Most dangerous 2013 DCA corps?

So true. If you can't win with what brings the audience out of their seats, sends them home satisfied, then maybe we need to take a hard look at what we are trying to sell.

and some young kid named Wayne Downey was playing solos?

• Like 1

and some young kid named Wayne Downey was playing solos?

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

1969.. a lead soprano line that included Wayne Downey, Frank Dorritie, and John Arietano... among others.

Just a bit of talent there. :tongue:

Renegades

oh....wait.....

Hah.

Cabs and Cadets2 would seem to have the most chance of making a serious run at the Bucs, but I still feel as though the Bucs are so much ahead of the curve that it may still take a couple of years to close the gap. Would be a blast to see Sunrisers going Open Class and making finals...or better! And it IS possible to win with a show design/concept that brings the fans out of their seats and sends them home satisfied. Reading did just that last year! And I, and most drum corps folks I know, expect the best example of marching, musicianship, design and concept, as compared to the modern paradigm of the activity, to win the contest. To be honest, the corps who always entertains me the most is Cabs Alumni, however I would not expect, nor would I leave the contest satisfied, if they were to compete and actually win.

Edited by VOReason
  • Like 2

On the money.

I hope all-age corps never goes to the "oh-so-serious" less-personality route taken by so many DCI corps.

Not a knock on those DCI corps. They are absolutely great at what they do, and I enjoy watching them.

But I would hope that all-age corps have a bit of a different mission.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this whole game is passing me by.

Maybe the days of DCA being the more relaxed, personality-oriented, mainstream, (meaning the "average fan from whatever town" can enjoy most if not all of the shows, as opposed to the "inside marching music" audience) outright crowd-oriented product (by that I mean that corps like Empire Statesmen, Skyliners, etc. can, and have, thrived competitively even though those corps' shows are/were geared for the average fans first, judges second) are going away and will not come back.

I don't know.

Heck... I don't know a lot of things. :tongue:/>

IMO, you are pretty close Fran,..............IOW,Empire is not leaving DCA,..........DCA has left Empire,............

• Like 4

On the money.

I hope all-age corps never goes to the "oh-so-serious" less-personality route taken by so many DCI corps.

Not a knock on those DCI corps. They are absolutely great at what they do, and I enjoy watching them.

But I would hope that all-age corps have a bit of a different mission.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this whole game is passing me by.

Maybe the days of DCA being the more relaxed, personality-oriented, mainstream, (meaning the "average fan from whatever town" can enjoy most if not all of the shows, as opposed to the "inside marching music" audience) outright crowd-oriented product (by that I mean that corps like Empire Statesmen, Skyliners, etc. can, and have, thrived competitively even though those corps' shows are/were geared for the average fans first, judges second) are going away and will not come back.

I don't know.

Heck... I don't know a lot of things. :tongue:/>/>

There's a lot to be said there, Fran! I surely remember the days when there were a LOT of "personalities" in DCA! From Jimmy, George, Alan and Butch, to Pepe, Ritchie Price and Jimmy Centorino! (heck, even Rickie Lee! :blink:/> ) And you can't forget about Sandy from Steel City! (or Fran :devil:/> )

I haven't been that close to the activity lately, but from things I can see on the periphery, it doesn't look like it used to look...a little more on the precision and less on the entertainment part... I fear that corps like Cadets2 will change the scope of the activity, and you'll see the entertainment trend go away...that's sad on this level...

I still think Bucs have the inside tract on all this :thumbup: (no homer-ism there)

Edited by Jaminbenb

Perhaps if we let Empire win, they will stay.

There you go again. ($1 to Ronald Reagan.)

Move along... nothing to see here...

Edited by Fran Haring

i say cadets 2. now that they have a year under their belt and understand DCA and how it works they will put out the right drill and george will rule the roost.

I think perhaps we are seeing DCA go down the same road as DCI in that we may see the top 8-10 corps grow stronger and stronger over the next several years and the smaller corps struggle for membership. This has definitely happened in the junior circuit as you see perhaps the top 15 or so continue to progress and grow while the other, more locally based, corps fade into irrelevence. The strong get stronger while the others watch their membership go off to vie for a title. I don't think you see the corps loyalty like you did 20 or so years ago. I think we may be seeing the beginnings of this with the senior circuit as well.

Of course there are numerous reasons for this. Finances, other activities fighting for the attention of young members, etc. I think that as DCA reaches out for the younger members, as seems to be the case, we may run into these same issues. I know in our case (Atlanta CV) we are actively marketing to the younger set as an introduction to the activity. Let them experience the activity with us, give them a great experience, then wish them well as they go off seeking the glory, if you will, of the junior circuit. We are banking on these people coming back to the CV fold after their junior days are done. So far we are beginning to see the fruits of this thinking as the numbers continue to go up and these people come back to us with their Spirit, Cadets, Phantom and other top junior corps jackets in tow. Time will tell if this is a long term healthy approach, but so far it seems to be paying off.

As always, just my two cents.

Dan

• Like 2