G7 Update

... About 501c3, it is not some magical designation. It has no specific purpose in and of itself and is not really a charitable designation... PGA, for example, is 501c3.

The premise here is advice from Bill Cook in which he maintained that the director of a corps, or DCI, should be a 'Dictator'. Are saying that the CEO of the PGA has complete and total Carte Blanche, is not governed by a Board, and in fact chooses his cronies to sit on the Board just as Bill Cook suggested was the correct way to run a 501c3?

The premise here is advice from Bill Cook in which he maintained that the director of a corps, or DCI, should be a 'Dictator'. Are saying that the CEO of the PGA has complete and total Carte Blanche, is not governed by a Board, and in fact chooses his cronies to sit on the Board just as Bill Cook suggested was the correct way to run a 501c3?

Actually, Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson run the PGA. The G-2. :tongue:

Seriously... I know a bit about pro golf... and I don't think the PGA commissioner is a dictator, per se.

And I know the top players (Woods, Mickelson, etc.) have input/clout, whatever you want to call it... but they don't run the show.

Plus... Woods, Mickelson and five other top players don't have their own Tour. :ph34r:

Edited by Fran Haring

A lot of us warned the "7" etc., about what would happen by making drum corps so expensive and by destroying the regional circuits. Since the late 1980s, Hopikins, Gibbs et al. wanted an elite 8 and to hell with everyone else. They are still trying to get it. That is why they have made it so expensive to run a corps, to kill off everyone else.

• Like 1

Ok Here's my thought...

Let them take their balls and go home.

When they fail to be financially successful they may reapply to DCI with the following steps:

1. They must formally reapply to the organization, including meeting financial stability requirements

2. The first year, they will perform in Exhibition pending review at the end of the season.

3. They will go on 1st at every show they attend, yes even before the Open Corps

4. No appearance fees for the first year since they will be in Exhibition status.

5. They are not allowed to bring back their original name. They must create a new identity.

While I would love to see these corps compete, I'm just as impressed with corps outside of this group. I would pay to see them just as much. As a CA kid growing up, I looked up to the Vanguard and to BD. Now I support PC just as much. The G7 said they want to be a part of DCI for years to come "If Possible." That sums it up for me. Good luck G7 and I look forward to seeing you on the road... just not in a stadium.

• Like 2

Amen to that, brother. And with that in mind, I have a proposal for this new fresh approach. DCI board, appoint a Commissioner. Give him absolute power. Just like professional baseball, hockey, basketball, etc. do. And I have just the person in mind, someone who is not a member of any junior corps or on the BOD or in the "7". Yes, a new, fresh, independent benevolent despot. I give you...

Mr. Scott Stewart.

And while we're on a roll, it's time for a fresh new direction. I suggest the following few decisive steps:

1. To the "7", buh-bye. Off you go, we wish you the best.

2. To the new DCI, we're going to rebrand and distinguish ourselves. Our mission will be excellence and crowd appeal. Therefore...

3. The use of Amps and electronics is hereby revoked.

4. The score sheets are to be re-worked to place the emphasis back on brass performance and less on visual.

5. The tour will have a Regional focus with the exception of the first 2 weeks in August. Regional circuits such as DCE and DCM will be reestablished. This will be done to cut costs.

6. We will work to find a permanent outdoor venue to host our championships.

Then "let the games begin" and may the best circuit prevail!

Unfortunatly I can only give this one plus but its multiplied by 100 does it count

Edited by ripper
  • Like 2

Ok Here's my thought...

Let them take their balls and go home.

When they fail to be financially successful they may reapply to DCI with the following steps:

1. They must formally reapply to the organization, including meeting financial stability requirements

2. The first year, they will perform in Exhibition pending review at the end of the season.

3. They will go on 1st at every show they attend, yes even before the Open Corps

4. No appearance fees for the first year since they will be in Exhibition status.

5. They are not allowed to bring back their original name. They must create a new identity.

While I would love to see these corps compete, I'm just as impressed with corps outside of this group. I would pay to see them just as much. As a CA kid growing up, I looked up to the Vanguard and to BD. Now I support PC just as much. The G7 said they want to be a part of DCI for years to come "If Possible." That sums it up for me. Good luck G7 and I look forward to seeing you on the road... just not in a stadium.

What would you propose if the opposite were to come true and the G7 shows came out on top and DCI shows showed a sharp decline? I'm not saying this is what I think will happen or want to happen-- just playing devil's advocate.

Actually this email bears no resemblance at all to the 2010 document. You may be right that it's merely camouflage for the same agenda, but most (nearly all) of the messages here don't even pretend to address the email. They simply reiterate the same tired, old content.

Ah, but the letter does reference the May 2010 events (ie the original reaction to the G7 proposal). And given that Hop has been pushing this same agenda (control and money to the top corps, woodwinds, electronics, bigger corps) pretty consistently since 1997 (at the time, he called it "Music on the Move"), I don't see why we would expect that their agenda is anything different.

Edited by skywhopper

I'm looking forward to seeing Jersey Surf and Crossmen in 2013. are they G7?

Edited by xbones7480
  • Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing Jersey Surf and Crossmen in 2013. are they G7?

No they aren't. The G7 consists of The Blue Devils, The Cadets, Carolina Crown, The Bluecoats, Santa Clara Vanguard, Phantom Regiment and the Cavaliers. The are consistently the seven best drum corps in DCI and they are the draw to the summer events. They have conference call once a week to talk about how great they are and how they can make more money since they do the heavy lifting.

A lot of us warned the "7" etc., about what would happen by making drum corps so expensive and by destroying the regional circuits. Since the late 1980s, Hopikins, Gibbs et al. wanted an elite 8 and to hell with everyone else. They are still trying to get it. That is why they have made it so expensive to run a corps, to kill off everyone else.

I hope Geoge Hopkinton and his Corps uses amplified flutes and a full bevy of hot clarinets to his hearts content in his new venture outside DCI too. I might even send my neighbor down the street that plays the flute to see if he can find a spot for her in line when he goes out on his band circuit with whoever wants to follow them out the door.

• Like 3