Cadets 2013 Show announcement

Some people might be turned off by too much promotion...

Sad to say that in the over-sensitive world of drum corps and DCP it might well be true that some would be turned off by too much information. However, decisions like these shouldn't turn on everyone. Everyone is too high a threshold for anyone.

No matter, I agree with Charlie that silence in this era is stupid. Communication today is cheap and easy. Silence is a void. It's an opportunity lost. Engage.

HH

Edited by glory

No matter, I agree with Charlie that silence in this era is stupid. Communication today is cheap and easy. Silence is a void. It's an opportunity lost. Engage.

Okay, then. Might I suggest that they engage the fans concerning Music in Motion, Inc., and the special show series featuring seven corps? As a fan of all these corps, I would like to know what show format we might see in 2013 for these events. I would also like to know about the business model pros and cons (pay for corps, cost for sponsors, prices for fans).

And as a fan of the other corps not involved, I am curious about what direction these events and the Music in Motion, Inc. venture is taking. What is their vision for the future? How will this project affect corps that are not part of it? Will the Music in Motion, Inc. corps leave DCI, or participate in both?

Thank you both, glory and charlie1223, for your wisdom. You have convinced me.

• Like 1

I have no idea where you got that impression.

My comments were prompted by your assertion that blogging about design choices in November should be part of the fan outreach for every other corps, not just the Cadets. I merely suggest that each corps is better off choosing their flavor of fan outreach for themselves. But that is just my opinion, and opinions are like DNA - we each have our own, and I cannot change yours to match mine.

I did not say which corps was sending me too many emails.

And the only reason I "questioned the validity of their approach" was because you spoke so firmly in favor of it, I thought you might have information that substantiates the validity of their approach. If there is a direct and reproducible link between blogging about design choices and cash for corps, then other corps should be made aware.

So you agree that corps should reach out. They just have to decide which way is best for them. LACK of information or reaching out is not a smart option.

Okay do I specifically have information that breaking down show designs in December increases money... No. Do I know that marketing works? Do I know that engaging your consumers all year round works? Do I know that staying silent doesn't help your bottom line? Yes and I don't think that's such a stretch in the business/non profit world.

Edited by charlie1223

Okay, then. Might I suggest that they engage the fans concerning Music in Motion, Inc., and the special show series featuring seven corps? As a fan of all these corps, I would like to know what show format we might see in 2013 for these events. I would also like to know about the business model pros and cons (pay for corps, cost for sponsors, prices for fans).

And as a fan of the other corps not involved, I am curious about what direction these events and the Music in Motion, Inc. venture is taking. What is their vision for the future? How will this project affect corps that are not part of it? Will the Music in Motion, Inc. corps leave DCI, or participate in both?

Thank you both, glory and charlie1223, for your wisdom. You have convinced me.

Now those are legitimate questions.

No, I do not believe that free information is generally a bad thing. It is a question of degrees. I receive news from a number of corps via email. Some only send a message when they want money, which might be 2-5 times a year. Some only send a message when they have significant news, maybe 5 times a year. Some send a monthly newsletter, plus 1 or 2 special messages per year. One particular organization sends me several hundred emails each year, so that nearly every day there is a lengthy, graphic-intensive message from them even if it is an exact copy of the one they just sent me two days ago. I no longer read their messages.

Exactly so. Similarly I contributed to a political candidate early in the fall, and subsequently found myself getting an average of three e-mails a day from the campaign, most of them only minor variations on the same message, with a different subject line. I didn't want to relegate the campaign's messages to my junk mailbox, because I did want to receive genuine updates. Presumably the campaign found that their technique actually worked on average, but doubtless I wasn't the only one to find it most annoying. The same would be true of excessive drum corps messaging.

One particular organization sends me several hundred emails each year, so that nearly every day there is a lengthy, graphic-intensive message from them even if it is an exact copy of the one they just sent me two days ago. I no longer read their messages.

Same. My gmail even preemptively started marking them as spam.

Communications is not something done well by any corps, really.

... One particular organization sends me several hundred emails each year, so that nearly every day there is a lengthy, graphic-intensive message from them even if it is an exact copy of the one they just sent me two days ago. I no longer read their messages.

How exactly did they *get* your email address? Perhaps... you gave it to them?

And if you don't want to receive them, perhaps you could -- I don't know -- UNSUBSCRIBE from the list?doh.gif

Edited by corpsband

How exactly did they *get* your email address? Perhaps... you gave it to them?

And if you don't want to receive them, perhaps you could -- I don't know -- UNSUBSCRIBE from the list?doh.gif

Again, I think the idea is that at least some drum corps fans like to be informed but not spammed.