Why Aren't Crowd Reactions Like They Used to be?

It's not surprising the crowd is indisputably quieter -- it's the boring drill:

31644138.jpg

you mean repetitive holds

:tongue:/>

now....are reactions dead? No.

Are they perhaps more muted or not as many big appluse moments as the past?

Yeah. See my post in thebeginning of the thread as to why.

Note, in that post, I didn't say it was bad or good. Just stating the biggest cause

You mean, once again people are taking THEIR personal opinion and somehow asserting that it's the general consensus?

ON DCP?!?!?!

:tongue:/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>

Yes... crowds are not as engaged with the shows as in years past. I do believe that this is a verifiable fact. Unless you disagree with George Hopkins, Michael Cesario, Dennis Delucia, Steve Rondinaro, and many others long time observers that have acknowledged the same thing as well. I do believe that among many long Drum Corps observers (that were around in the 70's and 80's, and are still fans of the activity today,) that this is an indeniable fact. Now... no doubt there are people that were NOT in the audience in the 70's and 80's, that tend to doubt this loss of fan response and energy from the audiences, and they are entitled to that opinion. But frankly, they really wern't present in the various eras to make an informed obsevation comparing the audience reactions to shows.

Go to Fan Network, if you have it. Go to 1995, Madison Scouts, and fast forward to the closer. Listen to the audience response. This performance did not finish in the top 3 ( finished 4th ). Now go play the DCI standard bearer for excellence in current DCI, the Blue Devils , and play their closer from the last 2 years on Fan Network both years, and now compare with your own hearing and sight what you observed there compared with the 4th place finishing DCI Corps from 17 years ago.

Edited by BRASSO

Yes... crowds are not as engaged with the shows as in years past. I do believe that this is a verifiable fact. Unless you disagree with George Hopkins, Michael Cesario, Dennis Delucia, Steve Rondinaro, and many others long time observers that have acknowledged the same thing as well. I do believe that among many long Drum Corps observers (that were around in the 70's and 80's, and are still fans of the activity today,) that this is an indeniable fact. Now... no doubt there are people that were NOT in the audience in the 70's and 80's, that tend to doubt this loss of fan response and energy from the audiences, and they are entitled to that opinion. But frankly, they really wern't present in the various eras to make an informed obsevation comparing the audience reactions to shows.

Go to Fan Network, if you have it. Go to 1995, Madison Scouts, and fast forward to the closer. Listen to the audience response. This performance did not finish in the top 3 ( finished 4th ). Now go play the DCI standard bearer for excellence in current DCI, the Blue Devils , and play their closer from the last 2 years on Fan Network both years, and now compare with your own hearing and sight what you observed there compared with the 4th place finishing DCI Corps from 17 years ago.

31656856.jpg

• Like 1

31656856.jpg

'Still looks WAY more dapper however than the tiny tin foil hat, imo :

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attachments/elections/14922d1203442021-obama-illegals-share-same-message-n522306244_197290_3718.jpg

Edited by BRASSO

Maybe lots of fans are just jaded now by the shows, because it is so different than it was in the 70s and 80s. Back then, it was normal to hear a bunch of show tunes, and pop songs fill a show. Now, if the Top 6 came out and said they were doing a 70s style show, I'm honestly not sure if they'd get the same kind of members. I know I joined drum corps to expand my mind and learn about many new kinds of music. If I wanted to do a show based on pop tunes, I can do college marching band. Now most of what we see is symphonic or orchestral works, with a bit of movie or Broadway music mixed in.

And because so many fans have been around for so long, maybe they feel like they've seen everything drum corps can show them, so they don't get as excited anymore. Me, I've only been around since 2003, so I still find tons to get excited by in every show. There is always something in every show to make you clap and cheer, sometimes you just have to look for it, instead of having it handed to you on a silver platter.

Arguably one of the most popular and crowd favorite shows of this past season was Jersey Surf's "Bridgemania" so I don't buy this.

Just sit near a corps staff (any) during their corps' show, they'll key you in when to applaud-as they all do, and rather vocally, even when the rest of the crowd is sitting on their hands. And, IMHO, Madison are still the masters at getting people out of their seats.

Just listening to shows past, and crowd reactions are just so much more energetic and emotional than those of today's shows. What's with that?

I mean - clearly, it's because drum corps was better back then (whenever you're talking about... 2009? 2001? 1998? 1995? "shows past" could mean anything).

Clearly drum corps sucks, no one attends shows anymore, asymmetric drill is dumb, voiceovers shouldn't be allowed, everyone hates it, we want G bugles, show design sucks, nobody likes anything, Lucas Oil is horrible for Finals, tickets are too expensive, there are 150 kids on the field instead of 128, shows are inside and not outside, vertical valves are stupid, the pit is overamplified, screw the G7, soloists shouldn't be mic'ed, college music majors don't play loud enough, and Star should have won in 1993.

Is that what you wanted someone to come on and say?

:rolleyes:/>

Edited by Lead
  • Like 2

Either that, or it was the thumbtacks that someone stuck on the seats before you sat down.

:tongue:/>

HA; DCI staff put infamous film director William Castle's "Percepto Vision" gimmick in effect, as seen in his film TINGLER. Whenever a big moment in a show occurs that "needs" crowd reaction/standing ovations DCI presses a button that goes to rigs on the bottom of the seats that shocks the audience and forces them to jump up :tongue:

(yes: me = movie nerd)

• Like 1

Seems it could be a cultural phenomenon, I've noticed this at marching band shows also.

I also agree design and flow of the shows force the standing moment to the end of the show.

I don't think we do anything about it. I think its just par for the course.

Young girls used to lose bladder control at Rolling Stones concerts just from sheer excitement. I think public reaction to things have changed considerably.

Is it possible that our YouTube fixation has caused many of us to become desensitized to public performance?