2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

Jeff,

I value your contribution to this discussion, and thank you for putting a real name behind your thoughts. There's a better answer out there, to continue what has always meant so much to us. We just need to develop it, before it's too late. Cracks are forming.

smile.gif

There's a better answer out there, to continue what has always meant so much to us. We just need to develop it, before it's too late. Cracks are forming.

Okay, now you are starting to sound like George Hopkins.

We get it - you want arena drum corps, and you are willing to repeat that over and over and over until you get it. Nothing wrong with that, by the way. What is wrong, though, is:

- when one resorts to fearmongering to demand change

- the insistence that some existing, successful entity be dragged off mission and morphed into what one wants

I asked earlier if you had looked into SDCA, and you have not answered that question yet - but you did find time to ratchet up the rhetoric concerning the impending doom of DCA. Ordinarily, I would ask for evidence of the coming armageddon before discussing a fundamental transformation of the activity. But you seem like a well intentioned guy with a reputation to match.

So let us assume that you are correct, and arena drum corps is needed to save the all-age drum corps movement. Which of these two options do you think has the better chance of happening?

1. Convince DCA to become Drum Corps Arena, and force all of their field corps to transform to indoor performances, smaller groups, etc.

2. Develop an arena circuit (maybe SDCA, maybe something new), so that individual corps can choose to move from DCA to the arena circuit when their own membership and/or leadership wants to change to that format.

At the rate a drum corps circuit embraces change, I think it will be much slower going if you choose option #1. If you are correct, it would be too slow to save many corps.

George Hopkins? Who's that, and why would he be more relevant than either one of us? smile.gif

Here's the deal. My time has passed. I will NOT be leading the charge in any one direction, or another. I do appreciate places like DCP where I can express my views. Views that don't need anyone's approval. not yours, not George's. Just views, freely offered.

There is NO question, our activity continues to face challenges. We meet challenges with new ideas. This is a place to express new ideas. If drum corps goes blank in the next hour, I'll be just fine. Not happy, just fine.

Edited by Fred Windish

We get it - you want arena drum corps, and you are willing to repeat that over and over and over until you get it. Nothing wrong with that, by the way. What is wrong, though, is:

If you think Fred is resorting to "fear-mongering"... then it's obvious you don't know him very well, if at all.

Fred doesn't do fear-mongering. Not his style at all.

- the insistence that some existing, successful entity be dragged off mission and morphed into what one wants

I asked earlier if you had looked into SDCA, and you have not answered that question yet - but you did find time to ratchet up the rhetoric concerning the impending doom of DCA. Ordinarily, I would ask for evidence of the coming armageddon before discussing a fundamental transformation of the activity. But you seem like a well intentioned guy with a reputation to match.

So let us assume that you are correct, and arena drum corps is needed to save the all-age drum corps movement. Which of these two options do you think has the better chance of happening?

1. Convince DCA to become Drum Corps Arena, and force all of their field corps to transform to indoor performances, smaller groups, etc.

2. Develop an arena circuit (maybe SDCA, maybe something new), so that individual corps can choose to move from DCA to the arena circuit when their own membership and/or leadership wants to change to that format.

At the rate a drum corps circuit embraces change, I think it will be much slower going if you choose option #1. If you are correct, it would be too slow to save many corps.

look fred is trying to help.

you want proof of what he say? cru, sky, sun, rebels, sundevils, and how about EMPIRE? that's your proof.

# 2 is a great way to start maybe.

George Hopkins? Who's that, and why would he be more relevant than either one of us? smile.gif

Here's the deal. My time has passed. I will NOT be leading the charge in any one direction, or another. I do appreciate places like DCP where I can express my views. Views that don't need anyone's approval. not yours, not George's. Just views, freely offered.

There is NO question, our activity continues to face challenges. We meet challenges with new ideas. This is a place to express new ideas. If drum corps goes blank in the next hour, I'll be just fine. Not happy, just fine.

fred just ignore the other guy said. you are on the right track. it's to bad there are people out there that are in denial. the writing is on the wall. and if people cant see it then they are like an ostrich.

keep up the brainstorming.

Jeff,

I value your contribution to this discussion, and thank you for putting a real name behind your thoughts. There's a better answer out there, to continue what has always meant so much to us. We just need to develop it, before it's too late. Cracks are forming.

smile.gif

Fred,

Cracks are becoming crevices. I'm not saying the idea doesn't have merit. I'm asking where is the stats that back up this is the way to go?

Jeff, there are no stats, just hope. Hope for something that might work better in this day and age. I want to encourage others to express specific changes that might work. We gain nothing if our purpose for coming here is to beat each other over the head.