Why Aren't Crowd Reactions Like They Used to be?

Answer me this; Madonna three night shows in NY; Metropolitan Opera three night shows in NY. Which will bring in way more audience as well as way more ticket sales?

is the Met showing skin and being marketed to teeny boppers?

:blink:/> ... go to extremes much?

Mike

that was mild for him

:tongue:/>

Wrong-o; this is quite simple and can also be observed in the 'real' world as fact: Your idea of high level quality product appealing to a massive number of ticket buying people will not, and cannot, work. Lower the art form and tons of people will be interested in selling out 100,000 + seat sports arenas (ie Madonna and her bare breasts); Raise the art form and very few people, in comparison to Madonna and her breasts, will be interested enough to fill a few thousand seat concert hall (ie Wagner's Ring Cycle at the Metropolitan Opera). And for you to stoop to the 'let's take it outside slugger' idea, well that is what happens when ya start losing the argument :satisfied:/>

But don't we want to build a younger crowd than Madonnas age group. :devil:

s/ guy who IS in that age group :sad:

I think today's shows get more applause on the visual side, but shows of the 70s/80s really musically more exciting. Today's arrangements are more difficult, but the selections are not always familiar to the listeners. I remember hearing "Let it Be Me" played by the 1980 Spirit of Atlanta...the place would go bonkers. Mostly because of the power and emotion of the song. If the music is familiar, I believe the crowds would be even more vocal.

There have been some extremely entertaining shows for me over the past decade. But there just isn't room for applause and throwing babies like there was in the past. Shows are written to flow. Sometimes never to stop. Actually one of the bigger problems with Cadets 06, was that the show had almost zero applause points written in. That is just one example. You don't get that in your face drum break with an obvious ending to it anymore. Drum breaks often seamlessly fit right into a production and don't stand out like they used to. You don't see stuff like Phantom 93, random example. Distinct breaks in the show for audience applause. Huge visual a music GE moment with the brass wedge crabbing across the field with a sweet 360 at the end of the move and the final push of the song. Movements blend right into each other. You usually never see a drum major cut off and stop conducting. It's a cut off and then a conducted silence. Can't ruin the pacing of the show. Even if the crowd is still going nuts. We are also trying to cram SO MUCH into shows these days. You have to see a show 10 times before you appreciate it.

I really agree with this. It all goes to a trend to right the shows for the judges and not the audience.

Almost very form of entertainment, whether it's film, theater, or even music, writes in natural "beats" and climaxes in which the audience can be left to ponder what they've just seen. Some of these moments, if they are live performances, can engender applause from the audience. If they are sad or provocative moments, they can just prompt silence or tears. This pacing is essential to the effectiveness of the artform to move us.

Yes, there is experimental forms of all these media that don't follow those rules and are just trying to do something cerebral. I think of the movie "Tree of Life" as I write that. That film was full of gorgeous imagery, weird pacing and editing, and moments like deaths that should have had an emotional connection. But, it left me cold.

The is a place in all artforms for the cerebral, I suppose. But, I see too much of modern drum corps going for that instead of an emotional or visceral connection with the audience. In the past, most drum corps shows still had audience visceral response in mind when they did their shows.

(Warning: about to say something very controversial and many will not agree with it.)

Also, there is something about the sheer perfection of the performances, particularly during the later parts of seasons, that comes off as a bit sterile. Even the parts where corps are supposedly letting lose and jamming come off as scripted and rehearsed rather than impromptu and loose. If the performers come off more as robots rather than human beings, it takes a little bit of the fun out of it.

I really agree with this. It all goes to a trend to right the shows for the judges and not the audience.

Almost very form of entertainment, whether it's film, theater, or even music, writes in natural "beats" and climaxes in which the audience can be left to ponder what they've just seen. Some of these moments, if they are live performances, can engender applause from the audience. If they are sad or provocative moments, they can just prompt silence or tears. This pacing is essential to the effectiveness of the artform to move us.

Yes, there is experimental forms of all these media that don't follow those rules and are just trying to do something cerebral. I think of the movie "Tree of Life" as I write that. That film was full of gorgeous imagery, weird pacing and editing, and moments like deaths that should have had an emotional connection. But, it left me cold.

The is a place in all artforms for the cerebral, I suppose. But, I see too much of modern drum corps going for that instead of an emotional or visceral connection with the audience. In the past, most drum corps shows still had audience visceral response in mind when they did their shows.

(Warning: about to say something very controversial and many will not agree with it.)

Also, there is something about the sheer perfection of the performances, particularly during the later parts of seasons, that comes off as a bit sterile. Even the parts where corps are supposedly letting lose and jamming come off as scripted and rehearsed rather than impromptu and loose. If the performers come off more as robots rather than human beings, it takes a little bit of the fun out of it.

yes, yes yes! ($1 to Daniel Bryan, $2 if you know who he is).

All of it. too much focus on deep, deep deep...and I know people say "oh we design for the one time viewer too"....horse #### in many cases.

I still think back 5/6 years ago to what I heard cesario say at a clinic and what he said at the Januals...you capturethe same view, just with different words

• Like 1

Double your money if you know his name is Bryan Danielson. :tongue:/>/>

triple it if you saw him fight CM Punk livein ROH

:ph34r:/>