Carolina Crown 2013

I agree as well.

I understand the good intentions of the voting system. Anything that get's people to participate can be viewed as a net positive for a website.

Unfortunately that view is somewhat shortsighted. Many, many complaints here with regard to posts getting red neg'd. And many users abusing the voting system.

A partial fix would be to make votes public (like FB Likes). Then if you arbitrarily vote down a post, there's accountability. If you vote down every post a user makes, the rest of DCP will see it. If you red neg posts that are neutral / informative / positive you'll be called out as a vote troll.

A better fix : scrap the entire idea. I don't think there's a single positive contribution the votes have made. "Veteran" DCP'rs say they ignore them but I've seen everyone of those posters make comments about them (even as they claim to be ignoring them). Novices don't understand that bad posting etiquette will get you a slew of down votes. Trolls can hide anonymously.

If you have an opinion, share it in a post. It's a *discussion* forum. Let's discuss things.

(and this is WAY off topic for the Crown thread so ... back to your regularly scheduled Crown hype !!)

I too dislike the +/- system currently used by DCP. In fact, I find the anonymous negatives quite COWARDLY. If one cannot stand by one's opinion publicly, one has no backbone especially in an activity that supposedly gives so much honor to the tradition of heroes we inherit (honor to our flag, salute protocols, uniforms, and corps traditions.) Our activity deserves better than cowards.

• Like 4

I too dislike the +/- system currently used by DCP. In fact, I find the anonymous negatives quite COWARDLY. If one cannot stand by one's opinion publicly, one has no backbone especially in an activity that supposedly gives so much honor to the tradition of heroes we inherit (honor to our flag, salute protocols, uniforms, and corps traditions.) Our activity deserves better than cowards.

Really?

Calling anyone who's ever used the internet equivalent of a thumbs down a coward??

• Like 4

I agree as well.

I understand the good intentions of the voting system. Anything that get's people to participate can be viewed as a net positive for a website.

Unfortunately that view is somewhat shortsighted. Many, many complaints here with regard to posts getting red neg'd. And many users abusing the voting system.

A partial fix would be to make votes public (like FB Likes). Then if you arbitrarily vote down a post, there's accountability." If you vote down every post a user makes, the rest of DCP will see it. If you red neg posts that are neutral / informative / positive you'll be called out as a vote troll.

A better fix : scrap the entire idea. I don't think there's a single positive contribution the votes have made. "Veteran" DCP'rs say they ignore them but I've seen everyone of those posters make comments about them (even as they claim to be ignoring them). Novices don't understand that bad posting etiquette will get you a slew of down votes. Trolls can hide anonymously.

If you have an opinion, share it in a post. It's a *discussion* forum. Let's discuss things.

(and this is WAY off topic for the Crown thread so ... back to your regularly scheduled Crown hype !!)

"A partial fix would be to make votes public (like FB Likes). Then if you arbitrarily vote down a post, there's accountability."

On Facebook there is only a Like and no Dislike! Facebook would turn into RAMD in about one minute if they were to implement a Dislike option! ........ :music:/>/> :music:/>/>

Edited by nngs9

How about starting a thread solely to the +/- topic and jump back aboard the "Cream Team Train"

Any news from the GW?!?!

• Like 5

Who is this "Cream team" you speak of? :shutup:

• Like 4

... both Einstein on the Beach (which has a 16 member SATB choir) and The Abyss music rely heavily on a vocal choir sound ... should we expect vocals?

There's a lot of Einstein on the Beach that has no vocals. And the choir part is all nonsense syllables anyway--numbers and solfege. No reason those parts need to be vocal. There is a lot of narration, but it's atmospheric and doesn't tell a story or anything. Anyway, you may as well ask if Barber of Seville or Carmen or Les Mis or West Side Story or Turandot would imply the use of vocals. Brass is particularly well suited to replace a multi-part choir. Not saying it won't happen, but ghod, I hope not.

Edit to say, if the members sing EoTB on the field unamplified, I'm cool with it. In fact, that'd be awesome.

Edited by skywhopper

Really? Calling anyone who's ever used the internet equivalent of a thumbs down a coward??

That equivalence only works if we're talking anonymous thumbs. Mailing one's own severed thumb as commentary: cowardly or not?

• Like 3

There's a lot of Einstein on the Beach that has no vocals. And the choir part is all nonsense syllables anyway--numbers and solfege. No reason those parts need to be vocal. There is a lot of narration, but it's atmospheric and doesn't tell a story or anything. Anyway, you may as well ask if Barber of Seville or Carmen or Les Mis or West Side Story or Turandot would imply the use of vocals. Brass is particularly well suited to replace a multi-part choir. Not saying it won't happen, but ghod, I hope not.

Edit to say, if the members sing EoTB on the field unamplified, I'm cool with it. In fact, that'd be awesome.

I will say that if there are vocals, amplified or not, I have complete faith in the design team at Crown. It will be tasteful, appropriate and not overbearing. I know they will do it right. :thumbup:

• Like 3