Cadets 2013 Show announcement

Yeah, Liquid was loosely based on Equus by Eric Whitacre. The closer was "inspired" by Medea.

Mike

Thanks Mike; you know after being on here for so long, years start to run together. I knew that SOMETHING from 2005 was "based" upon Medea but I wasn't sure which part of their show was...

I think this 2013 show is good. To me it's reeks of "SCV played one of our shows, we're going to borrow some stuff from them this year"....

I wish that the Cadets would pick some new stuff from Barber; frankly, I think that most kids into the marching arts get their music appreciation from corps. Let's find some new classics.

I keep seeing so many wonderful suggested reps from people on here and I'm really surprised that no director has used them instead of redoing other music already done by corps.

Frankly, The Cadets would rock of "Of Sailors and Whales" by W. Francis McBeth. He's an American composer, which the Cadets are famous for performing works from.... He died about a year ago, which the Cadets have honored recently passed composers before ( with a Bernstein Celebration . The piece is proven in the MB world, and it would totally fit the Cadets... The Cadets would completely master this pieces and break new DCI ground. It would be new to drum corps people and be a great GREAT show. So, while the Barber stuff is good, I'd be happier with some McBeth for next year.

Yes, I know, I'm being picky.... Come on Hoppy, make the Cadets ZAG again! The Barber pieces you've chosen have been done already in DCI. Do some McBeth... Honor a recently passed composer and give the fans something that is both new AND a drum corps classic in the making... Check out Westerville South 1991: Of Sailors and Whales by W. Francis McBeth to see 1/10th of what the Cadets could do with that show music....

From a purely business perspective it's important to not have your corps disappear for 8 months.

People who don't want to know anything should merely avoid the information. But withholding information is not the best marketing strategy for an organization looking to grow and get MORE people interested.

If you look at high profile movies nowadays (like the Hobbit) they have detailed behind the scenes production blogs created by the director which generate a lot of interest.

I don't think that the personal benefits of going into a show "cold" out weigh the benefits of a corps constantly engaging their fan base and having a media presence that can then be translated into a monetary presence.

Seems like even people who admit to enjoying shows without any previous information (like yourself) still enjoy the behind the scenes look ;) and the good thing is that even if BD did this kind of information in the off season then it wouldn't have to ruin your enjoyment of not knowing anything about the BD production since you could just ignore it.

Maybe if you could demonstrate how BD suffered from a business perspective, that would make sense. But they do not seem to be suffering from any perspective.

Nothing against engaging fans throughout the year, especially if it translates to revenue. But how does it translate to revenue?

Maybe if you could demonstrate how BD suffered from a business perspective, that would make sense. But they do not seem to be suffering from any perspective.

Nothing against engaging fans throughout the year, especially if it translates to revenue. But how does it translate to revenue?

Uh no... I don't need to... Where did I talk about BD suffering?!

Just because BD doesn't announce a show doesn't mean they don't have a presence in the off season. They have many business ventures that keep them successful in the off season.

And how can marketing your corps ALL year NOT lead to increased donations and souvie sales? Seems obvious to me.

Where's the argument? Are you against corps from promoting themselves? There is no downside to constantly promoting yourself. Even BD can find new ways to do so and I doubt it would hurt their bottom line! lol

Edited by charlie1223

Frankly, The Cadets would rock of "Of Sailors and Whales" by W. Francis McBeth. He's an American composer, which the Cadets are famous for performing works from....

LOVE that piece. I've always thought that Regiment would be the corps to do that justice, after, of course, they do my Regiment-mandatory show of Janacek's "Sinfonietta". :smile:

And how can marketing your corps ALL year NOT lead to increased donations and souvie sales? Seems obvious to me.

Where's the argument? Are you against corps from promoting themselves? There is no downside to constantly promoting yourself. Even BD can find new ways to do so and I doubt it would hurt their bottom line! lol

Some people might be turned off by too much promotion. They might start treating it like spam or junk mail and ignoring it, or worse yet, it could affect their perception of the corps in a negative way. I do not believe the conventional wisdom that any publicity is good publicity.

If it translates to revenue, though, that is a definite plus. But these pre-season design process blogs are not pay-per-view. You are assuming an indirect boost in souvenir sales will result from this year-round fan engagement. Do sales support that theory? Have Cadets increased sales noticeably since blogging? Do other comparable corps that lack this type of outreach sell just as well, or not?

Sorry if these questions seem annoying, but I think they need answers before we suggest other corps adopt the same approach.

Some people might be turned off by too much promotion. They might start treating it like spam or junk mail and ignoring it, or worse yet, it could affect their perception of the corps in a negative way. I do not believe the conventional wisdom that any publicity is good publicity.

If it translates to revenue, though, that is a definite plus. But these pre-season design process blogs are not pay-per-view. You are assuming an indirect boost in souvenir sales will result from this year-round fan engagement. Do sales support that theory? Have Cadets increased sales noticeably since blogging? Do other comparable corps that lack this type of outreach sell just as well, or not?

Sorry if these questions seem annoying, but I think they need answers before we suggest other corps adopt the same approach.

It seems like you just want to argue and disagree with me for the sake of arguing...

But...

If you feel that giving people FREE information about what the corps is up to in the off season is a bad idea that hurts the bottom line I don't think we'll ever be on the same page. Are you even a fan a drum corps? Who would be offended by the act of sharing information (not offended by content of the information itself) if you are "turned off" by articles about members, corps status, show announcements and blogs then you may choose to not donate and "turn it off" yourself.

The logical position would be to encourage corps to be present in the off season. People who don't care don't donate people who do MAY and that's it.

And regardless if these efforts generate a noticeable increase it keeps drumcorps accessible all year long. Ask Pepsi if they would like to stop advertising for 8 months of the year to curb people's negative thoughts about their brand. It just doesn't happen I think your concerns are invalid with the state of drum corps being what it is (and for that matter the state of the world, advertisement, information and the Internet) if you want proof that advertising and brand recognition etc. is important just look around you!

Out of sight out of mind...

Edited by charlie1223

It seems like you just want to argue and disagree with me for the sake of arguing...

But...

If you feel that giving people FREE information about what the corps is up to in the off season is a bad idea that hurts the bottom line I don't think we'll ever be on the same page. Are you even a fan a drum corps? Who would be offended by the act of sharing information (not offended by content of the information itself) if you are "turned off" by articles about members, corps status, show announcements and blogs then you may choose to not donate and "turn it off" yourself.

The logical position would be to encourage corps to be present in the off season. People who don't care don't donate people who do MAY and that's it.

And regardless if these efforts generate a noticeable increase it keeps drumcorps accessible all year long. Ask Pepsi if they would like to stop advertising for 8 months of the year to curb people's negative thoughts about their brand. It just doesn't happen I think your concerns are invalid with the state of drum corps being what it is (and for that matter the state of the world, advertisement, information and the Internet) if you want proof that advertising and brand recognition etc. is important just look around you!

Out of sight out of mind...

While we are dropping cliches, how about "different strokes for different folks".

Since my post seems to have confused you, allow me to clarify:

Yes, I am a fan of drum corps, but not just one corps. I am a fan of all corps.

No, I do not believe that free information is generally a bad thing. It is a question of degrees. I receive news from a number of corps via email. Some only send a message when they want money, which might be 2-5 times a year. Some only send a message when they have significant news, maybe 5 times a year. Some send a monthly newsletter, plus 1 or 2 special messages per year. One particular organization sends me several hundred emails each year, so that nearly every day there is a lengthy, graphic-intensive message from them even if it is an exact copy of the one they just sent me two days ago. I no longer read their messages.

If that communication style works for them, then great. If the Cadets style of blogging about design development works for their fans, great. If you insist that either of those approaches are best for every other corps, we will just have to agree to disagree.

While we are dropping cliches, how about "different strokes for different folks".

Since my post seems to have confused you, allow me to clarify:

Yes, I am a fan of drum corps, but not just one corps. I am a fan of all corps.

No, I do not believe that free information is generally a bad thing. It is a question of degrees. I receive news from a number of corps via email. Some only send a message when they want money, which might be 2-5 times a year. Some only send a message when they have significant news, maybe 5 times a year. Some send a monthly newsletter, plus 1 or 2 special messages per year. One particular organization sends me several hundred emails each year, so that nearly every day there is a lengthy, graphic-intensive message from them even if it is an exact copy of the one they just sent me two days ago. I no longer read their messages.

If that communication style works for them, then great. If the Cadets style of blogging about design development works for their fans, great. If you insist that either of those approaches are best for every other corps, we will just have to agree to disagree.

Which corps do you think is more effective than cadets? Do you think that the corps that only emails you, their fan, when they want money is the MOST effective way to get you to hand over money?

You were arguing that a corps purposefully offer no communication. The degrees of openness can be argued but establishing a link with your consumers (no matter what that looks like) is vital.

If you don't want to receive emails from the cadets you can happily send those to the spam folder. No harm or foul. If you think less of the cadets for providing you with info that isn't about asking for money and you feel this outreach of generally substantive material turns you off, don't engage in it. The positives of there approach certainly outweighs the negative and I can't see how you can fault a non-profit for going above and beyond to share information about their causes.

I think that other corps that do less, while it may "work" for them are missing a lot of opportunities to strengthen their brand and interact with their fans.

What the Cadets are doing is nothing but positive even if to you they send too many emails. (Which is a rediculous reason to question the whole validity of their approach)

What's best for every corps is to have a presence and/or a steady income stream. I don't think it's a matter if of agreeing to disagree, some corps can do a lot more to reach out abd help promote the activity and their corps. Doing nothing or purposefully doing nothing does not help raise money or educate.

Were not talking about show announcements were talking about everything. I don't think corps should copy what Cadets do but they should have ther own marketing and PR campaigns.

Edited by charlie1223

You were arguing that a corps purposefully offer no communication.

I have no idea where you got that impression.

My comments were prompted by your assertion that blogging about design choices in November should be part of the fan outreach for every other corps, not just the Cadets. I merely suggest that each corps is better off choosing their flavor of fan outreach for themselves. But that is just my opinion, and opinions are like DNA - we each have our own, and I cannot change yours to match mine.

What the Cadets are doing is nothing but positive even if to you they send too many emails. (Which is a rediculous reason to question the whole validity of their approach)

I did not say which corps was sending me too many emails.

And the only reason I "questioned the validity of their approach" was because you spoke so firmly in favor of it, I thought you might have information that substantiates the validity of their approach. If there is a direct and reproducible link between blogging about design choices and cash for corps, then other corps should be made aware.