2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

That's a good thing. They all (Bucs included) should make bigger deal out of that fact.

Agreed... Didn't really notice the average age of some of the corps until someone mentioned the "bunch of kids" in the corps I refered too at a standstill. Look on their face was close to total shock which (later) my wife and I thought that it was sad that this was shocking.

And was afraid to ask what age is considered a "kid" in an Alumni type.....

Yep, this is true. Alumni corps will be the first to die out, and rightly so, simply because they refuse to change and cater to a younger membership (never mind audience). They've been playing to nothing but themselves for some time, and it's only going to get worse.

The young people who *might* be interested in joining an alumni corps are turned off because they don't want to trot out "It's a Grand Old Flag" and "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White" for the nine thousandth time, and the powers that be won't cater to their needs.

There is one exception that proves the rule...the Reading Buccaneers Alumni. They have been playing a nice mix of recent "hits" with the older stuff. And, surprise...they have some younger members as a result.

i disagree. they will die out because it was the people from the 70's & 80's that just wanted to do a show every now and then. and they wanted to play what they liked. and at the time that was good. now the ones that care about alumni are getting older and can't march. so their demise is coming. they did what they did for their era not the youngsters. and yes they played to themselves. and they liked it. you really got in the weeds here.

i disagree. they will die out because it was the people from the 70's & 80's that just wanted to do a show every now and then. and they wanted to play what they liked. and at the time that was good. now the ones that care about alumni are getting older and can't march. so their demise is coming. they did what they did for their era not the youngsters. and yes they played to themselves. and they liked it. you really got in the weeds here.

And what happens next (IMO) is how the corps BoD wants to handle the future. If they want to continue on as they have and membership is happy with that it's the corps business. With the understanding that things will wind down until they go under for lack of members or whatever. If a corps BoD wants to try to continue and does so by changing things to entice new people that's their business also. IMO two ways of looking at the same problem.

Edit: A few years back the corps I'm thinking of asked their members what would they like or what do they think would help the corps long term health/survival (forget the term used). Irony was more than a few said "please less parade type music... it's getting stale to play".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I guess it must be pretty disheartening to the folks - young and old - who are just now getting in to the Alumi movement to hear that their efforts will be short lived and in vain... :huh2:

Reilly is making a push to get younger members. Bridgemen have formed a relationship with Jersey Surf. Cabs Alumni made a nice move last year having "The Prayer" which helped win them DCA's in 2003 as part of their show.

Sorry Don, but there are alumni out there who are playing for the fans and not just themselves.

• Like 1

Reilly is making a push to get younger members. Bridgemen have formed a relationship with Jersey Surf. Cabs Alumni made a nice move last year having "The Prayer" which helped win them DCA's in 2003 as part of their show.

I've heard that Reilly is making changes to be less "back in the 50s" (sorry that's the term I heard) but STILL haven't gotten a chance to watch the DVD. And was in the concourse during their show at Annapolis.

Hell still haven't seen the DVD with the group I'm thinking of..... :rock:

Yeah, gotta be a way (article in DCW mebbe) about the youth move in some Alumni types.. Still that's only a handful of what's out there... :sad:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Jim, that would be nice. Instead it seems like the pictures focus on the guy rolling in on a wheelchair and things. (I'm not saying that if you are still marching and need that you are too old. I KNOW how people like to twist things here somedays. All the props in the world if you want to still be doing that at that point in your life. You'll find me on a beach at that point.) How about a picture and article from these shows that show younger involvement? So that if someone is on the fence they realize it would be just them in a room with a bunch of "old timers". And hopefully it would be during winter/early spring stuff and not wait until DCA next Septemeber because by then, it would get a body or bodies in a corps for this season.....

Jim, that would be nice. Instead it seems like the pictures focus on the guy rolling in on a wheelchair and things. (I'm not saying that if you are still marching and need that you are too old. I KNOW how people like to twist things here somedays. All the props in the world if you want to still be doing that at that point in your life. You'll find me on a beach at that point.) How about a picture and article from these shows that show younger involvement? So that if someone is on the fence they realize it would be just them in a room with a bunch of "old timers". And hopefully it would be during winter/early spring stuff and not wait until DCA next Septemeber because by then, it would get a body or bodies in a corps for this season.....

Was thinking before you posted how hard it is to pick out a younger person in some of those unis. Cadet type top plus a shako and all you can see is chin to eyebrows and for the clean shaven types you'd need an extreme close up and Blu-Ray to tell age. Then for poor bastichs like me all you see is grey/white beard which makes me look ready for Social Secuity.....

Something to mull over and hoping to make my first practice in a year in 9 days..... hmmmmm.....

Sorry Don, but there are alumni out there who are playing for the fans and not just themselves.

good points on the corps you referenced,..........but Kamarag threw the bomb, not Don,.........

But it was Don who made it sound like the alumni corps don't care about whether they survive or not because they are happy with what it is they are doing. I don't think that is the case. I actually think John had very valid points.

• Like 1