Most dangerous 2013 DCA corps?

First of all saying "maybe we should let EMPIRE win" was just a real stupid statement and as an an alumni I took that as an insult, the EMPIRE STATESMEN has never needed help from anyone to be champion in DCA or anywhere else. This is still Mr.B's drum corps's and his vision of what EMPIRE should be will always make them champion's no matter what the score they get. Second if EMPIRE does leave DCA I really hope that the CABS will still go out and play to the crowd like they always have and at least they will be one "GOOSE BUMP" corps left. If I wanted to watch a "machine" as some of you keep on calling certain corps in DCA than I'll go go to a local factory and watch and save my $50 for a ticket. DCI is shrinking fast and DCA will follow because why now it's not about entertaining the crowd, having a blast playing your show and having people go home excited and looking were the next show is but playing to the judge's. I can remember there being 10,000 people just at prelims and sold out show's at night, but wait a minute I'm a dinosaur from year's past and I'm not in tune with the new drum corps'so my answer to your original question wouldn't matter anyway.

So Reading and MBI don't count as "goosebump" corps? And as for comparing Empire to Cabs? Cabs are sticking around and trying to figure it out....Empire is not. But I will say this...Empire is a whole lot closer in comparison to Cabs than Edge is to Blast.

Edited by VOReason
  • Like 4

What about some Class A love guys ?? tongue.gif

has anyone officially declared?

I love Empire and Cabs. Two of my favorite corps. But they are my favorites because they are so good at what they do and because of their style that has been developed over years. It would be a mistake for everyone to try and be like them and I personally like the diversity we have today in style within DCA. There is no reason why a corps with the style of Empire or Cabs can't win in DCA. If you want to emulate Buc's, then focus on their preparation but I don't think to be DCA Champion you have a show style like Buc's. Like I've said before, if Cabs continue on the trend of the past couple years I really think they have a shot.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "focus on their preparation". THAT is the key. Jim Costello always said "what you do at rehearsal you will do on the field". Preparation - preparation preparation!!!

Edited by LucyGuy66

I think Bush will come back strong and with a vengeance to move back into finals. don't count them out.

• Like 3

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "focus on their preparation". THAT is the key. Jim Costello always said "what you do at rehearsal you will do on the field". Preparation - preparation preparation!!!

The past few years, I've spent lots of time watching the top corps rehearse on show days throughout the summer. I keep getting this itch to march again, and I keep trying to find that "fit". It amazes me the level of concentration and work ethic that Bucs and C2 have as an entire corps during rehearsals. I'm not knocking any other DCA corps at all, and I've never seen MBI rehearse to judge; I'm just saying that these two corps, to me, make the most effective use of their time, and get much accomplished because of how the collective group rehearses. It is the expectation of the entire group, and no section or individual is immune to it.

As for "goosebumps", to each his own, but I get goosebumps from clarity, intonation, balance, difficulty, innovation, and how something moves me on a cerebral level. I like being pushed outside of my comfort zone. I don't care if I can hum the tune on the way out of the stadium. If you think that's your favorite corps, then great. However, how many DCA corps fit all of that bill, truly? That is my way out of naming the few DCA corps that give me goosebumps, so as not to offend the hard-working members of those corps that don't.

/threadjack

On topic- I'd love to see Cabs be dangerous, and I'm guessing that if Fusion got Curt Hawkins to venture to them, there must be "something" there, so I wouldn't be surprised if they make a jump (being "dangerous" doesn't need to mean "win"). Overall, though, I'd put money on C2.

Not sure. I know Fusion declared themselves Open Class pretty late last year (like, late spring if I remember).

Which reminds me, is Gold considering moving on up (cue "The Jeffersons" theme)?

"Fish don't fry in the kitchen,

Beans don't burn on the grill.

Took a whole lotta tryin',

Just to get up that hill.

Now we're up in the big leagues,

Gettin' our turn at bat.

As long as we live, it's you and me baby,

There ain't nothin wrong with that."

The DCA deadline to declare for Class A is June 1st.

We'll let ya know . . . .

-Larry

"]

Larry Harper, Jr.

Executive Director

Carolina Gold Drum & Bugle Corps

Carolina Gold Independent Winter Guard

• Like 1

Not sure. I know Fusion declared themselves Open Class pretty late last year (like, late spring if I remember).

Which reminds me, is Gold considering moving on up (cue "The Jeffersons" theme)?

well they have until June 1