If you had the ability to change one rule in DCI

Corps must submit financial statements each year in order to be eligible to compete.

Financial statements must demonstrate that either:

A) Corps must demonstrate they plan to spend no more than 75% of revenues

B) If corps is spending more than 75% of revenues... any amount over 75% may not contribute to program costs, but may only go toward expanding or diversifying revenue streams

• Like 2

Corps must submit financial statements each year in order to be eligible to compete.

Financial statements must demonstrate that either:

A) Corps must demonstrate they plan to spend no more than 75% of revenues

B) If corps is spending more than 75% of revenues... any amount over 75% may not contribute to program costs, but may only go toward expanding or diversifying revenue streams

This would certainly mean the corps were in great shape, but I think it's not reasonable; by way of comparison, in the world of not-for-profit theatre, it's a rare organization whose revenue exceeds expense by even 10%!

okay I'm joking, but in all seriousness, as an animal lover I would probably have a rule where one live animal should be incorporated into every show. The largest and most exotic animal gets its own caption award.

Just remember birds don't fly at night......

s/guy who still has nightmares from his old corps at 1980 DCA.... :ph34r: .

A couple of years ago, I would have been all for removing amplification.

Now I'm not sure. If Phantom 2010 didn't have it, I don't think I would have appreciated what I heard coming out of the pit as much. Phantom isn't the only group to use as an example - there are others.

Just when I'm about to add that other electronics should be removed instead, I start to think about Bluecoats 2005 and how much I love listening to that show - voicing included.

• Like 1

Obviously there have been many controversial things over the years. Some have worked well, others have not. But for most people, there will be one, or two things that really stand out. So if you were at the annual meeting, and had the ability to get one thing changed, what would it be?

There have been many changes I personally haven't liked over the years. But if I had the ability to change one thing, it would be prerecorded voice sampling. Whether it be a member of the corps, or a studio recording of some sort, I really wish they would not allow it. I personally don't enjoy singing or talking during a show, but to have it prerecorded is worse in my opinion. I know DCI is almost copying BOA in this aspect. I have seen several band shows online, where there is prerecorded talking through almost the entire show.

I can deal with almost anything else, but really wish prerecorded crud would go away.

Which rule would you like to change? There have probably been over 200 rules implemented in DCI in the last 40 years.

For the most part, I agree with you on the voice-overs. I'm not a fan either. If you're interested in voice/talking/singing that's pretty effective, check out Carolina Crown, 2004, Bohemia. I ran into that on the FanNetwork. I thought it was pretty well done.

• Like 1

...Say DCI said that if a certain number of tickets are sold (lets say 25,000? would that be a pretty awesome attendance for Lucas Oil Finals?) for DCI WC Finals, ticket holders Finals night would have the choice of a few options that would be deemed illegal for the 2014 DCI season. We can put the choices at

1) no electronics, only mic'ed acoustic instruments,

2) electronics are legal but no pre-sampled/recorded elements

3) woodwinds are legal

4) no changes to 2014 rules

* DCI could use this as a "fundraiser" ...

I love this idea. It's yet another reason why I hope to sit next to perc2100 at a show someday!

I would put one qualifier on the suggestion: It needs a (sort of) quorum. A majority or two-thirds or some similar substantial threshold must participate in the vote to make it valid. That would mitigate the natural momentum where those most motivated for change are most likely to seek it. In other words, a minority shouldn't dictate the outcome just because they're the only ones who bothered.

HH

• Like 1

i have long wanted a pre-season clearinghouse for musical selections. Once a corps signs up that they're doing a specific piece of music, no other drum corps can perform the same piece of music that season.

Brings me back to 1979 - 8 separate corps played "Children of Sanchez."

This would certainly mean the corps were in great shape, but I think it's not reasonable; by way of comparison, in the world of not-for-profit theatre, it's a rare organization whose revenue exceeds expense by even 10%!

.... which could be why many fold ;-)

• Like 1