Carolina Crown 2013

Since is my first summer as a member of DCP, is the atmosphere or mood that we're experiencing now always like this?Are there usually posts about scores, either staying them or dropping. Do other members remind all the fans that there is still 4 weeks to go until Indy?I've noticed from many of the posts on here that at the moment the top three corps are Crown, BD, and Cadets, is it usually like this, predicting the top three? Lastly,what was the view of Crowns show last year compared to this year at the same time?Did most everyone think it was going to be them all the way? Was there a Carolina Crown thread like this one that had over 227,000 views?Boy thats' a lot of questions, but I'm just curious I guess.

Wait, it's not still 2012?

I wouldn't be surprised if Crown didn't win tomorrow night.......both BD and Cadets had two days off to clean while Crown had only one.

Cadets have 3. Off Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday until the show Thursday night

Cadets won in '84 with a 7th place drumline.

different sheets - couldn't happen today

unless Crown can get 4th or above in drums they won't win IMO

My bad on the Bern spelling, lol. So are they just saying 1234 at like...hyperspeed?

Exactly. It's more like Wuntotheefowuntotheefo... :tongue:/>/>/>

The interesting part (for certain values of "interesting") to listen to in the video of Knee 3 posted by KakkoiiOtaku is how the counts change over time. It's the "additive" (or subtractive) process Glass came up with by combining Steve Reich's "Music as a Gradual Process" with styles of music he learned about while studying with Ravi Shankar. The number of repeats is different depending on performance/recording needs, but in the video, they count "1-2-3-4 1-2-3-4" six times over a chord progression, then they change to "1-2-3-4 1-2-3" over the same progression. Then "1-2-3 1-2-3". Then "1-2-3 1-2". Then they pause, change chord progressions and build back up "1-2-3 1-2" up to "1-2-3-4 1-2-3-4". Then they change chords again, and shrink back down, but then back up one. Then they switch to some solfege stuff in a different style (which is hypnotic in an entirely different way -- I love listening to the ess sound as it cascades through different parts of the chorus). Then they go back to the counting. So the additivity is happening at every level--the blobs of counting, the chord progressions counted over, the number of repeats of each element, etc. Each "repeat" is just a little different.

The additive thing can also be heard in the crazy triplet run that starts in the pit then moves to the brass. Crown repeats it three or four times, but it's slightly different each time with additional flurries in the middle of the phrase, or taken out (I haven't analyzed Crown's arrangement). That run is from "Spaceship" in the opera, and it's a little more extensive there (and in the 1993 recording the sax player totally hoses it).

Yes, I have read/thought about/listened to this stuff way too much, thanks for asking.

Edited by skywhopper

HERE.

WE.

GO!!

971350_10151709605177641_227329221_n.jpg

thanks for posting this....I was waiting for it to be put up so I can know when to pick cousin up to watch a bit of the rehearsal.....so excited!!!A 3 and a half hour drive to get up there but it'll be worth it

• Like 1