2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

I figured that. I still do.

What about that? Cru is gone, yes. Skyliners too. Sunrisers are alive and improving, however. Rebels, as in Yankee Rebels? That is going back 30 years. Sun Devils are returning to the field next year. As for Empire, they are not dying, just leaving to do something different. So what does that prove?

I could name corps that have folded, or corps that have started up. I could point to the fact that DCA, unlike any other drum corps circuit on this continent, has grown over the past 20 years. Sure, there are issues. We have had a nasty economy for the past four years. On top of that, there is too much focus on the big event on Labor Day weekend, instead of developing a stronger foundation regionally. But from my vantage point, I do not see the all-age movement being on the verge of ruin. Is there more to this that I do not know about?

I love you platonically man.

i geuss i don't see why you don't want to explore other avenues. jeff something has to be done. and i believe it needs to be a big radical change. maybe phased in or some time but man this as an outdoor activity is on the way out. unless you want to watch a really small corps in a stadium. make the field even smaller? i don't think so. and what about all the corps that will be giving up in the next few years? i haven't seen any suggestions from you. just arguments about not doing this or that. give us some ides. your a smart guy jeff. help us out.

Don,

Did I say not explore? No. I asked serious questions to show why this may be something to go towards. Because...this could actually make it worse instead of better. I guess you don't see where I say that.

Now..DCA has lost corps, my old team included. But, I look back to DCA weekend 20 years ago....13 corps man. 13.

now we're at least in the low 20's, and we have others that do stuff, but do not come east.

Personally, I'm not totally sold arena drum corps is the way to go. I've #####ed long and hard about making it just like marching band, and stats have shown me to be right...drum corpshasn't really grown in terms of fan base. Do you think making it WGI with horns will?

I don't.

Rochester is poor decision and a poor venue. It was good to see DCA actually on a football field. Everything gets boring after years of repetition.

Amps = Thanks goodness. To all the "seasoned" fans - your bias and dated outlook will only kill a sad 11-13 open class corps circuit.

Can we please get some opinions from people under 35? Anymore stories about the 70's and the way it's used to be is worthless. Start a new thread called, "old stories only 3 people care about". The bottom line, you old die hards will be involved with drum corps as a fan one way or another. Like all of us, it's in your blood. I dread the day woodwinds will be incorporated, but I bet it happens to DCI within 5 years. I will still be watching a production on a football field with musical instruments and color guard. It'll just be a new way to tell the story. Let go. See the light, the idea that the powers that be are looking at a fan base and membership base that is getting too old to support DCA moving forward.

sorry, I'm 43. guess I'm too old

While there have been many opinions on this thread - mostly about amps in the pit... little has been said about the MAJOR decision on positioning of judges - all judges have been removed from the competition field... This is something that is MUCH needed and has been a long time coming - further... it's another change that puts DCA ahead of DCI in this aspect.

my communication with you has ended. i will respond to others on this thread but not you. you have dissed everyone that disagrees with you and the older generation. have a good life brother.

you're both rightand both wrong.

DCA needs the older fans. But it needs newer fans. Don, love ya man, but trotting out corps dead for 30 years means nothing now. Those corps died for other reason in a different world.

The problem Don is this...getting kids....old school drum corps won't work. Now there are some old school approaches, both on and off the field that could help all generations. What is really needed is a kick ### PR campaign.

Why do I say this?

I will say it again. The annapolis area, and actually, the DE/MD/VA region is STOCKED with marching bands that do at least 3 circuits. I'm tied to one of them. I saw not one shred of marketing done our way. Look you won't get walk up casual fans to go to finals at todays prices. In fact, the only local show thatmarkets to that type of crowd is Barnum, and they have massive underwriting behind it.

While there have been many opinions on this thread - mostly about amps in the pit... little has been said about the MAJOR decision on positioning of judges - all judges have been removed from the competition field... This is something that is MUCH needed and has been a long time coming - further... it's another change that puts DCA ahead of DCI in this aspect.

Forgive me for not reading all 43 pages, but I remember someone saying early on that they would like to see a full list of rule changes from the 2012 Rules Congress. That IS big, but I had no idea it happened.

you're both rightand both wrong.

DCA needs the older fans. But it needs newer fans. Don, love ya man, but trotting out corps dead for 30 years means nothing now. Those corps died for other reason in a different world.

The problem Don is this...getting kids....old school drum corps won't work. Now there are some old school approaches, both on and off the field that could help all generations. What is really needed is a kick ### PR campaign.

Why do I say this?

I will say it again. The annapolis area, and actually, the DE/MD/VA region is STOCKED with marching bands that do at least 3 circuits. I'm tied to one of them. I saw not one shred of marketing done our way. Look you won't get walk up casual fans to go to finals at todays prices. In fact, the only local show thatmarkets to that type of crowd is Barnum, and they have massive underwriting behind it.

point taken jeff. well said.

• Like 1

ok old freind of mine...............explain to me how this helps all the problems being brought up and all of our concerns............like crowd attendance. c'mon open up that big old brain and help us out. be the voice of reason.

look fred is trying to help.

you want proof of what he say? cru, sky, sun, rebels, sundevils, and how about EMPIRE? that's your proof.

# 2 is a great way to start maybe.

True, but Empire is not competing anymore because either the people there don't want to run a competitive drum corps, or they think they will make more $ and reach more of a mass audience than DCA.