G7 Update

It strikes me that one member of the management of a G7 corps (Don Warren, Cavaliers) was present with the same organization when DCI broke away from the VFW, AL, et al.

It would be interesting to get a comparison from him of the issues that drove the corps away from the Veteran's organizations to the issues the G7 see with the current structure of the activity.

... or even better yet, to learn just how he feels about the G7 itself today.

I just wish we had specific proposals how to make DCI more marketable to performers and audience. Honestly, the G-7 leaders might well have CORRECT ideas how to kick-start DCI in a challenging economic environment. Like them, or not, these are intelligent and capable people. Too bad, all we can do is assume they are right or wrong. Based on what, exactly?

Their ideas were in the G7 proposal: eliminate Open Class, give the top 7 corps special treatment, more money, and total control over DCI.

I just wish we had specific proposals how to make DCI more marketable to performers and audience. Honestly, the G-7 leaders might well have CORRECT ideas how to kick-start DCI in a challenging economic environment. Like them, or not, these are intelligent and capable people. Too bad, all we can do is assume they are right or wrong. Based on what, exactly?

Is there anything now that prevents them from voicing their ideas and making proposals?

There certainly have been plenty of rules changes over the last decade that I would presume came from "G7" corps.

The problem is that they tend to make changes that increase the cost of operating a drum corps without any matching increase in attendance because that change was implemented. Electronics didn't add to attendance, as far as I can tell. But, it did become more equipment each corps had to buy.

That's because ROI in drum corps is measured in what score they get and not whether the additional cost to get that score meant any more revenue for the drum corps activity.

Just because someone is intelligent at one thing, doesn't make them have a marketing background or knowledge of econometrics. Does any G7 director have an MBA? Have they ever run a business other than their drum corps?

• Like 4

We thank you for your consideration and we ask that Mark Arnold inform David Gibbs of the current board/memberships response, before the close of business on Monday the 14th of January if possible. Such will make our own planning all the easier as the meeting dates move towards us.

So... I wonder if any response was given.

Good post, barigirl78!

I would hope the "specifics" do come out in closed door meetings. That those ideas are considered and acted upon fairly among equal partners. All we can do is remark at this public place and hope our opinions are considered. I believe they are. Actually, I know they are!

Edited by Fred Windish

You kind of imply (at least the way I read your point I quoted above) that the directors have intentionally not been engaging the DCI BoD for some reason, and I'm asking for some sort of definitive proof of this being the case. Do you know for a fact that this is the case?

I don't have the time to comb through the entire letter again, but I took this statement from the end of the letter to be good evidence that the G7 and the Board are rather estranged: "we ask that Mark Arnold inform David Gibbs of the current board/memberships response". Not strong evidence, but not the kind of thing you write to someone you're in good touch with.

I don't have the time to comb through the entire letter again, but I took this statement from the end of the letter to be good evidence that the G7 and the Board are rather estranged: "we ask that Mark Arnold inform David Gibbs of the current board/memberships response". Not strong evidence, but not the kind of thing you write to someone you're in good touch with.

If such is the case, the activity is already at it's end. It's been on life support for many years already. Here are three grave facts...

1) Drum corps cannot thrive financially without the support of DCI (which is why the first attempt to move on by the G7 did not materialize without DCI bailing them out by counter offering the "TOC concept").

2) Drum corps performance quality cannot thrive (as we currently know it) without the top corps.

3) Drum corps (or whatever the G7 may want to call it in the future) cannot thrive competitively with only 7 corps.

It's over........unless both sides can come to an agreement.

Edited by bmjfelts1988

If such is the case, the activity is already at it's end. It's been on life support for many years already. Here are three grave facts...

1) Drum corps cannot thrive financially without the support of DCI (which is why the first attempt to move on by the G7 did not materialize without DCI bailing them out by counter offering the "TOC concept").

2) Drum corps performance quality cannot thrive (as we currently know it) without the top corps.

3) Drum corps (or whatever the G7 may want to call it in the future) cannot thrive competitively with only 7 corps.

It's over........unless both sides can come to an agreement.

Ahh.....The DCI Cliff....yeah those VFW and American Legion guys predicted this would happen back in 72'

• Like 1