2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

Amplification is not enough financial hardship on the drum corps.

To legally compete, I think every DCA corps should have to purchase a brand new Mercedes equipment truck and have a minimum staff budget of $ 75,000 USD.

well hell, I'd teach again for that

• Like 1

To all 69 pages of this. I would like to add the following.

I just had someone say to me:

"Yeah, we all wanted to win, what corps didn't want that...but nothing could compare to winning over the fans."

AND

"The GE sheets way back when were designed for the right reasons..........including the general public fan, and that's why (I think) we had full stadiums and more corps."

Ask some old Gray haired person from the "Chicago" Cavaliers, or St. Kevin Emerald Knights, or Scout House Preston, and many more.

About "FANS in the Stands" reaction at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ. Here I was in a Top 10 National Contender, from New Jersey. In a Contest. In New Jersey.

Seeing the "Fans in the Stands" (many of whom were in - NO way part of - or connected to - any Corps), 20,000 or more people, Going BIZERK, Crazy, for these mentioned, and more Corps. Many, Many times - More than We Got! ( AND, we being, a National Contender, the Home area Corps if you will. )

• Like 1

2B or not 2B -

I can identify with what you write. In those days, drum corps provided an experience that appealed to most EVERYONE'S basic instincts. There really are such things! Over time, our activity chose to cater to the whims of individuals, rather than nearly everyone else. So . . . . we have been left with a smaller, more restricted audience.

• Like 2

"Yeah, we all wanted to win, what corps didn't want that...but nothing could compare to winning over the fans."

AND

"The GE sheets way back when were designed for the right reasons..........including the general public fan, and that's why (I think) we had full stadiums and more corps."

Ask some old Gray haired person from the "Chicago" Cavaliers, or St. Kevin Emerald Knights, or Scout House Preston, and many more.

About "FANS in the Stands" reaction at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ. Here I was in a Top 10 National Contender, from New Jersey. In a Contest. In New Jersey.

Seeing the "Fans in the Stands" (many of whom were in - NO way part of - or connected to - any Corps), 20,000 or more people, Going BIZERK, Crazy, for these mentioned, and more Corps. Many, Many times - More than We Got! ( AND, we being, a National Contender, the Home area Corps if you will. )

and THAT is exactly what i have been saying! but i'm told that there are many other things to do today. and truthfully i don't by it. you give people something they want to see ....they will come. back then we did play to the stands. and yes the people loved it. and your right about the crowds. there were many shows like that. dream, baltimore, rochester, any A.L. nats, , VFW nats, ny canadian, state championships and on and on.

• Like 2

AND

Only thing that can compare to winning over the fans, is winning over the fans AND winning!

Only thing that can compare to winning over the fans, is winning over the fans AND winning!

Flashing back to a place my dad and I ate at last night: Friendly service, clean attractive inside, prices kinda of OK, food looked really good on the plate...

... then we started eating.....

...and the food was really bland......

Then we stared talking about where (else) we would eat next time......

IOW - striving for excellence is one thing but don't forget the people paying the bills....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Drum corps has become more "artsy" in my opinion. I think that is why we have lost fans over the years. Personally, I enjoy watching a show 3-4 times before I fully understand it and catch everything there is to see, but that might just be me. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy shows from the 80s and such too.

Drum corps has gotten too complex for some people. More shows like Scouts 2010 need to happen to get older fans back but these artsy/storyline shows need to keep happening to draw in younger fans since thats what they know.

• Like 1