Most dangerous 2013 DCA corps?

That's the right attitude to have, Dan. Other corps have reported members who returned "home." Again, the Cadets organization offers its members an easier transition, so they'll have a leg up there. That's part of the reason I consider Cadets2 the most "dangerous" corps for the coming year.

• Like 1

Cadets2 would also be on my "dangerous" list. Caballeros, too.

I'll never count MBI out of the title mix. They've proven they can get the job done.

And like VOReason has basically said... it's the Bucs' title until someone takes it away, and that will not be easy to do, at all.

That's the right attitude to have, Dan. Other corps have reported members who returned "home." Again, the Cadets organization offers its members an easier transition, so they'll have a leg up there. That's part of the reason I consider Cadets2 the most "dangerous" corps for the coming year.

Fred, just so everyone understands, C2 isn't the only all age corps out there with direct junior corps ties, both in resources and staff. We'll see how it all plays out this summer I guess. No matter what, it should prove to be an interesting, competative summer.

Dan

• Like 1

C2 would be my answer. Very strong percussion program getting even more talent this year and with the experienced gained from last year. The flux of Cadets at end of DCI season certainly doesnt hurt :thumbup:

I think perhaps we are seeing DCA go down the same road as DCI in that we may see the top 8-10 corps grow stronger and stronger over the next several years and the smaller corps struggle for membership. This has definitely happened in the junior circuit as you see perhaps the top 15 or so continue to progress and grow while the other, more locally based, corps fade into irrelevence. The strong get stronger while the others watch their membership go off to vie for a title. I don't think you see the corps loyalty like you did 20 or so years ago. I think we may be seeing the beginnings of this with the senior circuit as well.

Dan

I'm not so sure, Dan. DCA is not a full time touring model where people devote 100 percent of their time to the endeavor. I think DCA will always be more of a regional corps activity. I don't see a lot of people coming from all over the country to march part time over the summer with a DCA corps. I think it may seem like the strong get stronger because they have a well established program in place that is very hard to build. The barriers to entry for a new drum corps are large and go beyond money but include strong staff and reputation.

I'm not so sure, Dan. DCA is not a full time touring model where people devote 100 percent of their time to the endeavor. I think DCA will always be more of a regional corps activity. I don't see a lot of people coming from all over the country to march part time over the summer with a DCA corps. I think it may seem like the strong get stronger because they have a well established program in place that is very hard to build. The barriers to entry for a new drum corps are large and go beyond money but include strong staff and reputation.

You may be right, in which case it becomes even more important that the method and strategy of recruitment be sound. We must find ways to eliminate the preconceived stereotypes associated with drum corps in the eyes of local music educators. Through seminars, shared resources, inclusion in the education process

and the general attitude of corps members returning to their high school programs, these directors must be encouraged to view drum corps as an assett and ally in the education of their students, rather than the enemy competing for the allegience of the same. This, of course, will take time but it is essential that a consistent, patient approach be adopted if we ever hope to significantly increase interest in the activity among young musicians.

Dan

You may be right, in which case it becomes even more important that the method and strategy of recruitment be sound. We must find ways to eliminate the preconceived stereotypes associated with drum corps in the eyes of local music educators. Through seminars, shared resources, inclusion in the education process

and the general attitude of corps members returning to their high school programs, these directors must be encouraged to view drum corps as an assett and ally in the education of their students, rather than the enemy competing for the allegience of the same. This, of course, will take time but it is essential that a consistent, patient approach be adopted if we ever hope to significantly increase interest in the activity among young musicians.

Dan

This appears to possibly be a challenge of a particular region; not all corps experience these types of challenges.

Many, many corps enjoy the support of area band programs.....as long as membership in a particular corps (whatever corps it may be), from a time standpoint, does not take away from the band program's time. I would suggest embracing the "all age" format, as a whole, is the best balanced approach.

whoever scores highest

The voice of reason. :tongue:

• Like 1