2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

John... Buccs Alum aren't the only ones who changed over the last few years and gotten younger members as a result.

Hanover Lancers are definitely on that list.

I'm pretty sure the only reason the Caballeros Alumni continue to play "Cherry Pink" (and they don't play it every year) is because a whole bunch of fans request that they do so. "Back by popular demand."

Nothing wrong with playing what the audience wants to hear.

Edited by Fran Haring

The young people who *might* be interested in joining an alumni corps are turned off because they don't want to trot out "It's a Grand Old Flag" and "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White" for the nine thousandth time, and the powers that be won't cater to their needs.

Then so be it, if what you are saying is that those alumni cops should not be playing signature songs the audience wants to hear, year in and year out, simply because some members, or would-be members, of a corps don't like playing those songs.

Honestly, I think it's clear from the audience reaction that the fans really do like to hear the Cabs Alumni play "Cherry Pink" and Cha-Cha-Cha Flamenco" every year... that's why the corps plays those tunes.

Edited by Fran Haring

I do believe that DCA as we know it will be gone in 5 or less years. It will be, only in some form as part of DCI.

Maybe like this: 3 Divisons. DCI could be "CBI" - "Corps Band International". (what it is really NOW anyway)

---------------------------------------------

1 - World Class Elite - The G7/G8 types of today. (or maybe the Top 12 "Scoring Groups" of WCE & WC from Championships)

2 - World Class Open - The rest of the present WC. Maybe add the, Top 5 DCI Open Class of today & A Few DCA Open Class of today.

3 - DCI Weekends Only - Everyone else. Also they would be allowed to compete "WITH" (but not separtely judged), WC Open when possible at shows. No matter what Day a show is.

---------------------------------------------

But in whatever they do, (once the rest of A&E are added), DCA Will Be GONE. Why have have it when the only difference in what is done other than Age (and remember you CAN march a FULL season at age 22 in DCI NOW) allowed, and day of week a show is held.

AND, to all you people that keep saying: "Don't come, stay home". Carefull what you ask for. Gray hair or not. A PAYING ticket, a "Fan in the Stands" is better, than winning an argument. Not for Great Growth of things you want. You will find there are NOT enough: Moms, Dads, Brothers, Sisters, and Music Majors, to fill the stands. YOU need Outside those, to fill stands. (and they want to be Entertained not just impressed)

I Do NOT mean this as a HIT on DCI. I just feel that what is done Now is a NEW Product. Yes I think what they do is Great if that is what the people want. You have the Talent, Quality, and Power, to do whatever you want. But be Honest, and Include the word BAND. That (band) is NOT a bad word, But it is a more Honest one as to what you are.

• Like 1

Ditto what Don said.... I especially agree with your thoughts on sustaining field competition. Costs just getting worse in money and time to do corps, including the time needed to travel as members are living farther and farther from their corps.

the princess nails it,..............I look at it this way,...........an all-age open class corps with a 175K total budget that gets is maybe 10 contests including prelims and finals means it costs about $17,000.00 per adjudication,............. that is a lot,............. compare that to a DCI corps with a 1 million dollar budget and about 25 contests = $40,000.00 per read,...........or with a 45 day tour schdule, that is $22,000.00 per day.................the big differences in the models is a given,........

although I will say that if it is corps/band/whatever,.......the national touring circuit model is just not sustainable, in any form,...........

the princess nails it,..............I look at it this way,...........an all-age open class corps with a 175K total budget that gets is maybe 10 contests including prelims and finals means it costs about $17,000.00 per adjudication,............. that is a lot,............. compare that to a DCI corps with a 1 million dollar budget and about 25 contests = $40,000.00 per read,...........or with a 45 day tour schdule, that is $22,000.00 per day.................the big differences in the models is a given,........

although I will say that if it is corps/band/whatever,.......the national touring circuit model is just not sustainable, in any form,...........

gary your pretty close. i know that last year empire did not go to lewisburg because it would have cost david $10,000 to go. he couldn't get that kind of money, although he tried, so they didn't go. this is one reason they are pulling the competitive corps after this year. it's just gtting expensive. cab,s sun , reading , hurcs can pretty much stay in their own back yards. but nobody else can. and really reading only does 6-8 shows a year.

Obviously, I agree. I put out the idea of moving this form of entertainment indoors with ensembles that are smaller. Most posters were uncomfortable even discussing something different. I do understand, but a new model is needed, and probably soon. Let's all keep an open mind on this dilemma.

Then so be it, if what you are saying is that those alumni cops should not be playing signature songs the audience wants to hear, year in and year out, simply because some members, or would-be members, of a corps don't like playing those songs.

Honestly, I think it's clear from the audience reaction that the fans really do like to hear the Cabs Alumni play "Cherry Pink" and Cha-Cha-Cha Flamenco" every year... that's why the corps plays those tunes.

What audience? The small crowd that shows up for the Sunday morning alumni show (and what's the average age of that anyway?), or the ones that are only there because it's a competitive show with DCA competing corps? Sure, those folks enjoy an exhibition or two, but don't kid yourself...aside from Cabs Alumni (a very special case), the only one that's in any way a real draw is Bridgemen, a corps catering to at least some younger folks.

Look, I get it. Alumni corps are beloved...by the folks in them, and a few hard-cores. But that's not nearly enough to sustain them as a facet of the activity. And they aren't exactly filling the DCA coffers when they do perform (again, with Cabs and Bridgemen being special cases).

And when those corps are gone, who's going to be left to fill up DCA shows?

Obviously, I agree. I put out the idea of moving this form of entertainment indoors with ensembles that are smaller. Most posters were uncomfortable even discussing something different. I do understand, but a new model is needed, and probably soon. Let's all keep an open mind on this dilemma.

I do think there's a lot of merit and promise in an indoor-based brass/drums activity, but not quite like you suggested. Do it in a gym, indoor guard/percussion style and you may be on to something. The possibilities are endless creatively when you consider brass, percussion, electronics, and even woodwinds. Though I'm sure the anti-evolution crowd will whine a million ways about how woodwinds and electronics would ruin it (regardless of the fact that it barely exists).

Just went out for dinner with my 79 year old dad who hasn't followed corps since his kids went way back when. Talked about what's left of drum corps since when he watched and the big surprise for him is any corps are still around. He's surprised enough people have/make the spare time to do corps and after a bit added expenses as another reason. Then got on the subject about lack of any bands in local parades which added thoughts in another direction. Ended by talking about what corps and shows are still left around here and it just got sad....

Sometimes you get a fresh perspective by talking to people who aren't as emotionally attached.....

Thank you for your thoughts, John. I don't believe a gym will cut it. Most only have 1000-1500 seats per side, maybe less. It would be difficult to generate enough revenue from a crowd that small to cover the cost of busing in the performers. Gyms that have 4,000-6,000 per side are sometimes arenas, with hockey size floor space. In any case, what we have to offer needs to be a spectacle equal to comparable acts already out there. Yes, that will require lighting effects and other aspects we don't present now. I contend, limiting the product to brass, percussion, and color guard is adequate. I see no need to add in woodwinds, guitars, etc.

Edited by Fred Windish