G7 Update

It strikes me that one member of the management of a G7 corps (Don Warren, Cavaliers) was present with the same organization when DCI broke away from the VFW, AL, et al.

It would be interesting to get a comparison from him of the issues that drove the corps away from the Veteran's organizations to the issues the G7 see with the current structure of the activity.

I can't imagine the Old Man will let them actually pull the plug and bolt DCI.

I just wish we had specific proposals how to make DCI more marketable to performers and audience. Honestly, the G-7 leaders might well have CORRECT ideas how to kick-start DCI in a challenging economic environment. Like them, or not, these are intelligent and capable people. Too bad, all we can do is assume they are right or wrong. Based on what, exactly?

except if you read Hop's manifesto, they admit they don't have the answer either

except if you read Hop's manifesto, they admit they don't have the answer either

He does say that, and to an extent it's likely true. But I think this is merely posturing: kind of Hop trying to make a point that they are not belittling anyone, thinking that the 7 are right & know anything while the others are wrong and know nothing, etc. In other wards, kind of pandering, stroking DCI directors' egos, and maybe being patronizing with a little disingenuous thrown in. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe that letter was kind of a rambling mess of contradictions. I think it's more calculated, though.

The activity has changed enough for me not to want to pay to see it in its current form. I'd rather enjoy the sights & sounds from my 20+ years in the activity (87-2008) that I have in my library. I last attended an event in 2011 and I left feeling bland and nonchalant. Not disparaging anything, just saying the truth.

While I hope you can get back the enthusiasm you used to have for drum corps, what has affected you in recent years is the same thing that seems to affect a lot of fans once the activity moves beyond their comfort zone. I came into drum corps in 1975, and even then I was hearing complaints that it wasn't what it used to be and wasn't fun for certain people anymore. I've probably heard that every year since.

I suspect that the point in drum corps' evolution that we come into the activity is what colors our response to it in subsequent years.

It's true that drum corps isn't what it used to be; but even so, it probably never was.

• Like 9

I think The Seven and DCI should experiment with bringing up a new ensemble - a DCI all-star group to be marketed for half time shows at pro football venues, high end parade performances, even a stage act and whatever else can be marketed and create income. The revenues would be split between the seven and DCI according to their investment level. If BD floats the first 40% of costs, they get first 40% of income. There would be no age limit, no rules of competition. It could be the Cirque de Soleil of drum corps. Like Blue Man Group, they could have "casts" for the various units. The kicker would be getting people interested in doing the gig for only travel costs and food, no pay. Heck, maybe there are people willing to pay to be in such an ensemble?

• Like 1

I think The Seven and DCI should experiment with bringing up a new ensemble - a DCI all-star group to be marketed for half time shows at pro football venues, high end parade performances, even a stage act and whatever else can be marketed and create income. The revenues would be split between the seven and DCI according to their investment level. If BD floats the first 40% of costs, they get first 40% of income. There would be no age limit, no rules of competition. It could be the Cirque de Soleil of drum corps. Like Blue Man Group, they could have "casts" for the various units. The kicker would be getting people interested in doing the gig for only travel costs and food, no pay. Heck, maybe there are people willing to pay to be in such an ensemble?

Blue Devils are doing this now.

While I see that as an idea worth investigating by interested parties, I don't see it as having much to do with the current situation regarding The Seven's latest proposal (ultimatum?)

• Like 1

I just wish we had specific proposals how to make DCI more marketable to performers and audience. Honestly, the G-7 leaders might well have CORRECT ideas how to kick-start DCI in a challenging economic environment. Like them, or not, these are intelligent and capable people. Too bad, all we can do is assume they are right or wrong. Based on what, exactly?

We have had many specifics from the corps formerly known as G7.

- Instant encores: Tried in the 2011 TOC shows, not a game changer, dropped in 2012.

- All corps play a song together at retreat: Tried in the TOC shows, not a game changer.

- I&E people performing all over before the show: Tried in the TOC shows, not a game changer.

- Standard performance order at all TOC shows: Tried in 2011, not a game changer, dropped in 2012.

- Dedicated TOC event coordinator and announcer at all TOC shows: Tried in 2012, not a game changer.

Given their own series of shows and latitude to deviate from the rules, this is all the G7 have shown us in two years.

To be fair, one other idea tried at TOC shows was an experimental scoring system in 2011, aspects of which were incorporated into the DCI sheets in 2012. This idea, however, was a DCI project that had been under development for several years, and it evidently had support from both G7 and other member corps. (And to be fully fair, it has not been a game changer either.)

Unfortunately, most of the specifics coming from Die Sieben have been internal power plays to obtain a greater share of the DCI money or vote count, not ideas to make drum corps more marketable to performers or audience, as you are inquiring about.

• Like 5