Blue Knights 2013

I think the idea is that within any structure lies a circle... Notice in the drill lots of block formations/maneuvers that still have circular movement... Just my read maybe not what the corps intended

• Like 1

OK, time for some chatter about BK folks!! What do you think?

I think they have a really great show and am dying to see the ending. I keep watching the Stanford video on Fan Network and love the show more and more each time. And I'm seeing something new each time. There really are a lot of very clever ways that they incorporate circles into the drill and moving between drill sets, etc. This last viewing, I noticed that they do a drill form of the dots in the triangle shape (like on their uniforms) at one point (when the girls have the long silk dress/flags on).

And I love the audio clip that starts the show - who is she? She has the perfect voice to set the tone for the show. I just hope they already have the rights to that for the finals video because it would be a real shame to not hear that start to the show.

It's fresh, it's fan friendly, and it fit BK well!!! Go BK!!

• Like 2

OK, time for some chatter about BK folks!! What do you think?

I think they have a really great show and am dying to see the ending. I keep watching the Stanford video on Fan Network and love the show more and more each time. And I'm seeing something new each time. There really are a lot of very clever ways that they incorporate circles into the drill and moving between drill sets, etc. This last viewing, I noticed that they do a drill form of the dots in the triangle shape (like on their uniforms) at one point (when the girls have the long silk dress/flags on).

And I love the audio clip that starts the show - who is she? She has the perfect voice to set the tone for the show. I just hope they already have the rights to that for the finals video because it would be a real shame to not hear that start to the show.

It's fresh, it's fan friendly, and it fit BK well!!! Go BK!!

I cant wait for the ending either, might have to wait for DATR for that.

My thoughts, i hope next year they start their show differently. The last 3 years (2011-2013) the show has started the same. Corps off to the side intro begins, whether its a snare or pit, the corps then fills the field. Its neat but i want a new entrance next year.

Beyond that, i dont mind the narration i just feel it goes a bit long. I am glad they dknt hse it during the show. I wonder if they will finjsh with it, like in 2011.

Visually its great! I like that BK is becoming a great corps to watch visually. Musically its not bad, as said before im excited to hear the ending.

I hear the end is way cool and as one of my former students said... A doozy... Gonna be fun!

• 2 weeks later...

So the BK official announcement says "the music of Clyde Otis, Jay Bocook and Pat Metheny". Corpsreps.com says "This Bitter Earth by Otis, Clyde; Circle One by Bocook, Jay; First Circle by Metheny, Pat". However, I'm clearly hearing a few seconds of Eight Lines by Steve Reich. On the DATR DVR feed it starts right at 3:34:00 and goes for 12 seconds or so. Compare to the original (minus only the top line of piano to my ear):

That line comes back later in the show as well.

Edited by skywhopper

So the BK official announcement says "the music of Clyde Otis, Jay Bocook and Pat Metheny". Corpsreps.com says "This Bitter Earth by Otis, Clyde; Circle One by Bocook, Jay; First Circle by Metheny, Pat". However, I'm clearly hearing a few seconds of Eight Lines by Steve Reich. On the DATR DVR feed it starts right at 3:34:00 and goes for 12 seconds or so. Compare to the original (minus only the top line of piano to my ear):

That line comes back later in the show as well.

You are correct about Eight Lines.

It's at the end of this video from one of their camps.

On another note, I think they mis-announced "This Bitter Earth". The music they play isn't what was written by Clyde Otis...rather, it is "On The Nature Of Daylight" by Max Richter. The lyrics from "This Bitter Earth", sung by Dinah Washington, were added to the music for the movie, "Shutter Island".

You are correct about Eight Lines.

Cool, thanks! Nice touch to add it in. It took me a few listens before it clicked where I recognized it from. It definitely fits "No Beginning, No End", as the piece just kind of starts and then stops in the middle of its very slow progression of change.

Curious to know who the actual vocalist/narrator is on the opening clip...the voice seems familiar, almost like Nancy Wilson. Could it be?

Overall, quite an enjoyable musical production from BK this year...best of luck!

Curious to know who the actual vocalist/narrator is on the opening clip...the voice seems familiar, almost like Nancy Wilson. Could it be?

Sounds almost like Nichelle Nichols from Star Trek, but that could just be me

Is it not Dinah Washington??