If you had the ability to change one rule in DCI

DCI is run by an independent BOD, with only one seat granted to the representative speaking for the corps.

The CEO actually has power to implement the Board's directives in the way he deems best.

A mandatory 20% of revenues is retained by DCI specifically to dedicate towards pro-growth initiatives.

DCI is run by an independent BOD, with only one seat granted to the representative speaking for the corps.

The CEO actually has power to implement the Board's directives in the way he deems best.

A mandatory 20% of revenues is retained by DCI specifically to dedicate towards pro-growth initiatives.

hey, Hey, HEY!!!! That's THREE separate things, and the title says only ONE!!

Allow me to attempt to format into one single vision (to adhere to the guidelines) with a tiny additional thought:

DCI is run by an independent BOD with only one seat granted to the representative speaking for the corps' with the CEO actually having power to implement the Board's directives in a way (the CEO) deems best with a mandatory 20% of revenues retained by DCI to dedicate towards pro-growth initiatives; all unplugged.

I'd change the age limit. I got another tour or two in me still.

Good point. This was narrowly defeated at rules committee a few years back. I'd be in favor of raising the age limit to 22 - not simply the current bonus year if your birthday is lucky enough to fall just right during the calendar year. However, I say that from the perspective from some of the higher placing corps. For many of those corps that have many college-age members, the 22 age limit would seem like a natural. However, the foundation of the activity has to be open-class corps (at least it should be). I think the age limit for open class is fine the way it is. Overall, I do see the benefit of a little tweek in the age limit.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

No electronics, including amplification. Pit amplification has ruined the balance and it takes too much of the performance out of the hands of the members. Voice amplification ruined many a show for me in its heyday. Now electronics are doing the same. Sampled audio is the worst, but overly loud bass, goofy sound effects, atmospheric effects, the temptation to cheat by doubling horn parts, the apparent inability to allow any silence to creep into the show, the terrible terrible patches, and the extremely low skill-to-aural-dominance ratio are all major negatives to the quality of drum corps performances today. Not to mention the expense of the added equipment and staff required to compete with electronics.

And not to mention the shows that have been dropped from video recordings and streaming because of sampling copyright violations. Banning electronics doesn't solve this issue, but it's a start.

I was going to go with what bawker said, but after further review, drop it all. No electronics including amplification which is much more of a drawback than asset in dome shows anyway. But bawker's right: if you absolutely have to allow it for creative or youth-appeal reasons (which I don't buy anyway), then you need to tic the hell out of it when it's done with thunderous goo or epic fail. Live by the amp, die by the amp.

Rules change: 1 and 1A for me.

1) No "synth enhancement."

1A) no miked soloists... unless the miking is done to produce a specific altered effect.

I'd change the rule where idiots are allowed to scream during the soft parts during the "Big Boys" shows, especially during finals, and not get ejected from the stadium. I think they are trying to get immortalized on the drum corps recordings so they can tell their drum corps friends "hey that's me screaming during Cadets solo."

I would change the rule so the idiots can be hunted down and identified, then get banned for life.

• Like 3

Obviously there have been many controversial things over the years. Some have worked well, others have not. But for most people, there will be one, or two things that really stand out. So if you were at the annual meeting, and had the ability to get one thing changed, what would it be?

There have been many changes I personally haven't liked over the years. But if I had the ability to change one thing, it would be prerecorded voice sampling. Whether it be a member of the corps, or a studio recording of some sort, I really wish they would not allow it. I personally don't enjoy singing or talking during a show, but to have it prerecorded is worse in my opinion. I know DCI is almost copying BOA in this aspect. I have seen several band shows online, where there is prerecorded talking through almost the entire show.

I can deal with almost anything else, but really wish prerecorded crud would go away.

Which rule would you like to change? There have probably been over 200 rules implemented in DCI in the last 40 years.

Simple for me....remove amplification (with that we deep six amped vocals, electronic effects, electric pianos, amplified pits...basically...back to acoustic drum corps)

Edited by Triple Forte