2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

The difference of opinions re: bands vs corps may be a matter of ambiguous definitions. With the exception of woodwinds, what do people see as the differences between bands and corps? How have those characteristics changed or not changed over the years?

Style of playing have gotten closer over the decades. DC used to go more for the power of what the horns could do and now it's more of a finesse style. IOW used to go for the emotions of the fans with that power and now it's more of trying to impress the fans with the talent in using the finesse.

Also (big one IMO) when corps went to the show package instead of playing different songs it made DC appear more like the MB style. I didn't follow corps when that change was made and it was a huge difference when I came back.

If they were doing the old-style dca shows some people around here long for, I wouldn't be interested nor would I attend.

Actually I would. Go back and listen to some old Bush shows. 90 - 94 especially.

Plus, hearing 'old-school' drum corps - I actually get more goosebumps listening to that than hearing many other shows that are being done today.

• Like 3

Talented and entertaining OUTSELLS talented and profound every time. Always has, always will.

(chew on this)

Totally agree.

Talented and entertaining OUTSELLS talented and profound every time. Always has, always will.

(chew on this)

so you kinda stole my thunder and shortened it.

the key is entertaining. sorry, but todays "concepts" are too ###### deep and ambiguous.

• Like 2

(chew on this)

Just don't take my line of "I go to be entertained, not impressed (by the talent level)".

Someone once responded that I was somewhat of a knuckle dragger with that attitude.

My response "Yeah knuckle dragger with a Computer Science degree"..... :cool:/>

Edited by JimF-LowBari

so you kinda stole my thunder and shortened it.

the key is entertaining. sorry, but todays "concepts" are too ###### deep and ambiguous.

i agree jeff. and therein lies some of the problem. and now i ask how do you solve it ?

i agree jeff. and therein lies some of the problem. and now i ask how do you solve it ?

well..in terms of concept and themes, some shows in DCA nailed it last year in ways anyone could get:

Bucs with the black, Empire, Kidsgrove, Hurcs, MBI, Fusion, always the Govies.....shows anyone could get, and the musical arrangements were ones you could follow. The few that had character acting seemed to work. Now some, IMO, Empire, may have had too much and it may have worked against them...but hey they tried.

mike your wrong. you need to check out some old videos. it was never MARCHING BANDS. you just showed your ignorance.

Show design has nothing to do with it. I've been in and around drum corps since 1964, so I have seen plenty of old-style shows. It's a phony conceit to think that drum corps are not marching bands.

• Like 2

Actually I would. Go back and listen to some old Bush shows. 90 - 94 especially.

Plus, hearing 'old-school' drum corps - I actually get more goosebumps listening to that than hearing many other shows that are being done today.

thats because current design trends have been geared more to the sheets than to the stands. luckily, both DCI and DCA have tweaked the sheets to make it more performance based...now the judges have to react accordingly. i think DA has the lead so far