aspects of Drum Corps, one should not divorce oneself from the fact that this is a non professional youth activity. Its " services offered " go way beyond competitive placement of each Corps.It is the height of arrogance to believe that a marchers learning and maturing experience with its life changing experiences can only be found and derived from just among the self proclaimed elite units. That is not only arrogant, it is false on the facts as well.

Would the " elite " Head Football Coaches of the top college football teams tell us that " Pop Warner Youth Football " provides " no real service offered " to its youth participants ? Would the Coaches, Managers, Owners, Players ofMajor League baseball tell us that Little League Baseball, High School baseball, Babe Ruth League baseball, " provide no real service offered" to its youth participants ? Would the USA Womens Olympic Soccer team tell us that US Girl's youth soccer "provides no real servive offered " ? We would never hear this.

A goodly number of these G7 Corps each year take into their Corps, marchers that marched in other Drum Corps. Some started in Open Class Corps. So we can say with a degree of certainty that these elite Corps received the" service offered" from these Corps each time they take in a marcher with previous Drum Corps experience to their the non elite Corps. Lost apparently in the process is that without a steady influx of marchers from previous Corps, these G7 Corps would likely have never attained their current competitive placement status.

Finally, the notion that a sub group within the World Class Division can dictate provisions that would lead only to institutional future competive slotting is abhorrent, imo. The G7 wanted to rig the system to give themselves an even GREATER future competitive advantage than they already enjoy. I'm glad they were stopped in their tracks by all the other Corps... including the Executive Directors of the Open Class Corps. On the other hand, if they want to leave DCI, I say let them go... and don't let the door hit you on the way out.I have little patience anymore for coming upon a startled fox with blood and feathers all over his nose, mouth, chin,face,etc and with that oh so innocent look on its face that seemingly is asking me when he's confronted :... "hey,.. where did all the freakin' chickens go ?. This chicken coop is almost almost empty now and not like it used to be "....... Ya, right, Mr. Fox,.. where did they all go indeed.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

Also chilling in my view in the power point presentation ( on another thread here) on page 12, the G7 document states the Open Class Corps (quote ) "provide no real service offered ".

These people have gone completely off the rails. They have lost themselves in their own narcissistic greed and self importance and have totally lost sight of " the real service " of Drum Corps.

Notwithstanding the very real importance of the financial aspects of Drum Corps, one should not divorce oneself from the fact that this is a non professional youth activity. Its " services offered " go way beyond competitive placement of each Corps.It is the height of arrogance to believe that a marchers learning and maturing experience with its life changing experiences can only be found and derived from just among the self proclaimed elite units. That is not only arrogant, it is false on the facts as well.

Would the " elite " Head Football Coaches of the top college football teams tell us that " Pop Warner Youth Football " provides " no real service offered " to its youth participants ? Would the Coaches, Managers, Owners, Players ofMajor League baseball tell us that Little League Baseball, High School baseball, Babe Ruth League baseball, " provide no real service offered" to its youth participants ? Would the USA Womens Olympic Soccer team tell us that US Girl's youth soccer "provides no real servive offered " ? We would never hear this.

A goodly number of these G7 Corps each year take into their Corps, marchers that marched in other Drum Corps. Some started in Open Class Corps. So we can say with a degree of certainty that these elite Corps received the" service offered" from these Corps each time they take in a marcher with previous Drum Corps experience to their the non elite Corps. Lost apparently in the process is that without a steady influx of marchers from previous Corps, these G7 Corps would likely have never attained their current competitive placement status.

Finally, the notion that a sub group within the World Class Division can dictate provisions that would lead only to institutional future competive slotting is abhorrent, imo. The G7 wanted to rig the system to give themselves an even GREATER future competitive advantage than they already enjoy. I'm glad they were stopped in their tracks by all the other Corps... including the Executive Directors of the Open Class Corps. On the other hand, if they want to leave DCI, I say let them go... and don't let the door hit you on the way out.I have little patience anymore for coming upon a startled fox with blood and feathers all over his nose, mouth, chin,face,etc and with that oh so innocent look on its face that seemingly is asking me when he's confronted :... "hey,.. where did all the freakin' chickens go ?. This chicken coop is almost almost empty now and not like it used to be "....... Ya, right, Mr. Fox,.. where did they all go indeed.

Right on BRASS. If they left they would out of business in a few years. People want to see all the corps not just a few. I wonder what profit the TOC brought in last year as part of the overall revenue as part of the $600k.

I don't mean to speak for Liahona, but I think the bad taste he was referring to was from the actions of the G7 and their TREATMENT of Boston in all of this, so you guys are probably on the same page. :smile:/>

Thanks Craiga...that is exactly what I meant :smile:

For my money also, there is nothing wrong with a Finals that would look like that!

For my money, it would suck. Sorry, I like those corps as well, but finals w/out Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavaliers, SCV, Crown, etc. would be really lacking (unless, of course, all of the current Top 6 corps tanked and were replaced by those corps mentioned who performed better). I don't agree with those corps attempting to break from DCI (if that's the case), and their "we're better than everyone else" attitude, while possibly true, does sting. But to say that we would have a better Finals w/out their participation is either blind disloyalty or naivety

• Like 2

I think if Boston were consistently competitively successful, and had the kind of draw that most of the other G7 corps enjoy, they would be in the fold as well.

Regardless, who cares? Boston will entertain fans on their own DCI tour, and we won't be without their participation this year

• Like 1

I think if Boston were consistently competitively successful, and had the kind of draw that most of the other G7 corps enjoy, they would be in the fold as well.

Regardless, who cares? Boston will entertain fans on their own DCI tour, and we won't be without their participation this year

I just have to ask as your comment puzzles me...What do you consider "consistently competitively successful"?

• Like 1

I just have to ask as your comment puzzles me...What do you consider "consistently competitively successful"?

I would ask the same thing..perhaps I may of some assistance, Liahona...

Boston Crusaders:

Let's see...

Top 12 for 13 years in a row.....more than at least one of the G7

Two 5th place finishes, one 6th place finish, 2 7th place finishes, 3 8th place finishes during this period

Final placement over one G7 corps in 2009 and another one in 2012

Various caption scores frequently in the top 6 range

CONSISTENT, reliable, competent management throughout this period

Outreach to the local community through Mass Bay Music festivals, a series of Spring jazz festivals provided for New England high school programs, now in its 4th year and exploding in popularity every year

A HUGE fan base (tshirt sales do not lie)

A HUGE alumni pool

A highly successful and supportive alumni/senior corps..the ONLY WC corps with such a group

73 years of continuous operation...by the way, longevity FAR in excess of all but one of the G7~

Yes Liahona, I can see where someone might think that Boston isn't consistently successful.... :doh:

• Like 6