Pre-recorded Announcer

I'm flattered. :)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 1

I understand; but part of the excitement of being at a live show is it's LIVE.

I'm not suggesting this would be one step on the way to having all corps record their shows in a studio and then just march the drills to the pre-recorded music. (Though given time, someone else might suggest that. No names, please.) But there's something about the live variables that can happen at any time that makes the "must be there" quotient that much higher for any show.

Imagine the members knowing the announcement is going to be exact and perfect each and every time, and they learn to cue off that. And then at the big show, something goes wrong with the computer connection or the staff member responsible for activating the sound patch has gas and everything (except the gas) flies out the window.

Knowing things might not be the same at every show helps keep the members sharp and poised to deal with the times when everything isn't the same at every show.

I get your point, and this is all "pie in the sky" stuff, but your example is no different than a microphone malfunctioning right now during a corps show, or if the speaker stacks suddenly shorted out. Especially with modern DCI - think of Cavaliers' Mad World drum feature where electric guitar met tuba - all sorts of timing is attached to electronic instruments and effects. Adding the announcement is just one more cue.

Don't worry, though, we still don't have the technology to create RoboBoo. :tongue:/>

Mike

I grew up listening to Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn call Phillies games....Brandt and Fran are drum corps Harry the K and Whitey, their Madden and Summerall....let em go til they don't want to

The Tom McCarthy and Chris Wheeler of... wait, that's a bad example. tongue.gif

• Like 1

Knowing things might not be the same at every show helps keep the members sharp and poised to deal with the times when everything isn't the same at every show.

I concur, and maybe this is where the seven P's come into play.

Don't worry, though, we still don't have the technology to create RoboBoo. :tongue:/>/>

Mike

Oh, the technology is there; it's just forbidden by the Geneva Convention and additional UN proclamations.

Well if Brandt ever needed a vacation, I'd love to see this idea tried with a pre-recorded Stephen Hawking type voice.

Or someone with a Trach Ring. Lol