If you had the ability to change one rule in DCI

Obviously there have been many controversial things over the years. Some have worked well, others have not. But for most people, there will be one, or two things that really stand out. So if you were at the annual meeting, and had the ability to get one thing changed, what would it be?

There have been many changes I personally haven't liked over the years. But if I had the ability to change one thing, it would be prerecorded voice sampling. Whether it be a member of the corps, or a studio recording of some sort, I really wish they would not allow it. I personally don't enjoy singing or talking during a show, but to have it prerecorded is worse in my opinion. I know DCI is almost copying BOA in this aspect. I have seen several band shows online, where there is prerecorded talking through almost the entire show.

I can deal with almost anything else, but really wish prerecorded crud would go away.

Which rule would you like to change? There have probably been over 200 rules implemented in DCI in the last 40 years.

• Like 1

No amplification. Or failing that no synthesizers. Or failing that only corps members controlling the volume.

But really, no amplification. Pre-2004 pits sounded just fine, really they did.

But I'd compromise on a small penalty for each microphone used. Say half a tenth.

(I have a friend who holds a much more extreme position: he doesn't think there should be a pit: put the march back in the marching ensembles. From time to time, a purist feeling overcomes me and I agree. The compromise position there would be a small deduction for every person who spends at least 50% of the show in the pit. Crazy talk! But see how much more reasonable it makes my primary complaint.)

• Like 3

I'd tweak the A&E stuff to really take corps to task that have their electronics fail/crackle/pop/too loud.

Rationale: if you're going to tick a corps for a horn or drum section that's too loud/not playing/not effective, then you need to do that across the board.

e.g.: Shows that rely heavily on A&E as a layering or effect mechanism will have to carefully consider using that as a crutch.

After all, if you only got about half of your total GE score one night because the microphones and/or electronic equipment at a regional didn't work . . .well, you might make your choices a little more towards the "we could use the color guard/brass phrasing here instead" rather than "let's just use some quote or electronic beep-boop here for effect".

Despite what we've been told, I don't think failures of the amplified variety are given the equivalency of blown attacks/poor writing/etc. by the judging community.

I'll go with the "Lose the Electronics" crowd. It just isn't necessary and I've yet to see any single corps do anything with electronics that actually made their individual show better. In most cases anything they try is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

• Like 2

I wouldn't take away amps, modern pits would have to change completely if they were no longer amped. At the ToC event at East Rutherford when all the amps were switched off the pits could only be heard when the brass & Percussion were not playing.

In my day in the pit we just hit the fecker (vibe, marimba, cymbal etc.) as hard as we could to be heard in the box but those days are gone. Modern pits are much better musicians and deal in texture & touch which I love, something I wouldn't want to them to ever abandon.

I agree 100% with Bawker, the electronics should be marked accordingly... including electronic failures & to much thunderous goo.

I also agree that any kind of voice over should be performed by a member of the corps live during every show.... and marked accordingly. If Madison could sing as amazing as they did then other corps can do the same.

I'd keep the keyboards because personally I think a piano can sound amazing during a show.

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB
  • Like 2

You know, I think that I would probably go with the pre recorded stuff. I have no problem with electronics or amplification in general, but I feel that it all needs to be live performer generated. In other words if it is prerecorded or sampled (voice overs, pre recorded music or sounds) I would do away with it. I think it opens up too big of a Pandora's Box of potential problems down the road.

Dan

• Like 3

While the anti-electronics preferences were expected on DCP, I nonethess think y'all are missing a big opportunity here. So here goes.

Every corps has to play itself off the field (or be penalized a thousand tics in every subcaption). Not a retreat but rather as the next corps is placing all its junk and plugging everything in, the brass or drums or both come to the sideline to serenade the stands just for fun. Just for the glory of it.

HH

• Like 2