Boston Crusaders not in TOC shows?

afd

Compared to the rest of G7, Boston is not competitively successful. Period. They have had some good years, and IMO are consistently in the hunt for, say, a 7th or 8th place spot. But very few people outside of BAC loyal fan base would consider them a consistent contender for Top 6, let alone Top 3 or something. Yes, they have been around for over 70 years in one sense or another, and they have proven that they are indeed scrappers who have staying power. But compared to a corps that, say, has been around not as long as BAC but is a perennial Top 5 finisher (and one where finishing 5th would be a disappointment): or a corps that is constantly Top 3, where not medaling is a "bad year." Or a corps that hasn't had a finalist run as long as BAC but constantly wins brass and has been in the hunt for a Championship a few times lately (and has won an Open Class Championship).

When BAC places 8th, it's a great year that its fans (rightfully) celebrate.

When any of the G7 place 8th it is a huge disappointing year because that is not their standard. BAC is a great corps, and I do have huge respect for them. I've really enjoyed their shows the last couple of years, and I do wish them success. But to say that they are in the same class as even Cavaliers (whom BAC beat at Finals last season) historically just isn't true for most drum corps folks: even Bluecoats, who have placed outside of 6th just three times in the last decade (while BAC has placed in Top 6 just ONCE in that time, and only placed top 7 three times) are typically far more competitive than Boston.

Are you an accountant ?

it's a bad thing because 7 corps want to place themselves above the rest, and drain the insititution that helped make most of them what they currently are. Really, if you look at the G7, only two of them have real what you call successful history pre-DCI...Cadets and Cavies. And let's be honest, those two were not real powers in the first decade of DCI.

are thsoe G7corps usually towards the top of the scores? well some have been for years, some only recently. But the plan, to eliminate things like OC, which feeds many of those corps bodies, andthe naked power/money grab well.....it doesn't sit well with people.

Especially since some of those corps doing the grabbing are the ones begging for money to cover their spending year in and year out.

here's way to look at it....it's like the big corporations that came to the government begging for bailouts. How many of them have actually gotten around to doing better business? Few. But their CEO's got their bonuses

Very informative post Jeff..... You hit on a few subjects that gave not been discussed. Th OC thing (a case in point) Without aquiring all of the free agent 21 years olds from other corps, the top 7 would be rolling the dice like everyone else. Of course that is the whole premise of this power move is to insure this does not happen.

That's a pretty awesome story! If this is all correct, than major kudos to BAC's director for standing firm on his principles!! :thumbup:/>

Just a guess, But I would not be surprised if the Cavaliers are not that much into the so called G-7 or Music in Motion position. Their history as an organization all the way back to the Chicago Cavaliers does not support this kind of power brokkerage.

• Like 1

Very informative post Jeff..... You hit on a few subjects that gave not been discussed. Th OC thing (a case in point) Without aquiring all of the free agent 21 years olds from other corps, the top 7 would be rolling the dice like everyone else. Of course that is the whole premise of this power move is to insure this does not happen.

well, what it does is it allows them to pick from the very top fo the top. fewer corps, means more bodies to come to their auditions. Sure, they won't all make it, but you can geta couple of camp fees out of them before you cut them.

if you think some corps don't do this already, you're ( not you specifically, the general you) naive

Then why are the Cavaliers participating in G-7 shows?

my hunch is two things:

1) Warren doesn't run the corps day to day.

2) Adolph well....is being nice, hedging his bets, and the board signs off on it.

if there were one member of the 7 I'd say is most likely to bail when push comes to shove, it's Cavies. No, the Old man doesn't run the corps day to day anymore, but DCI is his baby, and he is still the Founder of the corps...and breathing

Compared to the rest of G7, Boston is not competitively successful. Period. They have had some good years, and IMO are consistently in the hunt for, say, a 7th or 8th place spot. But very few people outside of BAC loyal fan base would consider them a consistent contender for Top 6, let alone Top 3 or something. Yes, they have been around for over 70 years in one sense or another, and they have proven that they are indeed scrappers who have staying power. But compared to a corps that, say, has been around not as long as BAC but is a perennial Top 5 finisher (and one where finishing 5th would be a disappointment): or a corps that is constantly Top 3, where not medaling is a "bad year." Or a corps that hasn't had a finalist run as long as BAC but constantly wins brass and has been in the hunt for a Championship a few times lately (and has won an Open Class Championship).

When BAC places 8th, it's a great year that its fans (rightfully) celebrate.

When any of the G7 place 8th it is a huge disappointing year because that is not their standard. BAC is a great corps, and I do have huge respect for them. I've really enjoyed their shows the last couple of years, and I do wish them success. But to say that they are in the same class as even Cavaliers (whom BAC beat at Finals last season) historically just isn't true for most drum corps folks: even Bluecoats, who have placed outside of 6th just three times in the last decade (while BAC has placed in Top 6 just ONCE in that time, and only placed top 7 three times) are typically far more competitive than Boston.

Really? If one of the great seven is considered tanking by placing eighth or ninth in DCI then the G7 are in for a big surprise if they split off from DCI!!! You do realize that if the G7 split into just a seven corps field one of those corps will place LAST, as in LAST PLACE, within their glorious contests.

if there were one member of the 7 I'd say is most likely to bail when push comes to shove, it's Cavies. No, the Old man doesn't run the corps day to day anymore, but DCI is his baby, and he is still the Founder of the corps

I agree.